Author Topic: Are CUP measurments instead of weight driving you crazy too?  (Read 12032 times)

qahtan

• Hectare
  • Niagara Peninsula, ontario,,, canada.
Re: Are CUP measurments instead of weight driving you crazy too?
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2010, 16:34:59 »
 This is UK tablespoon on the left and Canadian table spoon on the right.
  http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y58/qahtan/november%2009/102_0180.jpg

I still use both depending on the recipe I am using.

My UK tablespoons were my mums,as are the salt spoons, mustard spoons, coffee spoons and soup spoons, all things I have yet to see here.
 goodness knows how old these items are are, they were brought to Canada with us 45 years ago from UK after surviving like my mum and I
 being bombed out in 1943.
 PS American cup is 8 ozs,      qahtan

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2010, 19:21:34 »
Yes you are right, the tablespoon on the left is one from an old cutlery set, the one on the right is a measuring spoon.. you are comparing apples to oranges. If you use an VERY OLD  English recipe that calls for a tablespoon,used by folks who didn't have scales and  before measuring spoons were available in the UK  you would be right to use that one, but if you tried to use it in a modern recipe it would be as useless as your other one would be perfect. The recipe you would be using would clearly indicate which you were to use by the way it was written, you can pick out the very old English ones easlily and know you need to use the old serving spoon.

If you compare a UK measuring spoon to a US measuring spoon you would find they are identical. The teaspoons are also identical with the OZ set too.

Bear in  mind that the old UK tablespoon that you have was originally used on the table as a serving spoon.

Yes, US cup is 8 fluid ounces. which is 237 mls , UK and OZ are metric and are 250mls, very little difference. I have all three sets of cups and three sets of spoons, simply bcause the OZ set was a gift  from my brother in OZ ,came with a book,the  UK set I bought before my furniture and baggage arrived from Canada when I was there and I needed a cup and spoon set. I still usually use the orange Tupperware set I bought in the 70s here in Canada.

I taught classes in the UK using baking cups and spoons we used the UK ones but my recipes were from all over the world, mostly American and Australian..

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 19:31:39 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

qahtan

• Hectare
  • Niagara Peninsula, ontario,,, canada.
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2010, 19:29:18 »
I must admit I didn't know that there were measuring spoon sets in UK, and yes the UK table spoons do get used as serving spoons.
 though the serving spoons that came with my Canadian canteen of cutlery are the same size as UK ones, only posher.;-)))))     qahtan

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2010, 19:33:30 »
Yep, they have them in all the supermarkets now, folks are starting to use them. the ones I taught swear  by them, they couldn't afford scales and found it really easy. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal