Author Topic: Joe's allotment  (Read 36062 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Re: Joe's allotment
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 19:56:44 »
My plot is perfect, maybe a bit overgrown, but some are worse.  Cornykev is an OK guy.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 20:09:44 »
Totally agree about the old presenters, I loved Percy Thrower on telly every Friday night when I was a kid and later on 'Mr Smith's Vegatable garden', proper vegetable growers, :)

springs

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 20:51:57 »
I liked Arther Billitt at Clacks farm he could show you how to grow vegetables

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 21:20:56 »
I think Percy also did programmes from Clacks farm, :)

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2010, 21:52:46 »
I suppose gardeners reflect the times.  I was too young to appreciate Percy Thrower and Geoffrey Smith at the time, and only became aware of GW when Geoff Hamilton took over.  I felt that the older generation were like head gardeners and that there was too much formality to their gardening, that it was labour intensive, and that it was simply old fashioned.

Geoff Hamilton made gardening accessable, and it's my complaint about all the presenters - and that's all they've been - my complaint about all the presenters that followed is that they've all tried to make gardening superficial and elitist.  The golden age of GW was Geoff Hamilton, Bob Flowerdew, Anne Swithinbank, and Gay Search (careful how you google that) - Search's Front Gardens spin off was excellent IMHO.

What seems odd is that Geoff Hamilton's gardening for the common man should have been such a phenomenon in the middle of the Thatcher era where the vapid egotists like Titmarsh and Kong would have been much more at home.  What the TV needs is a Fred Dibnah of the Allotments.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

bazzysbarn

• Half Acre
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2010, 23:02:57 »
What happened to Bob Flowerdew? I can remember he made a pond out of tyres!

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2010, 00:15:56 »
yes, it's in his poly-tunnel  ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2010, 07:40:06 »
Geoffrey Smith was wonderful.  He had amazing advice and was great at thinking about not only growing but also the taste.  Actually Geoff Hamilton seemed more formal.  He was certainly much more boring.  Geoffrey Smith was so enthusiastic.

There was also a guy called Howard I rather liked at lunch time.

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2010, 09:46:37 »
I liked Geoffrey Smith, though he could be very rude on GQT

on the plus side, if you look at the way cookery programmes and cookery presenters have gone down the tubes, gardening progs have got off lightly, no matter how we complain about them. That's not to say we should put up with it though

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2010, 09:50:51 »
I just think the BBC have got it wrong.  Everyone posting here seems to prove the point that the BBC could provide 2 programmes.  One for more advanced tastes where latin names are important and time is plentiful and maybe one where sustainability and veg growing come together in a more down to earth presentation.  Whatcha reckon guys?

The only positive about Joe Swift I guess is that it is always a positive to have allotments in the mainstream in some way isnt it?  I'm sure plenty have got interested that way?  i wouldnt like to judge the guy too much as he had to take the plot on for the programme rather than his own choice.  Also, he lives in hackney and that is a commitment to drive that way.

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2010, 09:54:51 »
I just think the BBC have got it wrong.  Everyone posting here seems to prove the point that the BBC could provide 2 programmes.  One for more advanced tastes where latin names are important and time is plentiful and maybe one where sustainability and veg growing come together in a more down to earth presentation.  Whatcha reckon guys?

The only positive about Joe Swift I guess is that it is always a positive to have allotments in the mainstream in some way isnt it?  I'm sure plenty have got interested that way?  i wouldnt like to judge the guy too much as he had to take the plot on for the programme rather than his own choice.  Also, he lives in hackney and that is a commitment to drive that way.

Oh, just been told Alys Fowler has a new prog coming on called 'The edible garden' which might be worth a look.  Maybe that will cater for veg growers a little better?

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2010, 10:10:20 »
I just think that it is such a shame, the BBC are not really thinking. There is such an upsurge in growing your own veg, we know this by the waiting lists for allotments if nothing else. The BBC should be tapping into this as they would have wide range of viewers especially when we have NO choice on any other channels, yes Alys is doing a programme in her garden, but I would like to see a programme that does explain saving seeds, what to grow and when (not bloody gardeners delight tomatos). If wartime and victorian kitchen gardens are popular, then that is saying what we want, not poncy programmes from people that only go into the garden for one day a week just to film the program. It is pretentious, bring back Geoff Hamilton format.

sorry for rant especially if in wrong place, but feel better now and i spose better get back to work.................

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2010, 11:18:43 »
  What the TV needs is a Fred Dibnah of the Allotments.
Yes I'm sure theres a head gardener somewere that fits the bill.

Oh, just been told Alys Fowler has a new prog coming on called 'The edible garden' which might be worth a look.  Maybe that will cater for veg growers a little better?
I only hope it's not all about growing veg in old Olive oil cans.  ::)

And why would you dismantle your shed only to leave it ???

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2010, 12:12:48 »
(not bloody gardeners delight tomatos).
what's wrong with these open-pollinated, prolific, flavoursome cherry tomatoes?

don't tell me you like 'money maker'? LOL
You couldn't make it up!

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2010, 13:47:59 »
We are not allowed sheds on our allotments, but Joe had special permission from the Council, in case in rained and the cameras got wet, so that is probably why it was taken down.  One shed and then everyone wants one.  Pleased we don't have sheds and they are very often broken into even if they don't contain any valuables. The Council provides lockers and we have toilets, although they are not too pleasant and when you pull the chain get a shower, but I stand well back.  Joe's filming did cause quite a bit of interest in the site and when we had the get together/party it was good fun and Waitrose contributed and we had a fun vegetable competition (which i didn't win)  :( :( :( .  He did say he wanted to keep the allotment but I think with work commitments and young children and living so far away he found he hadn't got the time.  Oh well three new people will get a third of his lovely allotment and the mares/horse tail which is a pain in the neck.

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2010, 13:59:35 »

Exactly - why not just leave a nice shed for the next renter, or is it a health and safety issue - the Beeb making sure they can't be sued.

As for more/other gardening/veg programs, why do you all think it has to be the BBC. If, as claimed, there's demand, dont you think one of the thousands of channels on you digi box would produce something.

If it was economically viable, we would have our own channel,  we could call it, for example - UKTV Gardening.

( but we all know what happened to that  >:(   ...  and for those that don't know
 http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,51810.0.html and http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,51979.0.html )

Edit:
Ahh Borlotti, thanks for the explanation. I'm obviously too cynical of the Beeb.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 14:08:15 by Pesky Wabbit »

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2010, 15:30:29 »

Exactly - why not just leave a nice shed for the next renter, or is it a health and safety issue - the Beeb making sure they can't be sued.

As for more/other gardening/veg programs, why do you all think it has to be the BBC. If, as claimed, there's demand, dont you think one of the thousands of channels on you digi box would produce something.

If it was economically viable, we would have our own channel,  we could call it, for example - UKTV Gardening.

( but we all know what happened to that  >:(   ...  and for those that don't know
 http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,51810.0.html and http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,51979.0.html )

Edit:
Ahh Borlotti, thanks for the explanation. I'm obviously too cynical of the Beeb.

Tell me about it UKTV Gardens was one of my favourite channels, i was shouting at the telly when they took it away from me  :'(

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2010, 15:33:53 »
We should have a return to the 'Big Dig'

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2010, 00:01:31 »
Joe was on Working Lunch today (BBC2 Tue 12:30). He said he grows potatoes in dustbins in his garden.

PS Tomorrows guest on Working Lunch (13:30) is a woman from Tesco Clubcard talking about the data that they collect. Might be interesting. However do bear in mind that Working Lunch has also suffered the  same dumbing down that GW has suffered from.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 00:06:12 by Pesky Wabbit »

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2010, 22:03:20 »
I miss Geoff.  I can't say that Joe Swift did anything for me.  However, before we dismiss him i think we should bear in mind that his allotment slot would have been planned well in advance of filming.  This means that at that time they would have been looking at the non-gardeners and trying to get them interested.  The thirty to forty group have a substantially different outlook to those of us in the 50's to 60's  or even those of us in our 70's and 80's.  They might find the appeal of the triangular beds because it got the old f**ts talking about it and not about what they were doing "wrong".  It is right and proper that every younger generation should explore the boundaries.  Haven't some on here tried "raised beds" and decided to get rid of them.  That is their choice.

If Joe made it easy for the non-gardeners to "join in" just like Geoff did for me well good on him.  Yes many of us may not like the idea of him "dropping" in on an allotment.  But we can't say how much that worked.  I just hope that those people that have joined my allotments stay and continue to enjoy their gardening.  Best wishes to Joe in his endeavours,  whatever they may be.  At least, in his own way he is trying to help, just like Geoff and Bob and all those on "mud and magic".

After all growing veges is secondary to enjoying life.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal