Author Topic: buying Compost bagged  (Read 3114 times)

GRACELAND

• Hectare
buying Compost bagged
« on: March 23, 2010, 14:54:53 »
where can i get good compost delivered on the web cheeply and not in bulk bags ie

i want say 60/75 /100 LT bags   :D
i don't belive death is the end

zigzig

• Acre
Re: buying Compost bagged
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 15:58:39 »
Finding good compost is a delight. Some of the stuff is not fit for purpose in my view and no way would I buy what I could not feel first.

I think various branches of chain stores and garden centres buy locally too, not a bad thing when it is heavy and costly to move about.  If I am right then that could mean that a recommendation from a source in one part of the country may not be good stuff at another.

You could try to locate a local grower who grows on a wholesale basis and contact them about letting you have some of theirs. Delivery may be another matter altogether though. 100 litres is a very small amount and your cheapest bet could be to hire a taxi to get the bags back to where you want it from a local retailer.

If you are thinking of ordering in bulk for an allotment site then may be you can negotiate a discount or free delivery locally.

james1

• Half Acre
  • Huyton
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 07:38:09 »
I think which Magazine. Voted B&Qs own compost best from a trial they did, so am led to believe. Ive bought it myself and i don't have a problem with it... :)

Stevens706

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 08:02:52 »
Have you thought about using home delivery from the supermarkets such as Tesco, they sell compost. I have been using Asda’s professional multipurpose and it’s great.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 08:23:26 »
I used B&Q's multi purpose with added John Innes last year and was very pleased with it.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 08:27:39 »
I think which Magazine. Voted B&Qs own compost best from a trial they did, so am led to believe. Ive bought it myself and i don't have a problem with it... :)

I'm using it this year on their recommendation and apart from a wierd fungal growth that seems to explode over som eof the modules abuot a day after sowing (and which doesn't seem to affect germination) I haven't noticed any issues with it.... I think I'm getting better germination than I did last year using Wickes own brand.... which in itself represents good value at four 75 litre bags for a 12 quid or something similar.... has the OP looked at getting Wickes to deliver or are their charges too much?
(I'd not know, I drive a minibus converted to a skinny camper and I work next door to a Wickes adn the place I'm moving to is almost next door to a Wickes.... I never have to get stuff delivered :D)

chrisc

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 08:58:23 »
The companys that deliver bulk bags/loose loads usually offer pallet loads of sacks for about the same price too. Alternately you could get a bulk bag or loose load delivered to you at home & transfer it into rubble sacks so you can move it to wherever you need it more easily.
A couple of examples would be:
http://www.dandystopsoil.co.uk
http://www.gardentopsoildirect.co.uk
This company allows you to mix different types of compost for delivery on a single pallet.
http://www.gardenclever.com/index.asp?function=DISPLAYCAT&catid=28
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 09:21:56 by Baccy Man »

Wilder

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 09:29:43 »
whatever you do don't make my newbie mistake and buy Lidl seed and potting compost! The colour alone should have alerted me, the darkest compost I have ever seen which dreies into a hard brick. :( live and learn!
St Leonard's on Sea

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal