Author Topic: first sprouts  (Read 2572 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
first sprouts
« on: November 15, 2004, 12:46:03 »
My darling step daughter gobbled up my first picking of brussels on Sunday and reakoned they were the best she had ever eaten!  They were only small, but they were so sweet!  A success!!  ;D

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re:first sprouts
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 13:07:34 »
Oh I jealous.

We had some on Saturday. But they were shop bought. Yummy though, but I bet not as good as yours! I can't wait until next year!
gone to pot :D

GardnerJ

• Acre
  • Oh my God I have Allot-Mania!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 14:27:35 »
mine have not been great (my first year!) and i was wondering if you have to peel loads of layers off firsrt before the sprout is good enough to eat? i am only saying as my piddly sprouts have little holes on the first few layers? i must admit there is a family of snails living in the tops of my sprout plants! next year i will be covering all my brassicas!
jemma x

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 15:00:45 »
Well done EJ-the first helping is tonight ;)

Stephan

JerryB

• Quarter Acre
  • I LOVE WEEDOL!!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 15:18:55 »
I have been told by some of the more experiences lottie holders that i should remove the bottom leaves of my sprouts to encourage growth of the actual sprouts themslves? Any comments???  :-\

salad muncher

• Quarter Acre
  • Wish I grew more
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 17:42:33 »
Hi Jerry B you and anyone this may help, I found that removing the lower sprouts that were blown helped as they did not seem to be any good to eat and always pick from bottom up once I started to pick they just keep on coming remember to use the tops like a cabbage when you have finished picking.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 17:52:47 »
Good on ya EJ.  Was checking my sprouts at the lottie yesterday.  Looking good - 4 plants nice and plump, the others a little small, so saving the nice ones for Christmas.  They are still surrounded by white fly, but fortunately it is not affecting them too much.  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2004, 18:25:22 »
I showed her how to prepare them, and she peeled 4 leaves from each. She was thrilled, didn't know how sprouts grew and I was chuffed to see that they had no damage from bugs.  We have the last for dindins tonight, just a handful as they are really meant for Christmas Day, but I have to check for quality  ;) and picking the lower smaller ones should encourage the higher bigger beasts to grow even more!

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2004, 18:37:41 »
Aren't they great EJ.  We had an earlier maturing variety this year and have had a few pickings and already frozen some - but they are pretty big individuals and I really prefer the sllightly smaller ones.  We usually grow Peer Gynt so I must look for the packet and see what these are - very nice tho and all standing well.  I#ve left the net frame over them - think it breaks the wind and helps them stand.  Have ordered two varieties for next year one early and one later maturing (at least that's the theory!!)

By the way that's excellent getting a wee one to enjoy sprouts - ours like the look (wee/dolly cabbages) but don;t go for the taste and smell  :(
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2004, 18:43:06 »
They are my NUMBER ONE most fave veg in the world EVER!  She is a good girl and loves her greens, just wish my two would be so good.

Next year I have a late one, can't remember which, but good for Chrissy harvest, and Red Rum and I am planning to try and grow things multi coloured!  ;D

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2004, 11:43:48 »
We have managed to salvage some edible sprouts from our slightly "blown" collection and they are really very nice. I wasn't really a sprout fan, but think I would grow anything I've grown myself. But personally, i have found the leaves of the sprout plants to be far more delicious and  cooked a whole "top" the other night and since then have been stealing leaves from the lother plants.
Our Kale has started to be ready and that is so delicious, I am amazed. And even more amazed to see the children (2 and 4) gobbling it up. I do really think that having the plot makes them much more likely to eat their veg.

Sarah.

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2004, 11:51:39 »
Blown sprouts are not a total write off. We shred them a little with a sharpe knife and then fry in a touch of sesame oil. Very nice with a lovely nutty bite to them.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Tenuse

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2004, 13:59:32 »
I am very jealous of you all talking about eating sprouts, I was way too late in planting out my sprout plants so they are only a foot high - no chance of sprouts on them this winter!

Does anybody know if they will grow sprouts in the Spring instead?

Ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2004, 15:47:28 »
No expert you understand Tenuse but it would depend on the variety - if it was a late one for sowing in April and planting out around June then they could stand until February/March so I wouldn't give up hope!
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2004, 18:05:15 »
My sprouts are tiddlers.  Is that because I picked the tops too soon?  The stick seems to have run out of steem.  Yummy all the same though.  Should I take all the leaves off, would that help them at all ?
Get with the beat Baggy

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2004, 18:39:03 »
I would say DON'T wait till the sprouts are finished before you eat the top. Take it at its best & firmest - a real treat.

Sadly, we're buying from the market this year. If anyone else has to, go for the stems with really  good tops. = Tim

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2004, 19:28:59 »
our first year too.not brill and many blown but what we picked sunday were lovely! ;D :P :P :P ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2004, 23:34:40 »
Wow Tim, they are good heads!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal