Author Topic: Bulbs already appearing  (Read 1662 times)

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Bulbs already appearing
« on: November 15, 2004, 10:17:43 »
Some of my bulbs are already appearing through the soil. I can't remember where I planted everything so not sure what they are but I think it's the crocuses. Does anyone else have crocuses appearing yet? I'm worried they're coming up too soon or is now about the right time?  :-\

Also one of my lovely hens scratched/pecked the shoots off some of the bulbs  >:( (have now made them hen proof), will they re-shoot or is that it for those bulbs.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
Re:Bulbs already appearing
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 10:59:23 »
non-hen-pecked bulbs are fine - don't worry, they are perfectly hardy.
If damage slight, you may be lucky. completely munched: ahem! I have been too enthusiastic with the hoe and have mangled bulbs of my own - they always seem prone to any virus or disease going once they have been wounded and the foliage looks battered.
cheers, suzy

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 11:32:45 »
My snow-drop like alliums have been showing leaf since the end of August. They don't flower until May, though. Loads of my other bulbs are poking through too. But no need to panic. I think they must like to build up a store of food from the green stuff (can't spell chloro-thingy) before they flower.
gone to pot :D

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 11:43:26 »
Thanks for that, was worried the green shoots would get damaged by heavy frosts or snow (if/when it comes). The bulbs damaged by the hen(s) have the green shoots completely munched off so guess there's not much hope for them then, fortunately it's only a handful they got to before I introduced anti-hen measures.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal