Author Topic: Level 2 in Horticulture ??  (Read 2754 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Level 2 in Horticulture ??
« on: April 17, 2010, 02:49:58 »
I am considering doing the level 2 in Horticulture but have some questions. 

http://www.hccollege.co.uk/courseInformation.asp?courseRef=RHSLVL2

How long did this course take you?

Where did you go with it afterwards?  Are you using it for work or was it just personal gain.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Level 2 in Horticulture ??
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 07:23:53 »
You have to have a talk with tutor about the lenght of the course..it depends how many different parts of it you want to qualify for. And some places they allow you to progress faster than it is design for.
I was gardener already before I did mine..but just to have some sort of papers helps to prove clients that you are "just off the street".. ::)
I didn't learn that much new things..level 2 is quite basic but it ok if there is gaps in your knowlege..I found that things like lawn maintenance and machinery was helpful for me...and it never hurt to learn health and safety and basic legalities.. ::)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 07:29:48 »
But what did you have in mind..why are you thinking of doing it?

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 08:36:08 »
I thought there was a whole thread on this , but can't find it- maybe someone else can.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 08:49:59 »
I thought there was a whole thread on this , but can't find it- maybe someone else can.
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/board,32.0.html
You couldn't make it up!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 09:53:56 »
But what did you have in mind..why are you thinking of doing it?
I am the allotment supervisor for our site and also the voice for plotholders at our town council meetings.  I do not know much about flowery stuff, mostly veg related.  So broadening my knowledge base as I am now getting more newbies enquiring as to flowers etc.

My current job expires in 2 years so I need to look at a new career pathway.  Some courses I am looking into doing for my resettlement include this one below, but I cannot do it until I am down to my last 6 months:
http://www.kingswoodtraining.co.uk/service-leavers/residential-arboricultural-combined-course-b.html

The horticulture would hopefully be finished beforehand.  I would hope that the two combined would give me a good chance of employment in these fields.

All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 10:09:56 »
Hmm...it might give you something..but mostly I would recommend it for those who would work in industry...like gardeners, nursery trade, hard landscapers, groundsmen..
lot of it is hands on training with just enough theory to cover the actual work you are doing..
I know the qualification is shanged since I've done it... maybe you could pop in your nearest college for chat and ask to see actual theory material wether it covers your needs....?
I did mine in 1,5 years but that includes lots of different components..nursery, decorative, sport turf...and it all depends with how college arrange practical work
I think it is based on minimum of 1 year as you have to do different seasonal jobs..

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal