Author Topic: eviction  (Read 13419 times)

guerriero75

• Not So New ...
Re: eviction
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2010, 17:39:55 »
Hi all,

I have read all the repplies and find many quite amusing, point is that a Flag should not cause a reason for eviction or else, its just a flag, no matter what it represent, Im sure if you go around your council you will find many flags that you can put a claim in.

But...

The very basic point its.............Its just an allotment for god sake a piece of land where normal people grow their own veggies and proud to work the dirt,   Blocking the view of the trees?????? cmon lets be serious.
This its the common problem that as become a massive Great Britain problem...someone complains to the authorities and because they dont have the balls to turn around and say...(shot your trap its just a St. George flag) they opted for the usual route..take it down or else.

I thought that this was going on in the town as building wise..but now the allotment too...lmao, people cant wear a cross at work because offends ahahahahahhahahahah...slowly slowly they are stripping us of ours traditions and belives, with the usual excuse that its politically incorrect.

If I was you I would take it down..but I will paint the shed instead...a massive St. George shed..lol

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2010, 18:43:18 »
The St George's cross isn't much of a tradition, it's something the politicians tried pushing a few years ago. Before that it was pretty much restricted to football and the occasional church tower. But never mind.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 18:44:55 by Robert_Brenchley »

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2010, 18:59:38 »
Maybe for you Robert, but some of us have followed the flag for a lot longer and are proud of it.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

guerriero75

• Not So New ...
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2010, 19:00:16 »
Yes Robert you absolutely right...but it makes even worst...

Still I think that a flag of a reasonable size shouldn't be a excuse for a council to evict somebody from their allotment.

Next will be....you cant grow striped courgette coz they are polically incorrect lol

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2010, 20:33:33 »
It's extremely unlikely that this has anything to do with political correctness.  I think it very much more likely that it's because I criticised the council for imposing a 47% increase in rents.

As it happens Newbury Town Council do fly a St. George Flag from the Town Hall on St. Georges Day - because two years ago I asked them to!  Here's what I said:

Policy and Resources Committee 21 April 2008

71. QUESTIONS AND PETITIONS FROM MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC

Mr Simon Kirby asked the following question:

“There's an item before you tonight to consider the policy for flying flags from the
Town Hall flag pole.

The policy being recommended to you tonight is the Department for Culture, Media
and Sport's rules for national government building such as prisons, research
establishments and VAT offices.  These rules have no application to Town Halls
which are free to fly whatever flag they choose, constrained only by the Town and
Country Planning regulations that flags other than national and county flags require
planning permission.

By all means let's fly the Union Flag on the Queen's birthday, but St. George's Day
is the English national day so please fly the Cross of St. George on Wednesday.

But this is the Newbury Town Hall.  The flag pole is a great opportunity to celebrate
Newbury's civic pride with some local colour.  How about we choose appropriate
days to fly the arms of Newbury's four twin towns, and then celebrate some of
Newbury's excellent institutions such as the Racecourse, Newbury Rugby club, The
Kennet and Avon Canal, Vodafone, Newbury Weekly News, St Barts and Park House
Schools, and of course a flag in National Allotments Week!

You could fly the Berkshire County flag without any additional permission, or better
still commission a Newbury flag and get planning permission to fly that, or fly one
for the specific institution.

It might also be nice to invite suggestions from the public for a couple of other flag
days so that Newbury can respect other events such as flying the Rainbow Flag in
Gay Pride Week”.

An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

sunshinegirl

• My glass is never empty!
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2010, 12:08:31 »
Hi unwashed... would i really need planning permission for a peace flag? That's crazy talk.... I'm gonna put it up anyway and see what happens. Seems like you're struggling with your council at the moment, I didn't realise allotments had such drama around them, I just want to plant my veggies and get on with it  ;D

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2010, 10:46:34 »
It's extremely unlikely that this has anything to do with political correctness.  I think it very much more likely that it's because I criticised the council for imposing a 47% increase in rents.

As it happens Newbury Town Council do fly a St. George Flag from the Town Hall on St. Georges Day - because two years ago I asked them to!  Here's what I said:

Policy and Resources Committee 21 April 2008

71. QUESTIONS AND PETITIONS FROM MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC

Mr Simon Kirby asked the following question:

“There's an item before you tonight to consider the policy for flying flags from the
Town Hall flag pole.

The policy being recommended to you tonight is the Department for Culture, Media
and Sport's rules for national government building such as prisons, research
establishments and VAT offices.  These rules have no application to Town Halls
which are free to fly whatever flag they choose, constrained only by the Town and
Country Planning regulations that flags other than national and county flags require
planning permission.

By all means let's fly the Union Flag on the Queen's birthday, but St. George's Day
is the English national day so please fly the Cross of St. George on Wednesday.

But this is the Newbury Town Hall.  The flag pole is a great opportunity to celebrate
Newbury's civic pride with some local colour.  How about we choose appropriate
days to fly the arms of Newbury's four twin towns, and then celebrate some of
Newbury's excellent institutions such as the Racecourse, Newbury Rugby club, The
Kennet and Avon Canal, Vodafone, Newbury Weekly News, St Barts and Park House
Schools, and of course a flag in National Allotments Week!

You could fly the Berkshire County flag without any additional permission, or better
still commission a Newbury flag and get planning permission to fly that, or fly one
for the specific institution.

It might also be nice to invite suggestions from the public for a couple of other flag
days so that Newbury can respect other events such as flying the Rainbow Flag in
Gay Pride Week”.

Sounds to me like the lunatics are running the asylum/decision by committee etc. Keep the flag flying. A question to ask is: what if you had made your own 'flag': a big rectangle with 'Unwashed's Plot' sewn onto it.  Would that also require removal?

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2010, 10:53:49 »
a big rectangle with 'Unwashed's Plot' sewn onto it
That would need planning permission, though it still wouldn't be any business of the town council.

Incidentally, the council did pick up my idea to have their own flag, though in true Newbury Town Council style they never actually did anything about it.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal