Author Topic: Garlic  (Read 4032 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Garlic
« on: March 03, 2010, 13:32:03 »
Hi Guys,

I appear to still have loads of garlic from last year and i have now been given 1/2 a kg from a friend any ideas what i can do with this garlic as i am not sure i am going to get though it all before it starts to loose its best.

Cam

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Garlic
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 13:49:15 »
Chop it up and freeze it in ice cube trays.  When frozen pop em into a bag and use when needed.
Or blend and put into a jar with some olive oil to cover - lasts a few months..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 23:21:55 »
Freezing is fine, but please DON'T attempt to store garlic by just covering in oil. This isn't really safe, as there is a very real danger that bacteria such as botulism can develop, and can cause severe illness.
Read this link:
http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/Acm636.pdf

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 03:00:19 »
thanks guys i have some in the freezer to drop into soups and stuff and have been roasting it and serving with fresh bread instead of garlic bread...

Any recipies like roast chicken with 40 cloves of garlic out there?

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 07:49:06 »
Freezing is fine, but please DON'T attempt to store garlic by just covering in oil. This isn't really safe, as there is a very real danger that bacteria such as botulism can develop, and can cause severe illness.
Read this link:
http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/Acm636.pdf

Sorry forgot to add that I fry mine off quickly in a little hot oil before storing in oil..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 09:01:44 »
I remember ordering chicken with garlic in a lovely Restaurant on the sea front in Lanzerote some years ago.

You could not see the half chicken for the little roast garlic cloves. Not what I expected but it was delicious. The garlic had been simply roasted in olive oil and tasted nutty rather than the strong taste we know. I ate the lot.

I have also seen it gently roasted as a whole bulb and every bit is then squeezed out like a paste and served spread on toast, like a pate.

There are some recipes too for garlic soup on the following link.

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/778/ 

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 09:10:34 »
What about pickled garlic, this is the recipe from River Cottage (I've not tried it yet)

Makes 3 x 225g jars:
500g new season's garlic bulb
1 tsp fennel seeds
about 12 peppercorns
4-6 bay leaves
200ml cider vinegar
50g granulated sugar
good pinch of saffron

Boil a large pan of water, plunge in garlic to loose skin (up to 60 secs) drain, peel and pat dry.
Pack garlic into jars, drop in fennel seeds, pepper corns and bay leaves into warm sterilised jars
Put vinegar, sugar, and saffron into pan. Boil for a couple of mins. pour hot vinegar over garlic.
Seal jars and use within a year.

Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 09:13:48 »
Garlic soup...used to be a place in Cambridge which made a fantastic cream of garlic soup....if anyone has a recipe I'd be delighted as I don't have one.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 14:19:02 »
Ooh Cam! That mention of pickled garlic reminded me that someone here years back used to pickle garlic...he said his children ate them like sweeties, so certainly worth googling recipes for it if you don't fancy the River Cottage one (tho it looks good). 8)

Btw for mums here - is it right that garlic will flavour breast milk?

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 16:08:22 »
Btw for mums here - is it right that garlic will flavour breast milk?

Yes, human breast milk is quite sweet, strong flavours and medicines can be passed into it.
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 17:56:41 »
Instilling a love of garlic into babes at the earliest age ain't a bad thing, is it? ;D

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 18:06:24 »
If you go to Delia on-line and put in  -chicken garlic-   you will find the 40 cloves of garlic recipe.  If you have a problem post again and I will type it out on here.
I do mine in a slow cooker and it is delicious.   Lovely sliced cold too.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 02:19:32 »
It always amazes me how these postings get 'twisted' into other topics. But it is a learning curve.

Apparently raw garlic was rubbed on the soles of the feet of volunteers (they had deliberately not eaten any)  and the following day their breath smelled (or is that smelt?) of garlic.

The whole body absorbs and when some one is adrift at sea and can not drink the sea water, it can be given through the bowels. A sea water enema and has been known to save lives and the tube along with a funnel is provided in life boats with instructions. (so I am told)

Breast milk is effected by what we eat breathe and absorb through the skin.

A friend of mine could not eat cabbage whilst breast feeding because it always gave the baby 'the runs'. It does not effect every one that way. *

Gluten is used in some skin preparations and soaps, it should not be used by celiacs, likewise any cosmetics with any milk products in them should not be used by the lactose intolerant. Coconut is used in a lot of products and they can be a problem for nut allergies.

Egg white is used for some vaccines and again those with egg allergies can not have these vaccines. So have to leave themselves open to infection.

We accept it when a diabetic friend adds their own sweeteners to the beverage we offer them instead of sugar, but few of us realise that  our other guests are not being 'funny' when they need to carry their own food additives or alternatives with them when they visit. 

It is not just the religious differences, nor is it faddiness, some people just can not tolerate things and in fact they can get very ill if they consume what is offered.

So please be an understanding host when your guest asks you if you mind them using their own stuff or tells you that they can not eat or use what you have generously provided. It is not a reflection on your hosting skills. Allow them to freely offer you to provide for them what their needs require.

When my daughter, nearly 40 years ago, was diagnosed, relatives and friends were totally confused and we became  almost social lepers because she could not eat or drink what was provided. Some were very rude, others tried to buy some thing special which they thought was right and turned out to be very wrong, then  they got offended.  Which is understandable, bless them, they tried but I could not allow my child to be ill, just to avoid hurting their feelings.

Today, people are a lot more aware but it still needs work.

*Humans survive partially because of the very varied died we can manage, not all of us can continue to process all sorts all our lives and frequently find as we get older we get what the Americans politely call 'gas'.

Two alternatives here, take a pill or find out what it is and stop eating it.

I will stop at this point.   

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 09:30:33 »
Thanks guys will have to look into those 2 recipies.

As for tainting milk yep been told that as well but not tested it out though ;)

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 15:34:17 »
  Garlic chicken recipe please.Tomatoada. ;D

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 16:26:12 »
My lovely neighbour's baby has terrible eczema & is not gaining weight as he should. She has been told to cut out dairy as she is breast feeding

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 17:52:20 »
My lovely neighbour's baby has terrible eczema & is not gaining weight as he should. She has been told to cut out dairy as she is breast feeding

How old is the baby?
Is it mum who has been told to stop eating the Dairy?
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal