Author Topic: home made sausage meat to taste like shop bought.  (Read 7419 times)

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
Re: home made sausage meat to taste like shop bought.
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2010, 11:20:45 »
Well it is mixed and in the fridge to harden up a bit or else it will get some more bread crumbs in it.

I don't know if it was from you or not but I have used this for a seasoning idea

http://www.3men.com/sausage.htm#English%20Bangers

and worked down the ingredients to make about a pound and a half altogether. I weighed the dish then added the mush to find out.

It has caused more washing up than I hoped for. I did not want to make too much since it is just for a try out.....

Left overs and vegetables soup which will get some exotic name is in the slow cooker and I am having a well deserved cup of tea.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2010, 14:27:21 »
Let us know what they're like.  That recipe looks like a lot of mace and nutmeg, but it's all a matter of taste, of course.  Good luck

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2010, 15:26:10 »
I dont have any mace and could not find the nutmeg.

I used a half teaspoon of Italian seasoning a good shake of salt and pepper and some seasoning mix I had in a jar with a good shake of ginger. It was just to get an idea and I think I am closer. It would have taken more herbs and more spice but at this stage I need to get the texture right. May be I will leave out the stock next time.

Every thing worked out very well, I had two for lunch, the texture is a but soft, would be fine in a casing but I had to be careful shaping it and frying. It would not be firm enough for scotch eggs but the taste was nice for a change. The dog aint getting any, any way. It is mine.

Neither my mincer nor the food processer would cope with raw pork rind, so I can not use it like I know the shop ones do.

I suppose plain lard would work instead of pork fat, so next time I will add a little to some mince pork (which I know was too dry last time I tried, add bread crumbs and then work on the seasoning.

You will have to wait a week for another report. because there is only so much sausage I can eat in a week.

I will do proper measurments next time too.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2010, 18:27:38 »
Lard would melt  but chunks of pork fat would stay firmer as it still has the fibre network in it. If using solid pork fat you can take the rind off then the fat would go through your mincer.. if you want fat that melts in  then grab a pot of pork dripping at your local store.  Don't forget marjoram and sage give a super taste to sausages..I especially like the marjoram.

You are doing a grand job.

Have you checked out some of the US sites for recipes for English sausages, there are many expats there who yearn for a taste of home  XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2010, 19:51:36 »
Yes I agree about the texture. It is the problem I am currently having. To get cheap pork fat. I also have to buy the rind. Obviously the butcher can't separate it either or he would not be selling fatty rind for 34p a pound.

There must be a commercial chopper which the cheap sausage makers have and the investment is worth it to them because the make tons. I only want a little.

Still working on this........

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2010, 21:50:13 »
 Cut off most of the fat then bake the  remaining rind with a little fat left on slightly salted  if you wish and you wll get great pork scratchings, the fat that runs off is lard..XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2010, 06:56:06 »
I have done pork scratchings like that and then used the fat for roasting spuds.

The thing is they tend to be addictive and then go straight to the hips so try to avoid my many calorific addictions where ever possible.

Why can't I like things like celery and water cress? Well I don't dislike them but they would rot in the fridge waiting for me to get the urge to nibble on them

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2010, 08:49:52 »
Nor me, I love homemade scratchings XX

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2010, 13:09:34 »
I think the magic ingredient in shop-bought sausages is MSG, and industrial quantities of salt!

bruiron

• Not So New ...
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2010, 19:46:09 »
Hi

This is a sausage I make it's better then you buy today.

1940's Speciality Pork Sausage               

Per 1000g of sausage meat         

Ingredients               

Shoulder Pork 85% lean   51.8   %     =   518   g
Pork Fat                            17.3   %     =   173   g
Seasoning Mix              2.1   %     =   21   g
Rusk/Bread Crumbs            14.4   %     =   144   g
Chilled Water            14.4   %     =   144   g

Total   1000   g

Seasoning Mix         21   g   

Salt                  55   %    =   11.55   g
White Pepper          18   %    =   3.78   g
Mace                  13   %    =   2.73   g
Ginger                  8.8   %    =   1.848   g
Sage                  5.2   %    =   1.092   g

Total   21   g

Fred

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2010, 20:04:18 »
Fred where have you been?

That is exactly the sort of information I wanted. Brilliant. Probably a little too posh for my rubbish recipe search but it will certainly help with my spice blending.

Mace is one spice I never use, it appears in a lot of 'old' recipes I know but if my ever aging memory serves I think it is mustard related which makes sense as bangers and mustard have a history of a long and happy marriage.

I went round the butchers today scavaging for bits for the ever hungry dog and there was some very pink looking 'economy mince' in one for a wonderfully cheap price of £1.48 a kilo.....

Yes we all know it is going to be nearly all fat but it is probably the right sort of thing to add to minced pork to get the cheap fatty effect. I bought some and the dog seems to find it acceptable.

Dog lovers just don't bother going there. He eats anything and everything including wrappers. Adopted as a stray of unknown parentage and age he does everything I tell him to. If it suits him. 

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2010, 22:53:37 »
I think Mace is the outer coating of nutmeg or something like that, but I might be wrong XX Jeannine

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2010, 07:26:58 »
You are right again Jeannine, it is. I have got nutmeg. It is nice, grated onto cooked spinach. (well I think so)

It will do. I wonder just how much different the flavour is? Spice is so hard to 'taste' raw, they have to be mixed to come alive.

bruiron

• Not So New ...
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2010, 11:12:20 »
Hi PurpleHeather,

I’ve crated an excel file were all you do is type in your quantity of sausage meat, it then works out your quantity meat, fat and the different spices and so on as required.

If you want I will email you a copy my email address is : bruiron@o2.co.uk

Fred

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2010, 17:38:49 »
Clever!!

Mace? These are the dregs of my bottle. Use it more than Nutmeg. In so many things. 'Meatier'.

And, in passsing, another angle  -
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/photo04/cooking/sausmeat.jpg

Shades of 5 & 7 Spice?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 18:19:04 by tim »

bruiron

• Not So New ...
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2010, 20:39:38 »
Hi PurpleHeather,

I’ve crated an excel file were all you do is type in your quantity of sausage meat, it then works out your quantity meat, fat and the different spices and so on as required.

If you want I will email you a copy
Fred

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2010, 08:35:17 »
Thanks for the offer Fred

I have sent you an e-mail

you can get to me on

pheather0@googlemail.com

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2010, 09:40:36 »
just a tip PH.best that you remove your addy from general view and PM it to him.

have fun with your sausage making!

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2010, 14:21:04 »
Hyacinth I just created that e-mail address for the purpose of. Any one can use it if they want to. I aint as daft as I look.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2010, 17:30:26 »
And here's the fresh batch of Mace.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal