Author Topic: Need help with rhubarb..seeds and buying new crowns  (Read 1690 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Need help with rhubarb..seeds and buying new crowns
« on: April 05, 2010, 05:56:00 »
Hi, I need help ..

1.I have some rhubarb seeds coming up and I don't know what to do with them?

Ok I asked for that...

They have sprouted but are very stretched due to poor light, can I bury them like I would for tomatoes, right up to the leaf or is that too deep.

2.For the first time in my life I haven't inherited a rhubarb patch so forgetting the seeds above, I want to buy crowns but there seem to be so many  varieties  known both sides of the pond that are available to me  and I truly don't know which to buy..

All help is appreciated , seeds are donkeys years old and I have no idea what they are.

XX Jeannine

PS Feel free to start your rhubarb jokes now.

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
Re: Need help with rhubarb..seeds and buying new crowns
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 08:48:35 »
Haven't grown Rhubarb from seed before. But have had crowns - Victoria and Champagne which are still going. Not very impressed with Victoria as very tart even for Rhubarb. Champagne was a bit better and my preferred one for ages.  But have to say the one that wins hands down now is one I bought from Marshalls "Fultons Strawberry Surprise", it has entirely pink/red stems and for Rhubarb a slightly less acidic flavour.

So from my experience the ones that are bred to have pink/red stems all the time are best.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 09:03:36 »
Yep..that's might be too deep...they are quite likely to survive that,,,but there is a chance that they may rot too and they are supposed to stretch for the light.
Just plant them a  little bit deeper and larger pots for now and when they out grow the pot then do as you wish with dept, as they are that much stronger by then...
Is rhubarb widely grown and used over there?..just wondering...

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 09:12:35 »
I bought a couple of crowns from an established supplier the other week and put them in a raised bed, after a visit to the lotty yesterday they have come on a treat, :)

no-lottie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 10:02:04 »
What has sprouted is going to be the leaf of a new stem, so I wouldn't worry too much about them looking leggy, as they will sort themselves out after the first few stems are removed.

I'm no help with variety, as mine are usually gifted by someone who doesn't know the name either.  ;)

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 13:22:38 »
Just got a couple of stockbridge arrow from T&M. Was trying to get hold of stockbridge harbinger which is dead tasty but doesn't seem to be available anywhere at a reasonable price over here. Find Victoria a bit watery & not fantastically nice. Have only just got my two, fairly small, crowns into buckets so won't be able to report back on taste for a bit  :)

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 20:19:02 »
I believe seed does not necessarily come true, which is why it is most often propagated as crowns. Still you might get an interesting variant.

I have Glaskins Perpetual which is meant to be lower in oxalic acid.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 20:44:19 »
It is popular here. I wanted a really deep red one but taste is important too.I only want to buy crowns or gallon bucketed, if these seeds come to anything it is a bonus.

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal