Author Topic: question on mixing sweetcorn (again)  (Read 9731 times)

OberonUK

• Quarter Acre
Re: question on mixing sweetcorn (again)
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2010, 19:42:28 »
Thanks so much. That is 100% clear. Brilliant advice. I'd be a fool to not follow it. I'm amazed at how many books I have read that don't mention these issues at all - nor do the seed packets. I'd have no doubt had a disaster without all this sound advice. I only have a tiny plot so it would be heartbreaking to waste any space through ignorance and stupidity. I must say I have learned more through A4A than any other resource. People are so generous to give their advice, experience and ideas.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2010, 19:59:25 »
Cornykev, I don't mind.. I get cross with the UK seed sellers, they give no info on their packets most of the time and it is crucial with corn and they have been known to rename varieties too.They do the same with squash.

I have kept a journal  of corns for years and update it constantly it is getting hard to keeep up but not stubbed my toe yet!!

I guess I should have a blog or something.

I am glad the info was usefull XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2010, 20:24:39 »

Ambrosia is a hybrid sugar enhanced bi colour corn..( not synergistic) What worries me is that your seeds are home saved so you have the problem of them not coming true from hybrid plus the mystery of not knowing what they may have been crossed with so I can't help you really. Ideally they should be isolated from everything to try to keep them pure if you are trying to de hybridise them , they might be fine or they could cause havoc, I have no means of knowing.Just out of curiosity what colour are the kernels you saved, the corn  should have had white and yellow kernels.

XX Jeannine

Just an update on this for Jeannine, on the saved seed. I picked this one today and the white kernals are more of a cream colour but it still tasted sweet (eaten raw when I got home). There are 2 cobs on most of the plants. 2 plants with a single cob and one without any.

Ninny

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2010, 00:46:58 »
That is great, you may get different ones on different plants so if you save seeds to try another year  pick the ones you liked best and keep those, then next year see what you get again. I would be interested on how sweet  and aslo if they are starchy, plus.. you need to keep a cob back and cook it three or four days later and then test again, I would even keep one a week.

You need to see how the time affects the eating quality.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2010, 15:02:33 »
Very interesting thread - this year I have grown Lark (because it must be popular for a reason) and Sundance (grew it last year and it was yum) in blocks only a few feet apart but separated by a bean wigwam.  But I took into account the wind directions on the site.  Sundance produces a reddish pollen and I could not see any of it on the Lark tassels so I am hoping for the best.  With corn, as you are eating the seeds, it's important that they are true whereas say with Tomatoes not so. 

Ate the fatest Lark cob yesterday, very nice but not quite ready ... but I couldn't wait.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal