Author Topic: How long do Shallots take to start showing top growth?  (Read 1572 times)

kippers garden

• Hectare
How long do Shallots take to start showing top growth?
« on: April 03, 2010, 07:13:51 »
I planted my shallots in modules on 26th Feb as the ground at my allotment was so wet.  Two weeks ago i planted them out on my plot (when conditions were alot better).  The shallots all had roots at this stage.

My question is....how long will it be before i see any growth on the top of the shallots (i'm sure when i've grown them before thay have shown growth quicker than this).

My onion sets which i put straight into the soil two weeks ago are nearly all showing top growth
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: How long do Shallots take to start showing top growth?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 18:28:07 »
It's hard to be exact, but they are inclined to get their roots well esrablished first before putting up top growth, and with the weather being colder again that might have affected them too despite them being started off in modules. Don't worry, as long as they haven't been pulled up by birds or rotted away in very poor draining soil they will show their heads soon!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Jokerman

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 16:43:25 »
I planted mine on 7th feb and only now they are coming through..... they def sprouted quicker last year........     ::)
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” ~ Tolkien

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 18:55:07 »
Mine took just under 4 weeks straight in the ground, deffo slower this year.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 19:31:50 »
Mine still keeping their heads down as well.

GlentoranMark

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 19:23:54 »
Me too, no signs of growth while my garlic and onions are sprouting up nicely. I planted some elephant garlic which also isn't showing.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 07:16:47 »
They should be showing any time now with the long awaited temperature change. It takes a few days for the soil temperature to catch up.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal