Author Topic: Hives on Allotments  (Read 5065 times)

Geoff H

• Half Acre
Re: Hives on Allotments
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2010, 23:29:16 »
Well I have  had a carnie hybrid and the first generation was better tempered than any of the local bees I could get. Some of the local ones here are positively vicious - you would need a Kevlar bee suit. What you could do is buy in a queen. Bickerstaffes are quite reasonable and it is easy to do.
With carnies you must always give them plenty of room. Dont wait for them to draw out all the foundation before you stick the supers on. If the brood box looks like its about 3/4 full of bees then you have to give them the extra space.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2010, 15:14:05 »
What was the second generation of your carnies like? You're better off maintaining your own strain, and requeening anything bad tempered.

non-stick

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2010, 20:22:25 »
Mrs Stick has decided she likes the idea of keeping bees on the allotment. No idea yet if it's allowed.

Geoff H

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2010, 23:33:49 »
What was the second generation of your carnies like? You're better off maintaining your own strain, and requeening anything bad tempered.
Dont know yet but if they went nasty I would just requeen. One advantage of carnies is they do seem to accept new queens more readily.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2010, 10:06:31 »
I've had Carnie hybrids twice; they were nasty both times. Never again!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal