Author Topic: using an old fishtank??  (Read 1876 times)

Le-y

• Acre
  • Growing children and food in Norfolk
using an old fishtank??
« on: March 22, 2010, 12:59:23 »
I have an old 4ft fish tank waiting for the tip which i havent been able to shift on freecycle and was thinnking of turning it into a sort of coldframe greenhousey type thing.

can anyone think of a reason why i shouldnt?

I'm not going to frazzle anything underneath it am i?
First time allotment holder, second time mum.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: using an old fishtank??
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 13:06:50 »
I have one as well! Not sure about ventilation if used as a sort of coldframe greenhousey type thing, but I have seen it suggested elsewhere... I did think it might be useful for hardening off things, used the right way up but with no lid it would give a bit of protection from the elements.

I think mine is going to become an indoor bog garden but am still mulling it over.

Le-y

• Acre
  • Growing children and food in Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 15:13:58 »
yeah see i thought if it was propped up with a brick/bit of wood to let some air in?

maybe i will have to give it a go and see what happens!
First time allotment holder, second time mum.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 06:45:49 »
I used to use an old fishtank with aquarium heater as a propagator by filling it half full (or as little as I could get away with the heater) and putting capillary mat over a floating polystyrene raft.

I used to be able to go on holiday for weeks in late winter without any worries that it would run dry. It did get a bit hot in a sunny Spring though - really needed an auto vent by Easter.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 21:37:03 »
I used to have one that appeared in our skip overnight when we were having building work done. Stood me fine as a propogator for years until it finally bust.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal