Author Topic: Move tomato plants ?  (Read 3755 times)

admjh1

• Half Acre
Move tomato plants ?
« on: March 20, 2010, 09:57:19 »
I have my plants around the house on windowsills and wad wondering if now they are around 3 inches if it would be ok to move them into the greenhouse?
They are Moneymaker,Roma and Tomatillo
thanks

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: Move tomato plants ?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 10:46:43 »
Only if it's heated, I would think.I didn't put mine into my cold greenhouse until early May last year!

GlentoranMark

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 11:25:50 »
Only if it's heated, I would think.I didn't put mine into my cold greenhouse until early May last year!

I put 4 cherry toms into my cold greenhouse last week and they died  :'(

I've put more seeds in to replace them.

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 11:42:09 »
It's always a gamble to sow tomatoes early. This year, being colder than normal, means that the gambol has not paid off. Other years might be fine
Tomatoes must have high levels of light, otherwise they will grow spindly and weak. What you will be best doing is put them in the greenhouse each day once it has warmed up above 10c, then moving them back indoors during the nights. It's a pain, but not too bad if you get organised with shuttle trays.
Keep checking your max/min thermometer in the greenhouse to see what night-time lows you are getting. Older plants seem to be more tolerant of the odd cold night, but younger ones seem to suffer below about 7 to 8c so wait till temps stay above that.
Plants sown later in more favorable temperatures and light levels often overtake the early-sown, and are far less work since you don't have to keep moving them around twice a day.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 11:43:52 »
I wouldn't even think of moving them outside the house until the middle of next month, if it's warmed up again by then. There's some chilly weather on the way according to the forecast, but no frost predicted.

Amazingrotavator(Derby)

• Half Acre
  • My best mate
    • www.mandjderbygardens.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 16:16:52 »
I have mine in one of those plastic greenhouses against a south facing wall.They seem alright,but they won't go in the greenhouse proper until the threat of frost is past.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 16:46:27 »
Possible frost forecast tonight for some areas, so keep them wrapped up!

admjh1

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 17:19:03 »
 ;DThank you all for the replies.I am a newbie really first full year, and can't wait to get things going, will have too learn patiance like most of you seem to have on A4A.it is a brill site much better advice than all my allotment books x

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal