Author Topic: I did not know that chickens got concerned  (Read 1819 times)

cocopops

• Acre
I did not know that chickens got concerned
« on: March 20, 2010, 19:13:31 »
Last week one of my alpha hens stood in the same spot for over half an hour without moving.  One of the other girls kept looking at her and pecking round her beak.  After a while another two hens came and did the same thing, heads tilting side to side.  My husband went in to check that there was nothing in her throat that they were trying peck out.  After he lifted her and put her down she moved slowly.  Next day we expected the worse but she was running round being her usual self.  It was weird but that is chickens for you.

ginnyknit

• Not So New ...
Re: I did not know that chickens got concerned
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 20:30:09 »
 I have found that despite their tiny brains some hens are quite intelligent. One of my girls gets concerned about things and has to be consoled more than the other 2. They certainly do more than eat and poo! She does seem to call me out of the house if something is bothering her and while we have been sorting out the garden she gets worked up if something moves in her line of sight that wasn't there before. But I do think the major tantrum over a carrier bag blowing about was a bit over the top - I thought she was at least being murdered ::)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 21:08:54 »
hiya, ginnyknit, welcome to a4a  ;D
we have one who crows like a cockerel every time one of the others lays an egg  ;D

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 19:03:25 »
Ginny, hello and welcome.

Aren't they great even if they do go a bit over the top sometimes.  Yours don't like plastic bags, mine hate anything from a sheet of plastic roofing, my rug when it is being cleaned to the lawn mower.

I am glad the weather is getting better so I can sit outside with my book and watch the silly lot.

Enjoy A4A, it is a great site with some lovely people.

DolphinGarden

• Acre
  • skip skavenger
    • Facility of the Month, Warrington Cycle Camaign
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 16:56:19 »
Yeah,

I threw mine over the hedge into next door's today. (house is empty apart from students that don't use it. They have a passage back through the hedge)
After a while I noticed they were back in, near the back door. I opened the back door to say hello and then noticed a cat in 'prowl' stance- so I chased moggy away and let them in the kitchen for 5 mins.

smart girls indeed.

ginnyknit

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 19:12:38 »
Thanks for the welcome guys, very nice to be here. Sounds like everyone is as daft as me about their chooks ;D I don't honestly know how I wasted my day before I got them. My Daughter is living with us at present while waiting to deliver my grandson and announced recently that she doesnt really like the girls much - Oh yeh! she now wakes me up with the news of how many eggs we have tho she doesnt actually touch them yet due to bump. Im sure before she leaves here she will be found wandering round the garden with them following her ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal