Author Topic: bumblebee rescue?  (Read 2491 times)

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
bumblebee rescue?
« on: March 31, 2010, 11:54:29 »
we found a soaking wet bumblebee on a plank of wood a couple of days ago, so we carried plank + bee into the garden and put them in a sheltered corner to dry out. bee is dry and has moved, but not very far. we were hoping that a couple of hours in the sun would sort him out but don't think we're due any sun for a good few days. should we do anything else, like offer him a bit of sugar water or honey? or just leave him alone? thanks folks!

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
Re: bumblebee rescue?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 11:59:24 »
in these situations I always make up some sugar/honey solution, pick the bee up(the sweetened water is in a teaspoon) put the bee on the rim of the teaspoon or hold the bee to the spoon and wait for her tongue to start sipping the solution ...good luck/ shades x
grow your own way

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 12:04:55 »
great, thanks angle shades, will give that a try tonight if we still have the bee

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 12:09:54 »
look in my gallery pictures under insects, you can put the bee on your finger if its easier/ shades x
grow your own way

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 12:16:51 »
Be careful with the bee, bumble bees do sting.

I was stung when I was small because the bee was sitting hidden on a fork handle and I grabbed the handle, I was stung on the wrist and it ballooned up to about 3x normal size. I had to be taken to the Doctor so it must have been serious, being taken to the Dr was usually avoided if possible by my Mother.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 12:37:20 »
As long as you don't turn faint or get a reaction all over your body, it's not serious, though it might well seem so to the mother of a howling three-year-old!

twave

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 13:29:51 »
My son is passionate about bees and rescued one at the beach. He was only 4 at the time and rescued it out the sand and put it on a stone. He kept watch over the bee for hours and would not accept it would die. It was very busy... Another boy ran down the beach, standing on rescued bee and squashing it flat  :'( Poor Jack, 2 years on he still talks about it and gets very upset!

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 10:07:41 »
bee update: he was nowhere to be seen last night, but hopefully today's sunshine here in norwich will warm him up and get him going again. thanks for the advice!

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 10:37:58 »
As long as you don't turn faint or get a reaction all over your body, it's not serious, though it might well seem so to the mother of a howling three-year-old!

I was very ill.....however I still love bumble bees just have always treated them with caution.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal