Author Topic: couple questions  (Read 1475 times)

kymrob

• Half Acre
couple questions
« on: April 21, 2010, 14:51:59 »
couple questions
i want  to try to always sow directly in to grown  is there anything what cant be?
is there a website what tell you what needs to be sown now week to week or monthly? is there one on here? im a beginner so any advice

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
Re: couple questions
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 15:16:23 »
Times vary depending where you are in the country, i live in the north east so i am 3 to 4 weeks behind gardeners south of me, this guide should help you

http://gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/veg_planner.asp
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 15:19:16 »
I cant think of anything that cant be sown directly but there are somethings that wont work due to time temp etc.

Toms, Chillis, Aubergine, Cucumbers, Squash are some that I wouldn't concider sowing direct because they need a decent temp to germinate esp Chillis.  By the time the soil temp is up to the required than you will be months behind.

BBC has a planner http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/calendar/calendar.shtml#/task/201004180003
or veg by month

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/calendar/tips/category/vegetables#gc-month-apr
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 15:45:15 »
Hi

There is some info on here, if you look in the Wiki above and click on Newbies there is some info on what to plant month by month on there as well as other info, this is a link to it...

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php?page=9

Good luck

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 15:56:47 »
out of interest, why do you want to sow direct in to the ground?

Because you are just getting started and clearing/preparing your plot you could clear a small area to use as a seed bed so some stuff can get growing then move them to their final position once its cleared and ready. Growing in modules then into larger pots does give you so much more time to get you beds ready.

Neil

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 16:20:29 »
As a rule of thumb stuff that needs relatively high temperatures to germinate will most likely not germinate by direct sowing.

Most of the brassicas and root crops are suitable for direct sowing.

Usually this is indicated on the packet!

As Nilly said; why don't you set up a 'nursery bed' ideally in a cold frame and you will get greater success.

My website will give you a selection of sowing dates and planners which you may have already found in the wiki.

kymrob

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 18:56:20 »
want to sow direct as i dont want loads pots on window sill and we have no car to transport them up there so just easier,  we have already cleared abit so wondering what needs to go in first

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 21:59:31 »
Carrots and parsnips would be good to sow direct as they don't like their roots disturbed. Can't you grow in seed trays or pots over the plot. Just cover with some plastic or make a simple coldframe or if you can get hold of a bakers tray(the kind bread is delivered in) and line it with plastic with a few holes and fill with soil it would make an ideal small seed bed.

Neil
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 22:02:32 by nilly71 »

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 07:53:15 »
KYMROB Where is you location, you may be well surprised at what people on here may do for you if they are near by, most of us nearly always have extras or can recommend where to get stuff.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

kymrob

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 09:34:11 »
im near great yarmouth, norfolk

keepondiggin

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 13:15:16 »
Hi I agree with Nilly71-try and get something started at your plot-seed trays,empty veg trays anything and cover it with plastic- you can use any spare bags from the supermarket -raise them up off the floor on bricks  or pallets(with recycled polystyrene underneath eg pizza packaging etc ) and keep them warm and make sure you use something against slugs as well as they like new green growth.Then once they are established and you've cleared some more ground ready you can move them.
Have you put any potatoes in yet as they can go straight in of course?

I've never been successul sowing  beans and peas  directly into the plot and always raise the seeds in little trays,pots in a small plastic greenhouse and cold frames I have at home then take them down when the weather is a bit more predictable and they are stronger.

Although garlic,onion sets, and carrots are OK.I also sow some lettuce,beetroot,spinach ,radishin a small sheltered space  next to my path and cover them with a plastic cloche

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal