Author Topic: Does any one actually use their microwave to cook in?  (Read 8093 times)

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
Re: Does any one actually use their microwave to cook in?
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2010, 11:32:37 »
Just tried the poached eggs in the microwave, came out perfect, I have 2 yummy poached egg sandwiched with ketchup for my dinner, ty ty ty. ;D
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2010, 09:19:28 »
We love our microwave, and it's in frequent use in preparing dishes.  We have a small commercial machine, so no stupid turntable, which makes life much simpler (and cleaning easier).

We normally use it to par-cook vegetables prior to assembling the completed dish.  But it also cooks carrots, courgettes, mushrooms, aubergines, leeks, onions (when you want them soft but not browned), and many other veg better than any other device.  It certainly keeps the nutrients and vitamins better than any other method.

It's also good for steamed fish, although many recipes need the skin to be crisped briefly under the grill.  I guess a combination oven would do that too.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2010, 16:29:27 »
They're not which is why the doors have a protective grill in them and people are advised not to stand in front of them when they're on.

I've done something to mine.  First I dropped the platter which broke into a hundred pieces.  Then I left a cup of coffee too long and it seems to have steamed up the works as now it blows the fuses.  Good job I don't depend on it for cooking then.
Obxx - Vendée France

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2010, 16:32:14 »
Mines for porridge in the morning, rice (cooks in 10 mins and absorbs the chicken stock I cook it in), and to start jacket potatoes off ( then in oven for 30 mins cos I like crispy skins). Other than that no.

Thinking about it, it takes a lot of space up for limited use. Not sure any other gadget would get that.

vjm63

• Quarter Acre
    • Living in Estia
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2010, 18:40:21 »
Well I find ours is used a lot for baked potatoes (I know they do not crispy up, but we prefer them this way), micro pizzas, poached eggs, milk for hot chocolate, I would not do scrambled egg in a pan now (saucepan is a pain to clean) and plenty of chocolate cakes!

A lot of use has been because it is a simple and relatively safe way of teaching/getting teens to cook - we have a gas oven, and I trust them more with microwaving things than risking forgetting to switch the oven on, or off, or leaving the gas taps turned on... particularly when they are home alone! Now they do use the oven and hob with no problems, but that also means they have learned basic cooking both ways.

It is also a quicker way for them to produce food whenever they decide they are hungry (frequent - two boys) - they can feed themselves.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal