Author Topic: Blagging Freebies  (Read 86458 times)

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Blagging Freebies
« on: March 23, 2010, 16:12:35 »
Following the recent PM seed requests by a complete newbie, I’ve been wondering why we’ve got people joining just to ask for freebies and it didn’t take long to find at least one answer.  On the moneysavingexpert forum, a member there (who is also a member here) has posted many times that this is a seed swap site where you don’t have to give anything in return.

If you prefer that your goodies go to people who stick around and keep the forum lively and vibrant, just check the member’s last posts in their profile.  It’s usually very clear if they are freeloaders.  For example, there’s someone at the moment (who is also a moneysavingexpert member) who has posted 12 times here and 10 are ‘can I have’ posts.  Ultimately it’s up to individuals who they give their seeds to but it’s worth knowing that there are blaggers operating.  I’ve stickied this for future reference by newbies.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Blagging Freebies
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 16:59:35 »
thanks for this, ceres, I'm a member of martin's money tip, I'm off for a look  :-\

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 17:02:00 »
She does go a bit overboard doesn't she?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 17:09:06 by Robert_Brenchley »

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 17:53:15 »
Thanks Ceres, I had spotted that happening too. ;)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 18:10:14 »
I rejected several newbie from my seed swap.  It is rather difficult because it does not seem very welcoming to say hi welcome to the forum, but sorry I am rejecting you.

I certainly have got back a lot less seeds than I put in.  I think next year I shall do a collection and then divvy it up.  At the moment those that put in the most are not necessarily getting a good deal. 

Nice to see you posting Ceres.  Can you put up a link?

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 18:13:13 »
Oooooh my ears are burning ......................

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 18:38:49 »
I feel I have to say something here as I am in the process of putting together a very expensive parcel of seeds from Canada which I have bought specifically for this swap. It is always a tough call when one gets a request from someone who is new. In the past I have included newbies because I got on a swap when I was new and was grateful for that. However I did lose 2 parcels last year.

My current swap though is  for folks who were my friends when I left the UK last year, I posted before I went I would send a parcel and am keeping my promise, however I have had requests for many newbies and will bump them in favour of the  old friends I promised the parcel too, old friends defined as folks who were registered before April 13 the last year.I also stipulated that it was going to participating members, this would rule out the person who only comes on line to freebie shop, or the very seasonal members who pop on in the spring to see what is going on and we don't see them again till the following year.

To all the bona fide newbies out there, stay with us please  think of it a bit like an apprenticeship and don't be offended if you don't get on a swap for a while.  It may be a question of older members first rather than be rejected because you are newbies, it is a very difficult call for an organiser.
Digeroo, I have started several swaps, I always get much less back then I put in,  or I get very basic veggies when I have put the opposite in  however I expect this.

Thank you for the post.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 20:37:13 »
Gosh! I've just posted a suggestion to you on your swap thread, Jeannine, and hadn't noticed this.. it doesn't make very pleasant reading :-\

Thank you, Ceres, for making it a sticky 8)

Wishing you and all the others who take the initiative and organize your swaps, the very best.

Lishka

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 21:05:50 »
Sorry to show my ignorance, but what is a sticky?

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 21:09:12 »
A 'sticky' is a topic pinned to the top of the page - usually subjects drift down the page as new topics are posted?.this way, it's always in evidence. Hope that helps, Lish

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 21:24:58 »
Been having a thought about this, but don't quite know how and if it's possible to put into operation.  ???

Have a list or something, (can a sticky be added to?) of tried and trusted seed swappers, where we've posted seeds off, maybe a smiley if we've got seed back, but then what if the swapper needs nothing?
I more than often don't need something back and always offer if something takes my fancy.

Any other thoughts?

Ninny

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 21:52:27 »
And exactly whats wrong with freebies / freeloaders / blaggers ?

How many of us have requested seeds from the RHS and the BBC Dig-in this year - even some who dont/wont pay for a TV license.

How many people on here belong to free cycle ?

For the Free-SAAs out there try http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=2293377

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 22:03:08 »
a thorny issue.

Ceres, I cant help but notice that the outsider/newbie angle is you hobby horse generally.  Unfortunately we are all newbies at some point and the stage at which we are 'accepted' into the fold depends entirely on criteria outside of our control (i.e the 'established/insider deeming someone worthy).  It's a difficult question.

While I accept that the cheeky one-off freebie post is annoying I am always worried at the out of hand dismissal of of newbies.  The beauty of a site like ours is the popularity and this is underpinned by so many new members....

live and let live I guess.

Si

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 22:03:08 »
Ninny on some sites there is a place to"grade a swapper" much like e bay does but I personally would not do it..I think if even 1 person was accidentally left off for some reason and they had done the right type of swapping they would be hurt,and I would be responsible.

It is a very tough call.

When it is parcels of seed like round robin swaps,and there is quite a value involved I think the organiser should set their personal rules, make sure it is clear and stick to. If they are rigid and a peep doesn't like them then I would say don't ask to join.

I do put a set of rules or guidelines and I know  by the wording in a PM the requester hasn't read it I might just drop them off the list.

For newbies to swaps please bear in mind there is no set way of doing a swap, it is up to the person who starts it. Usually mine are pretty laid back but my current one does have some restrictions.

Ninny, to get back to you, I think if a swap is done on the forum and the receiver answers, the provider makes a comment that should work just fine.  eg I have swapped a lot of stuff with Ruud so I might say good swap ;D and he could return with a positive comment too.Sometimes we forget to do this.

On round robins, a thankyou to the organiser might be in order when the parcel passes from one person to another. I have been in swaps where an envelope with the organisers name on is added by one of the  first recipients, seeds are popped in there, not to be taken by anyone else, but are a special thank you to the person who started it.

I also think as an organiser it is really good to hear what someone found in the parcel that they liked, sometimes folks post this..even after they have grown the seed. I had a super public  thank you message one day about corn that was grown from my seed , it was a lovely surprise with a great picture.

Anyway enough of my ramblings.

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 22:03:50 »
Hi Ceres

Good to see you posting again, and with a thread close to my heart.  I've stopped offering seeds on here because I got fed up with the greed/cheek of some people of late who in the main were very picky about what they wanted, offered nothing in return or didn't even bother to say thank you.  Now I offer stuff to folks I 'know' or 'trust' or respond to what I consider to be genuine requests.  As usual it's a pity that a few spoil things for the many.

G x

'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 22:05:29 »
There's nothing wrong as long as it's understood on both sides that it's a freebie. I don't see anything wrong with someone asking for seeds when they're just starting an allotment, say, and they've got nothing. They may well turn into regular contributors. What irritates me is the people who only come for seeds, with no intention of contributing. Most of us have only limited quantities, after all, and people shouldn't presume. I get really annoyed when seed parcels keep vanishing halfway round the list.

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 22:06:24 »

"And exactly whats wrong with freebies"

Deadlline minus approx fortythree hours ?   ;D

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2010, 22:11:24 »
I thought the swap shop worked on mutual agreement - an offer, an acceptance with the recipient's offer.

Stopp

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2010, 22:19:04 »

I suppose I'm still a newbie on here and have recently been involved in a seed swap.  I wouldn't dream of taking anything without contributing myself and some of the seeds that came around were obscure and would probably never have bought or tried before. So having only a small garden myself to grow things in, taking around 5 seeds of 4 or 5 varieties was helpful, and would hopefully like to join in again.  I'm sure next year or even this autumn, I will have more seeds to contribute as I do not have the land to grow too many in one season.

I desperately need a lottie!  :(
Sharon T

Stopp

• Half Acre
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2010, 22:22:04 »

Oh ..... and I was glad to pass them on again because of the smell of Roberts onions!! .... boy did they stink my bedroom out the next morning   ;D ;D
Sharon T

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal