Author Topic: Panachee or Brunswick or...  (Read 776 times)

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
Panachee or Brunswick or...
« on: April 06, 2010, 22:09:39 »
I have decided to get a fig.  I know for certain I don't like Brown Turkey (the ones that are usually in the shops) but prefer the paler, softer more nectar-y figs. 

T&M have Brunswick and Panachee varieties.  Please can anyone give me some advice on which might fit my brief? Even if it is 'neither of them' ! ;D

For reference it will live in a pot (on wheels) in a SSE facing garden. In hard winters it can be relocated to a covered corridor where my more tender plants have survived this winter wrapped in fleece.

Any advice/comments are most welcome!

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
Re: Panachee or Brunswick or...
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 22:38:04 »
I find White Marseilles is sweeter, more delicious and softer than Brown Turkey and does well outdoors.

It's generally regarded as the next best (after Brown Turkey) for outdoor conditions in the mid to south UK and indoors further north.

That still means it will produce slightly less in the same conditions - so make a bit more effort on placing it for a good crop.

It's not hard to find since - as I said - it's the next most recommended.

Reads of Norfolk have one of the widest ranges in the UK: http://www.readsnursery.co.uk/acatalog/Green-or-White-Figs.html

Incidentally Brunswick is also recommended by many but experts say it is big and sweet but lacks real flavour.

Panachee is striped and pretty but it's a greenhouse variety anyway.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 22:40:59 by Vinlander »
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal