Should we encrypt the members gallery?

Yes!
3 (12%)
No!
14 (56%)
Don't care!
8 (32%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Members Gallery  (Read 8684 times)

Granny_Smith

• Half Acre
  • Of course its me - who else could look like this ?
Re:Members Gallery
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2004, 08:01:16 »
If Bionic Wellies can get away with four little untruths here is my description:

I'm 21 (again), very tall, slim and blonde.

Sorry folks, but I too wish to remain a faceless member, so you will just have to keep on dreaming.  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  
Granny is still your best friend !

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2004, 10:26:41 »
You know it strikes me as a little strange why those who dont like the idea of posting picture s are in fact getting involved in a debate on posting pictures. That said debate is good.

I am afraid a discription in writing will be no good. I am undescribable, and others could tell falsehoods and we'd not be able to prove it.

You know if i could get a small enough pic I'd make an avatar in my own image. I've nothing to hide or be afraid of.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2004, 10:49:10 by Richard F »

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2004, 10:42:23 »
Can't agree there, Richard, I think you're quite attractive :-))))

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2004, 13:25:20 »
Richard, you find it strange that I should enter this debate when I don`t like the idea of posting pictures.  There are two very good reasons:

1. Anybody reading my, and the previous, posting with even the most cursory of attention would have seen that tim specifically mentioned me and referred to my likeness in terms which indicated that he had, or had seen, it, and my reply was directly related to tim`s posting.  Your latest remarks appear to suggest comment without thought remarkable even for you..

2. Any subject raised on these boards is open to debate by all members, and the more controversial the subject, then the more important it is that we should all be entitled have our say.  After all, if we all refrained from posting on matters which did not personally affect us then there would be nobody to tell you what to do with your water-rooted cuttings or to answer your plaintive cries about carrot fly when you have couldn`t be bothered to read all the previous postings on the subject.

Furthermore, without such debate there would no doubt still be the childish and vainglorious system of `postings for stars`,as well as individuals expecting obeisance to their spurious and undeserved pretensions of godliness.

Like many other members of this site I am not consumed by either the need to publish my likeness or the belief that everybody else wishes to see it, nor do I particularly wish to see everybody else`s.  I prefer to judge my fellow members by the quality of their postings rather than their photographic ability.

rdak

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2004, 13:38:23 »
Hugh,

I really don't think it's a good idea to say things like:

(you) "couldn`t be bothered to read all the previous postings on the subject."

This "don't ask a question until you have read all previous posts about it" attitude is prevalent on many forums, but I'd like to think that people here are free to ask a question, no matter how many times it has been posted before. To act otherwise can make, in particular, newcomers feel too afraid to post a question.

Please let's not go down that road.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2004, 16:47:09 »
Whatever happens please don't let us have anyone else abandoning the site - we are all entitled to our own opinions and it is a very personal decision to post a picture or not and certainly should only concern the individual and not involve criticism by others - gentle encouragement yes - bully boy tactics No.  :o

Think Dan gave the answer - trust that pictuires posted will be "honest" likenesses only.  Don't see the point of verbal descriptions really -  because, guess what, Granny Smith could have been describing me NOT  ;D  

All in all I suppsoe the internet is made for privacy and "secrecy" and if people do not feel comfortable sharing a photo that's perfectly fine - I put on a photo but won't put on my e-mail address - same difference....
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2004, 17:58:14 »
I think anonimity (sp) helps internet conversation.Pre-conceived notions or group psychology are outa the window.You can be you.

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2004, 18:29:18 »
Ross, you haven`t done your homework.  Richard is not a newcomer asking his first question. The postings about carrot fly and fleece that I referred to have all been during Richard`s membership and when I pointed this out to him his reply was "Don`t presume that I read all the postings on this board".

And to anyone else who thinks that I have been harsh with Richard I will say "Yes, intentionally. His posting was deliberately offensive and a completely unprovoked attempt to `needle` me. Unfortunately he has apparently forgotten from a previous occasion that this inevitably brings retribution.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2004, 18:36:06 »
Ken - doesn't anonominity (sp) = pre-conceived?? = Tim

rdak

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2004, 18:53:18 »
Hugh,
I am well aware that Richard is not a newcomer. But I stated that newcomers "in particular" would be put off posting if there was an obligation to thoroughly read every post on this site to check whether their question had been previously answered by someone. But many people who have been here for a long time would also feel that they are not free to post without "doing their homework".

I really don't see how Richard's post can be seen as "offensive"; but if you thought so, perhaps it might have been better to politely point that out, rather than engage in what you yourself call "retribution".

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2004, 22:11:08 »
DEAR OH DEAR OH DEAR IS IT NOT TIME TO STOP ALL THIS PLEASE IT IS GETTING VERY UNPLEASANT.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2004, 00:23:39 »
Illness has kept me off line for a couple of days (may be too much information) but I’m not saying it for a little sympathy but more for a point that I do not care who knows.

We have a telephone book that I no longer can tear in half that has full names and address’s of peeps I can phone and annoy and even visit to my hearts content. :o

I can surf the internet and find out loads about peeps, and a simple visit to Friends Reunited will tell me more than I want to know about people, but I just don’t have the time or the inclination and noticed this thread has turned into a bit of an issue over a simple mugshot. ::)

We don’t even know for sure if the images we are looking at are genuine or not, but we don’t care, ::) we just look at a picture of what we think is a member and hold that image in our mind when we chat with them, ??? for all we know we might be talking to Lord Lucan or Mrs Bucket. :D

I have no less respect or fewer feelings for anyone who prefers to remain anonymous, in fact to give you an example, I would not like to see an image, genuine or not of either Ross or Palustris as their Avatars are embedded in my mind and to see a picture would spoil it for me. :-\

I was hoping this thread would help to solve the problem that occurred, shame it hasn’t but it makes interesting reading. ;D

Let,s stay friends, ;) love you loads, all link arms and have cyber hugs, ahhh! :) that’s better. Mwarr* ;D ;D

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2004, 09:04:53 »
Couldn't have put it better  myself Roy :D  Come on folks - lighten up, this is supposed to be a 'fun' forum  :-* :D :)

Oh by the way - hope you are feeling better now Roy, sorry to hear you have been ill :-* :-*
« Last Edit: November 19, 2004, 09:06:28 by Gardengirl »
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2004, 10:45:54 »
You know I didnt expect this reaction when I made my post. personaly I think Hugh has overreacted to what was a light hearted 'dig'  rather than a serious criticism. This is still (just about) a free country and a free forum, and people are free to have their own veiws and feelings . I respect that.

I dont know how anyone can consider me ungratefull for the advice i have received on this forum, based purely on a sinlge comment. I stress i am gratefull to all help and advice received.  On the flip side i am always happy to offer advice and help if I can.

I should point out however that sometimes i need advice in a hurry and do not have time to trawl through pages and pages of posts to find the answer I need. It is often quicker to start a new thread and ask the question afresh for the benefit myself and others who might need the same advice but are afraid to ask.  Sorry if this inconviniences anyone. If you really dont like the way I work, just say and I'll go elsewhere.   :(

Yellow Petals

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2004, 13:46:00 »

Furthermore, without such debate there would no doubt still be the childish and vainglorious system of `postings for stars`,as well as individuals expecting obeisance to their spurious and undeserved pretensions of godliness.

Hehehehe!

ava_banana

• Acre
  • EmmaJane's handyman
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2004, 14:06:51 »
Management by committee.................and they said it would never work......... ::) ::) :P

Anyway, sorry to come between the crossed swords, but in the interests of coming to a decision (which we don't actually have to have as we are all free to do and say as we wish (within the given guidelines of course)) I would like to suggest we either;

a) stick to the thread we have with photos, but people try to keep the comments to a minimum; or

b) create a new thread to which people can post photos with a minimum description (along the lines of "I am the skinny one on the right" to aid identification) and have a separate thread perhaps entitled "comments to photos".

There you have it, only my opinion but I really do think sometimes we are in danger of making a little too much out of a very simple thing. If people want to post, they can, if they don't, they don't have to.

And one last comment from me, since I am standing on this soapbox. :P

This is a virtual world, if people don't want to post photos, they don't have to, if people don't want to comment they don't have to and if people don't want to look at the photos they don't have to.

At the end of the day if you have a dissagreement it is far more polite to take it to PMs/email than to do all this washing of dirty linen in public.

I am sorry for the long post. I will try to return to just posting small nearly amusing 1 liners...... ;D
....we are all visitors to this earth........enjoy your stay.....:)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2004, 16:55:51 »
I prefer option B of Ava's.

But thats just my opinion  ;D

Yellow Petals

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2004, 18:43:18 »
Ahem <clears throat>  Seems to me that whilst people are happy to post their suggestions, nobody is interested in what they say?  Lots of people are suggesting the same thing, some people aren't suggesting anything at all (which is fine) but as long as you continue NOT listening to each other, the problem will never be solved.

If you look at the top of this thread, you will see the answer is quite conclusive, if you weigh up the "yes" and "don't care" responses against the "no", it can be seen how the majority of peeps were quite happy with how things were.

From my own personal point of view, I think one thread for photographs with "no talk" and another thread to discuss such photographs is quite silly.  You will have posters going back and forth between the two each time somebody comments on any one photograph which has been posted.  That's not really sensible is it?  You read the post, you want to look at the picture which is being spoken about, so you close one thread, pop over to the pictures thread, look at said picture, close the thread, go back to where you were in the first place and post up your own comments, which, most probably, will in turn have somebody else curious enough to do the same.....and so on and so forth.

Did this little melee start because of the two or three offending pictures posted up in the members piccie dept?  If so, it shouldn't matter now as those peeps apologised and disappeared?  It hadn't been done before, it hasn't been done since so why all the discontent?    

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2004, 19:23:21 »
 I must agree with the post by YP it does all make sense .  I personally think all this nonsense with the who said what should die a death now. everyone must be sick silly and tired of it all.
We have one of the best sites ever here why should people spoil it,
lets just enjoy it,  life is far to short for sillys.
Come on everyone.la la la la la la la  :P :P
TALK KEEP TALKING HAPPY TALK, TALK ABOUT THINGS YOU LIKE TO DO.Mmmmm Mmmmm do de do do.ok i`ll go to see South Pacific
to get the music right. ::).

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2004, 20:27:24 »
Keep taking the tablets Rosebud, you'll be alright...they're coming to take me away ha ha they're coming to take me away, to the funny farm ha ha he he ho ho! ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal