Author Topic: GO GREEN AND SAVE THE EARTH  (Read 10373 times)

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
Re: GO GREEN AND SAVE THE EARTH
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2010, 14:51:16 »
http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/climate-gate-greatest-scandal-in-modern-science-global-warming-scam/blog-210165/?page=2

Climategate  ;D

and

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.Blogs&ContentRecord_id=8c08bbcd-802a-23ad-4ad1-c98dc1cf5c37&Issue_id=

My personal favourite global warming myth is, 'oh my goodness, rising temperatures causing ice at the poles to melt, will produce flooding.'

answered by:

'Ice in a glass of water doesn't change the volume as it melts it is just displacement. Water is the only liquid that expands as it freezes. So Ice in water that melts will not increase the volumn of water nor the water level.'
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 15:10:44 by Mortality »
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2010, 16:57:00 »

'Ice in a glass of water doesn't change the volume as it melts it is just displacement. Water is the only liquid that expands as it freezes. So Ice in water that melts will not increase the volumn of water nor the water level.'

Thats fair enough if the polar ice/glaciers were just made up of frozen water no higher than the surrounding sea. Sadly for your argument, they are several miles thick in places and all that lot melting will undoubtedly  cause the sea levels to rise.

Better start filling those sand bags......
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2010, 17:04:13 »
You fill yours, Rob.

I'll take a rain check.  ;)
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

Mortality

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2010, 17:16:42 »
You fill yours, Rob.

I'll take a rain check.  ;)

Ditto.  :P
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2010, 17:26:46 »
Sea level's been going up and down like a yoyo for the last couple of million years, as ice caps formed and melted again. Rising sea levels as they melt are about as well established as it's possible to get, it's not some airy fairy hypothesis someone just dreamed up.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2010, 17:32:16 »
http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/climate-gate-greatest-scandal-in-modern-science-global-warming-scam/blog-210165/?page=2

Climategate  ;D

and

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.Blogs&ContentRecord_id=8c08bbcd-802a-23ad-4ad1-c98dc1cf5c37&Issue_id=

My personal favourite global warming myth is, 'oh my goodness, rising temperatures causing ice at the poles to melt, will produce flooding.'

answered by:

Unfortunately that only holds for the ice that's floating in the sea.....unfortunately ice melting on the land is a more serious issue, as that does cause sea level rise.

Mortality

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2010, 18:12:22 »

Sea level's been going up and down like a yoyo for the last couple of million years, as ice caps formed and melted again. Rising sea levels as they melt are about as well established as it's possible to get, it's not some airy fairy hypothesis someone just dreamed up.

I'm more inclined to believe that the earth is more affected by the Universe/sun/moon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_age
Than I am that man is causing global warming. In the ice age scale of things, man is insignificant.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 18:14:10 by Mortality »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2010, 19:47:28 »
When I was at university, one of the questions was why we'd gone so long without another ice age. The current interglacial has gone on far longer than previous ones, and they couldn't understand it. It now looks as though all the deforestation etc which had gone on over the centuries had caused a small amount of global warming, and this was enough to prevent the onset of another glaciation. Over the last 30 years or so, the climate's gone haywire, and human interference is the only explantation that fits.

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2010, 20:47:15 »
It makes me laugh when people talk about saving the planet.  It will survive. What we should be talking about is saving the human race. To do this humans have to put aside greed and ego/self-focus and materialism. The current push for 'going green' is a box ticking exercise backed by the government and pushed by companies in order to gain kudos (or possibly governmental financial payback) it is not a truly altruistic act.

I commute via train, grow my own, turn down the heating, recycle and resuse, and have thrown out the eco bulbs as they're cr*p...

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2010, 21:57:07 »
I have thrown out the eco bulbs as they're cr*p...

I've never tried eco - what do they taste like?  ;)  ;D

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2010, 15:09:02 »
I have thrown out the eco bulbs as they're cr*p...

I've never tried eco - what do they taste like?  ;)  ;D

G x

They're flowers, you're not supposed to eat 'em!  ;D
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2010, 19:32:01 »
i don't know how many time I have to tell you this, but just leave your fridge open for ten minutes a day. If everybody done it global warming would be wiped out in a instant.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal