Allotment Stuff > Swap Shop

Blagging Freebies

<< < (3/17) > >>

Ninnyscrops.:
Been having a thought about this, but don't quite know how and if it's possible to put into operation.  ???

Have a list or something, (can a sticky be added to?) of tried and trusted seed swappers, where we've posted seeds off, maybe a smiley if we've got seed back, but then what if the swapper needs nothing?
I more than often don't need something back and always offer if something takes my fancy.

Any other thoughts?

Ninny

Pesky Wabbit:
And exactly whats wrong with freebies / freeloaders / blaggers ?

How many of us have requested seeds from the RHS and the BBC Dig-in this year - even some who dont/wont pay for a TV license.

How many people on here belong to free cycle ?

For the Free-SAAs out there try http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=2293377

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!):
a thorny issue.

Ceres, I cant help but notice that the outsider/newbie angle is you hobby horse generally.  Unfortunately we are all newbies at some point and the stage at which we are 'accepted' into the fold depends entirely on criteria outside of our control (i.e the 'established/insider deeming someone worthy).  It's a difficult question.

While I accept that the cheeky one-off freebie post is annoying I am always worried at the out of hand dismissal of of newbies.  The beauty of a site like ours is the popularity and this is underpinned by so many new members....

live and let live I guess.

Si

Jeannine:
Ninny on some sites there is a place to"grade a swapper" much like e bay does but I personally would not do it..I think if even 1 person was accidentally left off for some reason and they had done the right type of swapping they would be hurt,and I would be responsible.

It is a very tough call.

When it is parcels of seed like round robin swaps,and there is quite a value involved I think the organiser should set their personal rules, make sure it is clear and stick to. If they are rigid and a peep doesn't like them then I would say don't ask to join.

I do put a set of rules or guidelines and I know  by the wording in a PM the requester hasn't read it I might just drop them off the list.

For newbies to swaps please bear in mind there is no set way of doing a swap, it is up to the person who starts it. Usually mine are pretty laid back but my current one does have some restrictions.

Ninny, to get back to you, I think if a swap is done on the forum and the receiver answers, the provider makes a comment that should work just fine.  eg I have swapped a lot of stuff with Ruud so I might say good swap ;D and he could return with a positive comment too.Sometimes we forget to do this.

On round robins, a thankyou to the organiser might be in order when the parcel passes from one person to another. I have been in swaps where an envelope with the organisers name on is added by one of the  first recipients, seeds are popped in there, not to be taken by anyone else, but are a special thank you to the person who started it.

I also think as an organiser it is really good to hear what someone found in the parcel that they liked, sometimes folks post this..even after they have grown the seed. I had a super public  thank you message one day about corn that was grown from my seed , it was a lovely surprise with a great picture.

Anyway enough of my ramblings.

Georgie:
Hi Ceres

Good to see you posting again, and with a thread close to my heart.  I've stopped offering seeds on here because I got fed up with the greed/cheek of some people of late who in the main were very picky about what they wanted, offered nothing in return or didn't even bother to say thank you.  Now I offer stuff to folks I 'know' or 'trust' or respond to what I consider to be genuine requests.  As usual it's a pity that a few spoil things for the many.

G x

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version