Author Topic: Big Problems with Vista Laptop  (Read 5418 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Big Problems with Vista Laptop
« on: March 17, 2010, 12:20:07 »
I have a laptop running windows vista which I have had for about 9 months. Until recently all has been fine, very happy with it and none of the problems people often report about vista.

For the last 2 or 3 days it seems to have developed a significant problem. It will run for around 5 to 20 minutes then all of a sudden it will stop responding to inputs (but not totally freeze up) and make this incessant clicking noise, a noise the PC does make whilst working normally but not continuously like it does when it stops working. The only course of action then is to power down using the mains on button. On restarting I get presented with the options to either go into  safe mode or start normally. Normal mode just repeats the problem but the machine seems to work fine in safe mode, so I cant see that the problem is with the hardware (although the clicking does sound like a hard drive problem).

I have tried various scans to get to the bottom of the problem including a full virus scan using Norton IS 09. I have also uninstalled the last piece of software installed (Google Chrome). The problem still persists. I have just tried System Restore but that doesnt seem to have worked either.

Unless another solution can be found I will have no choice but to do a complete system reset and reinstall windows. This is the 'Nuclear' option that i would rather not take

Can anyone offer any advice or point me in the direction of help with this matter.

I am happy to provide any further info if this will help.

Thanks

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
Re: Big Problems with Vista Laptop
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 16:41:52 »
Does the clicking noise still happen when you mute the sound?
If it was the h/d then i dought your pc would work at all or you would get a blue screen with white writing.

A lot of problems with windows are the new updates, try uninstalling any recent windows updates.

You can also re-install windows over it's self without formatting the laptop, all the files stay the same but windows is installed under a new file. I use to do this with 98 and xp if i had any problems (back up your imortant files just incase, including your internet favourites folder).

Neil

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 18:00:20 »
Hi Its so frustrating when your computer goes on the blink.
Im on vista and hae been very happy for the last 3 years and no problems with any updates so far.

Have you checked to see if you are over heating? 9 months might be enough time for your vent to fur up. Try wedging it off the surface and see if that helps.

On vista you have a second chance option calledback up and restore on the control panel. You can set a restore point today then restore back to see if you can correct any fault.
if you went back a few months what would happen is that it would flag any files that you have written since and ask you if you want to save them.If it doesnt work you can then just select to return to todays restore point.

Also sometimes norton isnt as fast as other anti virus programs, i always have two other free ones running these are clam and avg both offer free downloads of the programs.
Another thing you might try is the free windows advanced system care program that will do a good survey and scrub this is also a free download. just google any of these and look for the free .
versions. good luck with it
x sunloving

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 10:59:28 »
Thanks for replies.

nilly71: The clicking happens with the sound on or off, makes no diference. As to resetting Windows (as i like to call reinstalling Windows and starting afresh FYI), my machine does not seem to have the option to reinstall Vista without deleting files. I have a choice of running reinstall from recovery partition or from a set of disks made when i first got the machine. Both options delete files and software before reinstalling Vista. This is strange as it seems a backward step. I have an older desktop with a recovery partition that gives me the option of reinstalling windows (XP) without deleting files.

Tried using System restore to remove recent windows updates but it did no good. Cant be updates (for windows at least) causing the problem.

sunloving: Considered the overheating bit. The machine is actualy my dad's and he uses it an awful lot for browsing and streaming video. Thought when the problem first started it was a fan problem and the machine was getting too hot but the problem continued even when steps were taken to keep the machine cooler (by using it on a table rather than lap).

Have to look into the options in backup and restore. have used the basic system restore (above) and thought backup referred to files not the system. Will check it out for future reference.

Do wonder about Norton sometimes. Get the feeling it misses things sometimes. That said once I had done a couple of system restores it did not seem to work at all! Found the windows care programme but it wouldn't install for some reason. Will try it again.

Update: Since posting I have 'bitten the bullet' and run the system reset to reinstall windows (after backing up files and settings). So far so good, problem has not reoccurred but then again there isn't anything on the computer now! Am gradually replacing most used software and see how far i get before the problem reoccurs (if it does).  In fact the clicking briefly returned just before  a tracking cookie was detected - all fine again once the tracking cookie was removed. I am wondering though if the original problem was a 'bug' or virus of some kind that Norton failed to pick up.

It has often been discussed how Norton isn't as good as it could be for the cost of using it. I was wondering if anyone could recommend anything better - idealy free, apart from the Windows care programme which i am guessing is only for Vista onwards?

Thanks

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 15:34:02 »
AVG is the only anti-virus software i use...and it's free.
I have been using it for years and usually uninstall norton.
http://free.avg.com/gb-en/download-avg-anti-virus-free

I turn off automatic updates for Windows too as I know a few people that have had problems after their pc updated it's self.

Neil

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 10:19:04 »
I'd use AVG as well or Avast if you prefer...

I would slightly disagree with nilly71 on the auto update issues.  While there have been a few issues with some early vista updates I would say that it's more imortant to be patched.  I auto update around 800 PCs (although I only do critial updates) with no real issues but then I dont have Vista running wither..

I guess it's a personal choice but I'd go for a patched PC any day...
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 17:44:30 »
Thanks

I have used AVG before and found it to be good but went back to Norton after getting the laptop in question. I have one subscription a/c that does 3 PCs I keep meaning to try it again but technically the PCs aren't mine (although I do all the maintainance on them!) and the owners like Norton and can't see anything wrong with it. To them if its free it cant be that good.

One point I have about AVG vs Norton IS is that while Norton Is is antivirus and a firewall, AVg is just antivirus and you need either windows firewall or another free firewall programme (which might conflict with AVG.

I too am a bit suspicious of windows updates. i wonder if it need them all but still install them just in case i do. I feel that after a while they clutter up the hard drive and OS slowing the machine down.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 19:35:09 »
If this is any use to you Richard, I've got Vista on the laptop & my puter blokey recently installed his anti-v stuff of choice - Avast + Malwarebytes + CCleaner, all free, all do what it says on the tin 8) He recommended I install the 'critical' Windows updates as/when I get notified of them.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 20:16:01 »
I have Vista too, had to have a new hard drive installed in my laptop as it got badly bumped off by viruses when we came here, would't buy a new one so paid the about 80 sterling to get it fixed but the keys don'e line up with the programme.They put Vista in.
 for eg   ##### this where my english pound key was  and it has vanished completely. I don't know why because I had the $ sign and pound sign before

"""""""""""""""""""this is where my @  was (they swapped places)

|||||this used to be a wavy line.

\\\\\\ is where the one that bumped my pound key was.

Most confusing,, I think I need a new one

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 21:12:29 »
Jeannine, you've got an American keyboard layout (as have I on my lappy & just checked my English keyboard - everything's as you've said (well, written,like.) X

Stopp

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 21:31:25 »

Comodo Firewall works well with AVG but they also do a complete suite - anti-virus, firewall and malware prevention  all FREE

http://www.comodo.com/products/free-products.php
Sharon T

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 23:40:55 »
Oh well Lish that's me..up the downhill staircase again!!   My  Mother used to say I wanted everything different to everyone else,I swear  if I was a salmom I guess I would swim towards the sea to get my jollies..Laptop came with me from UK fixed here so you are right.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 23:55:20 »
jeannine,
I'm not sure if you know, but you can change your setting to UK keyboard so your £ will be back to key3, as will the rest.

I'm on the old office pc at the moment so can't remember the whole sequence for Vista. Try Start- Settings-Control panel- then it's either keyboard or language options
Sometimes there is a little icon down by the clock that says something like language, click on this and change it.

Neil

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 00:29:41 »
I can't find it XX Jeannine

jazzman2

• Not So New ...
  • Do One Thing Brave Today ...Then Run Like Hell
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 06:21:27 »
Hi Garden Assistant
 some thing to consider is windows 7 now has a more comprehensive repair suite built into it which I used to repair , without losing any files, my daughters Vista Laptop, I just put the disk in the DVD ,ran repair and then took the disk out, it still runs Vista, as for good free programs go to DOWNLOAD.COM download AVG free anti virus suite and try Advanced system care free a good tool to clean and help maintain system performance

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 09:10:21 »
starting another thread for J - don't want to disturb GA's thread..

Lishka

carosanto

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2010, 18:19:31 »
Hi  Although this topic is a few months old I hope you don't mind me resurrecting it.  I've read through all the posts, as I have a tremendous problem, and I am sure it is down to Norton.  Just lately everything occasionally slows to a stop and my computer becomes totally unresponsive.  My BBC I-player is malfunctioning and my Skype is now absolute rubbish and often refuses to connect or de-pixel-ates the picture of my Skype correspondent.

I have tried most of the solutions suggested in previous threads to no avail. Even as I type this the letters are coming up 'in arrears'.  If I check my Norton at times like this I find that an scan was performed in the last minute or so, and I presume that Norton is perfoming its own updates.

My Toshiba laptop, running Vista, now ALWAYS seems to be performing a background task (Norton AV?) and my CPU usage is seldom less than 100%.  Are my problems similar to those experienced by others, and is Norton to blame?  Also how difficult is it to de-install Norton?  I desperately need help on this as my computer is becoming unuseable.

Regards, Caro

If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

carosanto

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2010, 10:12:07 »
Hi

Since writing my previous post on Norton, I decided to make a completely new thread.  Apols if I've led you up the gaden path!

Regards Caro
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

Easywriter

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2010, 20:54:26 »
Get a Windows 7 upgrade disc!

I went straight from XP to 7, I wouldn't touch Vista with a bargepole.
The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2010, 17:43:55 »
I wouldn't touch Vista with a bargepole.

Here!, here!.

It was Vista that decided me to go the Linux way with Ubuntu OS. I have been very satisfied with the move.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal