Author Topic: Slug-free seedlings  (Read 3130 times)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
Slug-free seedlings
« on: May 21, 2010, 17:29:14 »
Problem: the slugs eat the seed leaves off as soon as seeds germinate outside. So now, when I plant my bean seeds/squash seeds/ cucumber seeds/ flower seeds etc outside I try to surround them immediately by pressing a small  recycled yogurt cup / plastic cup with the bottom cut out or a loo roll into the ground. This seems to foil the slugs at least until the seed leaves appear. They stand a better chance at surviving.

Just make sure you haven't caged a little slug IN when you shove the cup into the soil. ;D
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Sally A

• Half Acre
Re: Slug-free seedlings
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 21:02:46 »
The centre from a 2 litre pop bottle works well too, and you can cut it off when the plant out grows it.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 21:10:32 »
I think if they can get down to your spuds they will have no problem getting under your tubes to your veg..
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Sally A

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 21:41:43 »
Different sort of slugs, the small black "keelers" I think I've heard them called, live under ground, but the larger surface slugs munch your new leaves.

marcusesmum

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 13:19:40 »
Problem: the slugs eat the seed leaves off as soon as seeds germinate outside. So now, when I plant my bean seeds/squash seeds/ cucumber seeds/ flower seeds etc outside I try to surround them immediately by pressing a small  recycled yogurt cup / plastic cup with the bottom cut out or a loo roll into the ground. This seems to foil the slugs at least until the seed leaves appear. They stand a better chance at surviving.

Just make sure you haven't caged a little slug IN when you shove the cup into the soil. ;D

marcusesmum

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 13:27:01 »
We had the same problem and then found out about nematodes, type this into google and
go from there hope this helps
yours Lena :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal