Author Topic: Are CUP measurments instead of weight driving you crazy too?  (Read 12048 times)

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
Every time I find an interesting recipe on the net the measurements come in cups.

It has been driving me crazy.

I have found this site which tells you a lot more conversions than any other.

http://www.recipes4us.co.uk/us_cups_to_weight.htm

I am sure it will be useful to most cooks.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Are CUP measurments instead of weight driving you crazy too?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 15:49:37 »
Thought you were talking about Bras for a moment!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 15:59:36 »

:P

Le-y

• Acre
  • Growing children and food in Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 16:40:39 »
yes that annoys me, but then working in metric only annoys me too! why can't they just put both for ease! (although i was taught metric at school i still use imperial, go figure)
First time allotment holder, second time mum.

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 18:09:23 »

Me too, then remembered this was in recipes  ;D

I always worry that they don't use the same 'cup'. Is it one of the standard cup measures, or have they just grabbed a cup from the cupboard? At least when it's a proper measurement you're sure you've got it right. Baking isn't the sort of thing that you can mess about with!

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 18:15:26 »
I agree completely. It drives me nuts, particularly as a cup of X doesn't weigh the same as a cup of Y. I blame the Americans (Australians do it too) - they like to think with home baking they're in Little House of the Prairie, and proper scales haven't been invented

Le-y

• Acre
  • Growing children and food in Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 18:32:31 »
I agree completely. It drives me nuts, particularly as a cup of X doesn't weigh the same as a cup of Y. I blame the Americans (Australians do it too) - they like to think with home baking they're in Little House of the Prairie, and proper scales haven't been invented

LOL that made me chuckle!
First time allotment holder, second time mum.

pookienoodle

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 18:33:34 »
I am a chef and I actually prefer the cup system,its so quick to use as long as you have a set of measuring cups.
I have these ones and I love them.
http://www.procook.co.uk/shop/Bakeware/Measuring-Jugs%2C-Cups-%26-Spoons/Blue-Acrylic-Measuring-Cups/d31/sd254?code=2696

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 19:00:20 »
both systems (cups vs weights) are great, just don't try to mix them!!
You couldn't make it up!

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
Re: Are CUP measurements instead of weight driving you crazy too?
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 19:20:49 »
I use both cups and weights and volumes, and I have to say that in general, cups tend to be quicker and easier to use. While they may not be quite so accurate, it really does not matter for all practical purposes. So much so that I have started to show both cups and weights and volumes on the recipes on my site. Not all my recipes have been changed yet, but I will get there once I have tried out the recipes using cups.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

qahtan

• Hectare
  • Niagara Peninsula, ontario,,, canada.
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 21:38:52 »
 Here in Ontario we use cups, imperial and metric weights, as long as you don't mix them in the same recipe you should be OK.. but then again  I am a dip and scoop  baker most times, so some times  an 8 ounce measuring cup can
 weigh a 4 1/4 ounces and the next cup 4 1/2 ounces.

Also with the cup measurements some sift the flour or  whatever  first, some smooth off the top of the cup. I don't and I have yet to get any complaints about what I bake or cook.. ;-))) qahtan                         

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 21:44:17 »
Obviously being a cantankerous British person, I hate to admit the North Americans might have a point, but even I agree that the cup system is vey sensible, it seems silly really that people should have weighing scales in every kitchen, taking up loads of space.

And when you're not measuring flour with your measuring cup, you could even drink out of it!  :)

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 21:53:47 »
Why can't everyone stick to metric.  It's SOOOO much simpler.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
The Tuscan Beaneater

zigzig

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 21:54:13 »
How any one can manage to measure a cup of solid fat amazes me.and how on earth can you measure a CUP of dried stuff when it settles?

Thank goodness that this site is for people in the UK. Nice as they are  as people the 'Americans' dominate the 'web' .  

Thank you for showing us the site. It is very welcome and I for one will put it on my favourites.

There is no where in the UK where we can buy 'American Cups' even if we want to and we do not. We want accurate measurements.

This method of measuring must date back to when they arrived in the primitive New World.  Did a wonderful job surviving. We in the UK struggled to make a recognised weights and measurement too but I think ours even before metric is miles better.

Thanks again I can now enjoy delving into recipes which before I would have ignored.

I agree metric is simpler . Why is it that only  the Americans wont accept it?

« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 21:58:01 by zigzig »

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 09:53:37 »
I bought my cups and measuring spoons from Lakeland, years ago.  I expect they still have them.

I used to make quite a lot of muffins and the best recipes are Oz and Kiwi and they use cups.  I mostly make cakes and chocolate biscuits these days but still use cups now I know how they work.  For flour, sugar and liquid volumes I mentally convert ounces and grams to cups for ease and speed.    One cup equals 250ml of volume, 4oz or 120g of flour and 8oz or 24g of sugar.

I do have a proper set of brass scales which I love but they're best kept for weighing larger quantities such as dried pasta or Xmas cake ingredients which aren't exactly cup sized.

For info, a tin cup was a practical measuring solution available to everyone during the expansion across the USA or Oz in covered wagons without fully fitted kitchens and a set of calibrated scales to hand.
Obxx - Vendée France

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 10:55:11 »
There is no where in the UK where we can buy 'American Cups' even if we want to and we do not. We want accurate measurements.

Zigzig, I'm glad you're happy measuring things in metric, but obviously some people do like measuring using cups, as discussed here on this very thread.

I know what you mean about metric being a good system, but I suppose although the Imperial system is a bit weird and over-complicated, it works for domestic uses, and people who are used to it get on very well with it.

I think whichever system you're used to, you recognise the quantities when you hear them - you sort of just know what a cup and a half of flour is like, or how thick a 1" batten of wood is.

Personally though I do get a bit annoyed with the half-in half-out approach here where you buy 2 inch wide wood by the meter or 45 inch wide fabric by the meter. Make your mind up!  ;D

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 11:05:47 »

have a look here for measuring cups, even Nigella has got in on the act!!
http://www0.uk.shopping.com/-measuring+cups
You couldn't make it up!

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 12:37:04 »
AND ....ASDA are selling them today as we type this !! ;D

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 17:15:50 »
I used to get furious about cups too, but bought some of the little devils and still have not used them, it's just another kitchen gadget to add to the many!

Watching some cookery TV the other day I saw The Barefoot Contessa say that she had just put about two tablespoons of butter in a pan...how the hell did she measure that? It was a little block, not melted..

:-\

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 18:16:20 »
I know most half decent cooks can rustle up familiar recipes without even bothering to measure at all but every so often we get a totally new type or unfamiliar style and certainly the first time I try to make it, I endevour to be accurate. Cakes can easily turn out too heavy. In which case serve them warm as a pudding.

Wanna try this American one?

BIBLE CAKE   

1 c. Judges 5:25
2 c. Jeremiah 6:20
6 of Isaiah 10:14
3 1/2 c. 1 Kings 4:22
1/2 tsp. Leviticus 2:13
2 tsp. 1 Corinthians 5:5
1/4 tsp. each of 3 spices in 1 Kings 10:2
1 c. Genesis 24:2
1 tbsp. Exodus 16:31
2 c. each of 1 Samuel 25:18
1 c. Genesis 43:2

Don't panic, keep scrolling

BIBLE CAKE   

1 c. Judges 5:25 (butter)
2 c. Jeremiah 6:20 (sugar)
6 of Isaiah 10:14 (eggs)
3 1/2 c. 1 Kings 4:22 (flour)
1/2 tsp. Leviticus 2:13 (salt)
2 tsp. 1 Corinthians 5:5 (baking powder)
1/4 tsp. each of 3 spices in 1 Kings 10:2 (spices)
1 c. Genesis 24:2 (water)
1 tbsp. Exodus 16:31 (honey)
2 c. each of 1 Samuel 25:18 (raisins and figs)
1 c. Genesis 43:2 (nuts, chopped)

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time. Sift salt, flour, baking powder, and spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice). Mix honey with water and add alternately to first mixture with dry ingredients. Add raisins, figs, and nuts. Pour into greased loaf pan or angel cake pan. Bake at 375 degrees until it tests done with a skewer.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal