Author Topic: Rhubarb recommendations please  (Read 2221 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Rhubarb recommendations please
« on: February 28, 2010, 14:24:44 »
Most of the rhubarb I have in my garden I grew from seed.  It is fine grows well and a good flavour but is one the green side of red, but it does  not produce those really juicy pink stems early in the spring.  And does not like being forced just gives up and dies if you attempt it. 

I do have one plant which someone gave me but without a name which does the job but can only do it every other year, so need another plant.

pete10

• Half Acre
Re: Rhubarb recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 15:02:08 »

Stockbridge arrow is a good one .

dazem11

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 15:51:55 »
Hi ya , well i have had rhubarb growing in the same spot for 10 years, i do nothing to it and still get loads of stalks.. Must be in a good spot.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 16:01:13 »
Timperley Early is a good one - we're normally eating it by now (without forcing).

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 16:54:03 »
Fabulous rhubarb on my site, but nobody knows what it is! It's been passed around so much that we've probably all got the same, and there's a good chance it will have been there since Victorian times. All I can say is that it loves the high water table, apart from times like two summers ago when some of mine drowned in the waterlogging. The same problem hit again last June, when it all wilted, then recovered as the weather dried up.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 17:16:28 »
I have 2 varieties, Timperley Early and Victoria.  These 2 spread out harvest season right through to August for a family of 4.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 17:36:24 »
We have very well drained soil so rhubarb is a bit tempremental here.  Not far down is 100% gravel.  Thanks for your suggestions.

detailista

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 10:16:00 »
I bought a Timperly Early root from Wilkinsons about three weeks ago - nothing going on in there then, just a bag of soil and root.  Sat it in the cupboard and thought nothing of it. Looked at it yesterday and it's made ten little rhubarb stalks already - perfectly formed, about 8cm high each :D

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 17:57:13 »
Stockbridge harbinger is dead tasty, but couldn't find anywhere selling it for a reasonable price, so have gone for stockbridge arrow instead on the basis that it was easier to get hold of.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 09:59:14 »
We are wanting to plant Rhubarb...how many varieties would we need to span the season and which are the nicest :) Robert, my Dad had a superb rhubarb he got from a railway siding (don't ask!!) we loved it and shared with friends and neighbours....I did have some in a large barrel after he passed away but got knicked (the barrel was a fab whiskey one)
Jackie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal