Author Topic: Chitting Spuds Going Soft  (Read 2823 times)

Digitalis

• Acre
Chitting Spuds Going Soft
« on: March 22, 2010, 13:37:35 »
I've had my 5 varieties of seed spuds chitting for about 6 weeks now. They are in a light, warm and dry area, and have purple/black shoots.

Today I noticed that they are starting to shrivel up and go soft- not extreme, but still worrying.

Can I still plant them? They are not wet or mushy. Or do I need to buy some more........:(

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Chitting Spuds Going Soft
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 13:46:54 »
They are in a light, warm and dry area, and have purple/black shoots.

THey don't want to be too warm or else they will cook around 40°F (4°C) is fine,

Today I noticed that they are starting to shrivel up and go soft- not extreme, but still worrying.

They are only in the process of doing what seeds do.replacing themselve!

Can I still plant them? They are not wet or mushy.

Yes!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 14:17:23 »
I have one that has not grown a shoot but some brown sticky stuff has oozed out.  The potato was very very soft, not wrinkled but soft inside.  I have thrown it away, but the ones with shoots, green, red, purple or black are doing fine.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 14:19:41 »
As they grow they use water, and this can only come from inside the potato. So they shrivel a bit. It's quite natural. If anything starts oozing, chuck it!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 14:53:46 »
As said take out of the warm into a cold room, and the spud will shrivel, as its what would happen when growing in the gound anyway.
Ive just chucked out one of mine as it was oozing liquid.
 ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Buckeye Girl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 22:54:51 »
Just out of curiosity... when will people be planting their spuds?

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 06:21:54 »
I just discovered a newbie on site who had left their spuds to chit on damp earth. A couple were oozing but I think most were saved when i intervened.

Try not to use plastic egg boxes too as they can sweat.

They do shrivel as they chit so that is not a worry, it is the mother spud giving all her energy for her babies to grow from.

For planting, I was always  told St Patricks day 17th March and I know some have already put theirs in, so any time now is the answer to that one.

The other answer given by old gardeners is to sit in the soil with your bare bum. If it is too cold for your bum it is too cold for your spuds. I happily admit I have never temperature tested soil myself this way but you have my permission to go ahead and see for yourself.

non-stick

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 18:48:53 »

The other answer given by old gardeners is to sit in the soil with your bare bum. If it is too cold for your bum it is too cold for your spuds. I happily admit I have never temperature tested soil myself this way but you have my permission to go ahead and see for yourself.

Haha - I'll get Mrs Stick to test that theory out - I suspect she wont comply though  ;)

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 19:13:34 »
I was always told to put the spuds in on Good Friday.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 19:14:13 »
If you're shy, use the back of your hand. Alternatively, do it properly and moon at the bloody weather!

Half my spuds are in. They won't do anything till the soil warms up, but they won't come to any harm either. Accidentals come through happily, after all, and spread blight all over the place. I was in Cornwall over Easter 1996, and it was snowing. I bet you wouldn't have put yours in then.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 19:16:40 »
Well last year I said that my spuds were going in on Good Friday come hell or high water.  Guess what the Good Lord saw fit to send me.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 21:20:11 »
Mine are in, and covered with fleece for now.
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal