Author Topic: paths  (Read 4343 times)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
paths
« on: March 17, 2010, 15:27:27 »
How wide are paths suppose to be between plots.   I am in Birmingham so calling squash64 if you are free.

Jeanbean

• Half Acre
  • Make the most of today....
Re: paths
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 16:48:36 »
Not sure in your area but we have been told 18 inches. This isn't wide enough for us so we have made most 2 foot or a litle more. Daft thing is only 9 inches belong to each plot so in some instances people only mow 9 inches. Seems a waste of time to mow 9 inches so we mow all the width just to make it easier to walk on.

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 16:59:46 »
I think ours are approx 24".
It should be in you allotment rules.

Neil

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 18:22:27 »
Thanks for the replies.
I looked thro' the rules on-line, and also  in my information which I got when I started renting my plot but it just says you are expect to mow/strim your half.  A bit odd as JeanBean says. I do think the width of  wheelbarrow handles  is necessary.
I don't have a problem with my neighbours.  We agreed 18" is not wide enough, and we are leaving 30".

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 18:46:22 »
In our rules it is 30 inches  any less than that and we have problems with insurance.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 09:40:14 »
You can't get a barrow down an 18-inch path reliably. I'd have thought 2 1/2 feet would be enough. I'm not sure how it works on your site, but half from each plot (presumably you don't need paths up both sides of the plot) would mean 1 1/2 feet from each would add up to a very adequate 3 foot path.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 05:58:35 »
Not sure if there is a standard width here in Birmingham. On our site all paths between plots are made from 2' x 2' slabs and this works fine. I've heard about some sites where each plot is fenced all around and I don't think this would be wide enough in that case but there is no problem on 'open' plots.

Are you having problems?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 19:22:08 »
We have no specific sizes on our site but I would say each path needs to be wide enough for a wheelbarrow.  However, all tracks on our site need to be 10ft wide.  This stops plotholders stretching plots onto the public path and is also the size dictated by the town council to allow emergency vehicle access around the site if required.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 14:38:08 »
We definitely have a problem with our paths, which are 18 inches. That includes the paths to get to our row of plots, which are at the back.

Our paths are also very uneven and slippery, on steep slopes. Lots of plots have electric fences to keep badgers off, Imagine how much I enjoy slithering along between two electric fences, 18" apart on muddy clay!  ::)

So I would agree with the others, that 18" isn't a good width apart for access paths. Though between plots can be okay, depending on how wide the plots are. wide plots might have paths down the middle as well, so narrow ones at either side is ok.

Digindep

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 18:11:01 »
2ft,.....................Two foot.....600mm...= 2ft.... ;) ;) ;) :)  as a rule!!!!!
Born with nothing
 'Aint spent it yet

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 21:25:16 »
Are you saying you measure your paths to the millimetre?

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 22:14:37 »
Min 2ft with us,  many are slabbed. But it dont stop you having a wider one, you just loose a bit of growing space.

Lots of plots have electric fences to keep badgers off.

We have problems with badgers and were told all we could do was use string or wire mesh.

Electric fences would have the animal liberation round as well as the council and the parks warden.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 21:04:33 »
Min 2ft with us,  many are slabbed. But it dont stop you having a wider one, you just loose a bit of growing space.

On your own plot of course that's true. But when you have to get between other people's plots, to reach yours, that's when you can have a problem.

I might raise it with the new committee coordinator - maybe we could all sacrifice a few inches of plot to make the paths a bit wider, and help people access their allotments.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 09:10:23 »
as ours has to be accesible to all, the main paths are 4' wide, we only have 2' between ordinary plots but all the paths around the raised beds for our disabled plot holders are at least 3' if that makes sense  ;D

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 09:26:54 »
Ours are about 2 feet wide, but in some places they have been "lost", or meander a bit. I'm trying to get them re-established. And where I split a plot in two I insist on the creation of a 2 foot path between the two halves.

belairebel

• Not So New ...
  • I am a Dog Lover and proud of it! Pic of my curren
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 11:27:57 »
Ours are 18" but it is not sufficient. Fortunately, I have a good neighbour and we made a mutual decision to maximise it to 2ft, each of us gicing a little slice of our plots to do so.

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 12:16:28 »
Our plots (Hartlepool) are in the main fenced around individually, with lanes running between the rows of plots (big gates locked at the ends).  The exterior fencing down the lanes is high and solid (although ours is see-through)  Between the plots it's a matter of personal choice how high they are.  I like the privacy aspect but also love to chat with others around the water taps etc.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 13:02:55 »
Just caught up with this thread.  I have now had an email from the allotments dept..   In Birmingham it is .600c or 24 ".

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal