Author Topic: Clay AND chalk soil  (Read 1558 times)

corriebee

Clay AND chalk soil
« on: April 08, 2010, 12:27:51 »
Well.  Here goes!

I became an allotment holder late last year in a lovely little site in Luton.  The plot was reclaimed from absolute chaos, and it looks like they've rotovated through everything, including some decent sized trees!

We've worked our little bottoms off to get the site cleared, dig up stumps, pull up roots etc and have covered the whole thing in weedproof matting.  Last weekend we created a couple of beds by cutting away the matting and bordering with timber.  I';ve built a compost heap with some pallets and spread some manure on the beds.   I think we're just about ready to go!

My concern is the soil type.  We seem to have very heavy, sticky soil (suggesting clay) but it also produces a helluva lot of chalk too!  Is this quite an unusual type of soil, and if so, does anyone have any advice on the potential pitfalls/benefits that await us?!  DFrom initial reading, it looks like we'll have to water a fair bit and may struggle to grow fruit?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
Re: Clay AND chalk soil
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 13:46:36 »
Congratulations on the new plot. It sounds like you're very thorough and organised!

I'm not an expert on soil types at all. You know there's another thread on here about dealing with clay soils - you might find those tips and links useful.

I'm also on very heavy clay, but although we're on the Downs - no sign of chalk. As far as I know you will still want to add lots of organic matter, and possibly some sand to improve the texture of the clay. It will take a few seasons but I'm sure you'll see some improvement.

You could take a look at what the others grow successfully on your site - at least you'll know you have a good chance of success with those crops. Then you can also experiment with one or two others each year.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 19:23:22 »
There is some info here on various soils;

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Alpha%20Index/S.htm

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 17:32:26 »
Well.  Here goes!

I became an allotment holder late last year in a lovely little site in Luton.  The plot was reclaimed from absolute chaos, and it looks like they've rotovated through everything, including some decent sized trees!

We've worked our little bottoms off to get the site cleared, dig up stumps, pull up roots etc and have covered the whole thing in weedproof matting.  Last weekend we created a couple of beds by cutting away the matting and bordering with timber.  I';ve built a compost heap with some pallets and spread some manure on the beds.   I think we're just about ready to go!

My concern is the soil type.  We seem to have very heavy, sticky soil (suggesting clay) but it also produces a helluva lot of chalk too!  Is this quite an unusual type of soil, and if so, does anyone have any advice on the potential pitfalls/benefits that await us?!  DFrom initial reading, it looks like we'll have to water a fair bit and may struggle to grow fruit?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

corriebee

sounds a bit like my soil.  Heavy alkaline clay.  Difficult to work because it is either very clumpy or sets like concrete.  Our ph is just over 7 and that means that raspberries don't like it.  But logan berries and blackberries are fine.  I can grow just about all veg too.

If your soil is very much more alkaline and over 7.5, it gets more difficult.  Here is a listing on what plants like or need what ph value:
http://soil.hostweb.org.uk/
Click on 'ph and Acidity' then on plants preference list in the main body of the text, then on fruit and vegetables to get to the list.  There is some good soil information on other parts of this site too, if you want to browse.

Soil ph meters are not very expensive.

Good luck.

flitwickone

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 19:10:55 »
good luck with the season Luton is my home town ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal