Author Topic: So, what do you do with your left overs?  (Read 11801 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: So, what do you do with your left overs?
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2010, 09:53:47 »
Oy, you forgot the Belguin pancakes covered in Canadian Maple syrup LOL

XX Jeannine

PS we ate KFC tonight, John's idea of him cooking dinner cos I was off my legs today..Chicken was OK, french fries had to have a second fry,pasta salad, potato salad and coleslaw I passed on same with the gravy.. John got a good treat though,, it also had a diet Pepsi,, does it always taste like disinfectant.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2010, 10:37:13 »
Someone buys DANISH bacon??

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2010, 12:11:14 »
I thought coke was disinfectant or at least a toilet cleaner. I certainly would never drink it. If you have any left overs and no metal which needs cleaning ( another thing it works well on) pour it down the loo. I wondered why it was displayed with the soft drinks instead of between the to the Domestos and Toilet Duck.

You never get Belgian pancakes and Maple syrup with an English Breakfast in the UK. You might get Welsh pancakes and golden syrup for tea in the afternoon.

I can not bear those dreadful 'fries' either. I think I have only ever had KFC once it was in 1966 or 1967. I liked the taste, they have probably changed the recipe since. We did not eat things like pasta salad and cole slaw in those days, not round our way at least. Eating mayonnaise instead of salad cream was exotic  and people made coffee with a teaspoon full from a bottle of Camp and hot milk.

Tim's got a good point. You used to be able to identify Danish Bacon by the tram lines on the rind but these days bacon almost always has the rind cut off it. I am going to be checking bacon packs in the supermarkets now....... 

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2010, 18:09:24 »
Mrs Gumboot if you are going to Jeannine for Sunday Lunch, you better set off on Friday night and take Monday off work to get back. Although I am sure it will be well worth the journey.

I am aware Jeannine doesn't live close. However, I reckon all that salivating on the plane would make the time whizz by  ;D

Have to admit I'm partial to the odd macdonalds every now and again! Guilty pleasures!

Bacon comes from the local farmers market. Actually made of pig not water. Tastes beautiful. Would never buy supermarket bacon again.

Having seen what a bottle of Ribena 'toothkind' did to a supermarket floor a few years back I think I'll take my chances with the coke   :-\

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2010, 19:11:22 »
Whats a left over  ;D
With 7 dogs nothing much gets thrown away here.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2010, 19:36:43 »
Interestingly, my totally unscientific research reveals that we Brits are eating more Dutch bacon these days.

Canal water or what ever. I just hate those water filled rashers too. Some time ago, I tested two bacon rashers. Weighed them and then pressed them between kitchen paper. Which had also been weighed.

I weighed the wet paper and found that it had increased in weight by half the weight of the bacon. So  is double the price actually dearer ?  Hard to say since I did not repeat my experiment with dry cured.

Go on then tell me dry cured has water added to .......

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2010, 09:48:34 »
Go on then tell me dry cured has water added to .......

They'll add water to anything just to bulk up the weight so being cynical I should think it probably does! NO other basis for that opinion mind  ;D

Don't have to weight it to see the difference - hardly any liquid comes out when you cook it. Happily, the pork man on the market doesn't charge a great deal more than you'd pay in the supermarket, in fact the streaky rashers are way cheaper and they're lovely an long so great for wrapping over roast chicken and the like. Plus if you're using it chopped up, in pasta or whatever, you don't need to use so much as it's all meat.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2010, 15:03:30 »
On the subject of freezing veg but not meals - it's a good rule for some things (mainly stuff that has a real skin on it - pea and bean seeds, tomatoes, peppers) but the opposite is true for many others...

We've tried freezing beans (french and runner pods) with various amounts of 'blanching' - but too little sometimes go 'fishy' and too much goes tasteless (like the frozen ones in the shops).

We now cook them with just a little tomato, oil, onion and garlic and then freeze them - when we defrost they are indistinguishable from the freshly-cooked version, and infinitely better than the same meal made with frozen beans.

The same goes tenfold for courgettes: frozen alone - awful, frozen as ratatouille - excellent.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2010, 15:27:29 »
That is a good idea for the runner and french beans and I will certainly try that this year.

Spudbash

• Acre
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2010, 15:32:13 »
I agree totally about courgettes in tomato sauce for the freezer - delicious!  :)

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2010, 16:51:52 »
I have slowly begun to notice this too....  We can't always get through a whole cabbage, so I have been freezing it in a garlic cream sauce and it is absolutely lovely when it comes out again.

At the moment I have a huge winter squash (Crown Prince) lounging in the kitchen looking beautiful but I hesitate to cut into him because a) my husband does not like squash, b) I'll only be able to eat 1/5th of him however hard I try, and I dread ruining the texture and flavour by freezing raw.

Any ideas about a way of cooking him that will survive the freezer as brilliantly as cabbage does?

small

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2010, 18:25:35 »
What about souping him? I've only done it with butternut squash, but that freezes beautifully as soup.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2010, 19:00:52 »
Thanks, but we drink gallons of soup in this house and I am looking for something more solid....

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2010, 20:49:02 »
I never have left overs, I always cook a big batches and freeze it in individual tubs for microwaving on another day.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal