Author Topic: Blagging Freebies  (Read 87537 times)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: Blagging Freebies
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2010, 11:19:32 »
Hooray you're back. I've missed you :'(.

superspud

• Half Acre
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2010, 11:47:17 »
A public thank you to Ruud for the amish paste seeds and all the others he sent me, I hope the cabbage and infernal sprout seed turn up soon.

Ignore me I'm having a breakdown.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2010, 12:23:40 »
If people have seeds they don't want and don't mind paying the postage give them away.  If you have rare seeds try and give them to someone you know on here or elsewhere and hopefully they will appreciate them more.  Seeds are quite cheap to buy, so don't know what all the fuss is about.  If I had a good rare seed I would obviously want it/them to go to someone who appreciated it and knew how to grow it. Just off to the charity shop with some unwanted clutter.  ;D ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2010, 13:14:17 »
If you have something rare it's good sense to spread it around and help to preserve it. The more people growing rarities, the safer they are! But yes, it does get frustrating when someone's after seed all the time without ever contributing anything.

I'm particularly concerned about the number of seed parcels which have gone missing.

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2010, 13:17:17 »
I'd like to thank the person who sent me the JBT seeds, (dont know if they would want to be publicly named so wont yet), I hope that they like the chernomor and I promise the tomazing once ive seed saved this year.

I love the idea of being able to share the more unusual /heirloom seeds around, so that others can have a chance to grow them too.

Whats a stamp in return for getting something exciting to grow that you wouldnt otherwise have.

Thanks again you know who you are

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2010, 13:45:02 »
All grown ups on here .People have to make their own mind up.

Thanks for the seeds to people who have helped me out in the past.

On balance I prefer to send seeds to regular contributors to the forum. :)

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2010, 14:24:50 »
I'm particularly concerned about the number of seed parcels which have gone missing.
That's the reason I don't join in with them. I have participated in similar swaps on other sites & parcels have allegedly gone missing in the post only for the contents to appear on ebay. The other problem with them is people that get them early on sometimes take the majority of the interesting varieties so by the time you get it the parcel is virtually empty or it is a selection consisting mainly of things like moneymaker tomatoes which are given away free with gardening magazines, posting photos of the parcel at various stages of it's journey seems to limit the extent to which that happens though as sudden differences become very noticable.

When I give someone seeds it is so that they can grow them & hopefully save seed themselves to pass onto others it's not so that they can make a few quid selling them on ebay. Wether they are new to the site or regular posters is not really an issue but if it is someone whose name I don't recognise then I do make a point of checking their posts to see if they do have an interest in gardening or if they are just here for the swap section before deciding wether or not to offer them seeds.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2010, 05:56:06 »
Just bumping this up.  Be aware that if you offer something/anything in Swap Shop you're likely to get a PM along the lines of this from newbie1963 aka dawnfuller:

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,60191.msg618048.html#msg618048

Again, it's up to people who they give their stuff to but I'd suggest there are better causes than this leech person.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2010, 04:26:36 »
Another update: dawnfuller who became newbie1963 is now lottielady chosen, no doubt, to blend in with all the other lottie-something-or-others. This one registered on February 05, 2010, 12:05:39.

Here's another example of her trying it on:

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,59342.msg609814.html#msg609814

Seriously, check before you give someone like this any more reason to keep hanging around like a bad smell.

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2010, 06:55:28 »

I would love to take part in the seed swops but don't because of the post.  We have had so much go astray over the years that anything  I post goes mainly by recorded or special.  1st class no longer means next day and 2ND cantake up to 5 days, I was told this at the post office when I complained about plants left in the sorting office over a hot weekend.  Needless to say they went straight on the compost heap.  What makes it worse for me is my OH works for the P.O. so you can imagine the rows it causes.  But like a lot of things in life there is one plus side to all this and that is as nieghbours we have got to no each other as we deliver the post to the right houses.  ;D ;D

DawnF

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2010, 08:29:19 »
Dear  Alloments or All
Yes I am new! I have changed my name because of this ""Ceres""  previous comment.....  
I am a nice person non smelly   NOT A LEECH as you suggested !!!
I cannot beleive this person has actually posted this last comment .....
I am quite frankly very very hurt.

This is a SWOP site not a ""BLAGGING SITE """ as you put.
How on earth are people supposed to start off - if they dont ask ?????
I have a vast array of Normal seeds  in my potting shed at the moment possibly ...being new its like a trial + error thing.
I wanted to try a few other srange things ie
Thankyou for the
COMFRY + JERUSALEM ARTICHOKES + ALPINE STRAWBS + CAPE GOOSIES.+CATMINT + COURGETTES + HERBS .
I have posted out to other members  about 10 - 15 different things to other members.
(OBVIOUSLY YOU NEVER POSTED THIS INFORMATION  ON HERE!!!!! )  
If anyone wants any they are quite happy to have them ... if I can help.
I have asked /or participated  regularly  for advice on several subjects.

In relation to posting out things in return - - YES I DO POST OUT ITEMS......
Please do not be put off by this person .

To all the people who have posted to me  Thankyou
I will return as Dawn F

Regards
Dawn
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 08:57:31 by DawnF »

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2010, 09:38:55 »
This is a SWOP site not a ""BLAGGING SITE """ as you put.
How on earth are people supposed to start off - if they dont ask ?????

I was under the impression this was a forum primarily aimed at discussing allotments & the cultivation of edible plants.
The swap section is only a small part of the site & is primarily used by a relatively small number of the regular contributors to the site as are other sub forums such as the photography, pets, recipes & computer sections for example.
Most new members start off by asking questions such as "how do I clear my plot?" or by anwering other peoples questions they don't head straight for the swap section & say can I have this?, can I have that? etc...
There are websites which are primarily aimed at swapping plants & seeds but this is not one of them.

BTW Ceres a user id doesn't change however many times the account holders name is changed so posting a link to somebody's profile often helps others keep up to date with what that person is currently calling themselves.
Using dawnfuller/newbie1963/lottielady/DawnF as an example they are & always will be user id 10688 however many times they change the username on their account.
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=10688

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2010, 09:45:46 »
I think we are all grown-up enough to decide for ourselves who we want to send stuff to. ::)

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2010, 09:58:26 »
Thanks Baccy Man.

Dawn, unfortunately, the content and timing of your posts on this forum and elsewhere don’t support your claims.

Allotments4All isn’t a swap site. It’s a community of like-minded gardeners who freely exchange knowledge, information and support in a safe environment and who occasionally pass on, to members of the community, their excess seeds and plants.

As to how people start off, well usually they don’t stand out in the street and stick their hand out begging from total strangers. If they don’t have a lot of money they ask their family, friends and neighbours and they buy stuff from Wilkinsons, Lidl, Aldi, etc. etc. If they can afford it, they go to a garden centre or buy online.

Various people, including me by PM, have suggested to you that your requests will get a better reception if you join in on the forum and make yourself known. That means a bit more than a flurry of thank you posts when you’ve been challenged, posting a question and never acknowledging the advice offered or offering to send a member something they’ve asked for when it’s clear that an offer has already been made by another member and accepted. Members can only go on what they see on the forum so you control what members think of you by what you post. So far, you’ve chosen to ignore the helpful suggestions.  It’s not too late.

DawnF

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2010, 11:26:04 »
Ceres,
By your comments I now feel black- listed.!!!!
I have introduced myself on the newbie string.
I dont suppose you have even looked?
I have asked for help on Peas + Mantis +clearing plots + helped on others
WHY START ON ME !!!!!!!

I dont ask for everything as you have stated.
Have I asked YOU PERSONALLY for anything ?????
The answer is NO !!!
Most  people out there are generally friendly polite people willing to swap/send and even give support.
I have brought loads of stuff from Dobbies + Frosts +Wyevales.
Been given some stuff from friends in the UK.

Let people choose for themselves to whom they deal with.
I have never let anyone down with sending out seeds.

Dawn F

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2010, 11:34:36 »
Ceres,
Let people choose for themselves to whom they deal with.
Dawn F

Not always easy if people keep changing their name.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2010, 18:29:37 »
I think calling people a bad smell is unacceptable on here >:(

Anyone who uses this forum on a regular basis will know if people contribute to the forum other than to ask for freebies,thus they can make their own minds up. :)

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2010, 19:12:47 »
Betula I agree!
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

amphibian

« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2010, 20:17:16 »
me too.

Also if you look at dawn's posts you'll find she has sent things to others, maybe she should make more of a contribution to the site as a whole, but this all seems a bit over the top to me somehow.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2010, 20:31:51 »
It is better to give than to receive, only give if you want to.  First sweet pea just coming into bloom, thanks, you know who I mean.  I have been given loads of plants from fellow allotment people, and am only waiting until I have something good to give them back, but most of them don't want it.  :( :( :(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal