Author Topic: Potatoes in tubs  (Read 2317 times)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Potatoes in tubs
« on: March 06, 2010, 14:30:59 »
I had great success last year planting seed potatoes for a lady in those pop-up refuse bags sold at Poundland. They're 35cm diameter, mildew resistant & have heavy duty handles. Storage is easy when they're not in use cos they concertina up & there are little side ties. I poked drainage holes 'bout 2" up from the bottom & lined the bags with newspaper before starting to fill them. End of the season there were perfect potatoes, really clean - and completely slug free 8)

Just now I've bought 4 of these bags for myself. It's an excellent way of growing them when space in the garden plottie's at a premium & this year I particularly don't want to tie up garden space with stuff which needs time to mature in the ground cos I may be on the move.....and I'll be able to take my PFA's with  me ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Potatoes in tubs
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 18:28:23 »
we do that, we've 4 of them and when the early spuds come out, they're getting dwarf french beans in, keep them out of the way of the slugs, hopefully  ;D

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 17:04:20 »
Might try them for carrots this year- I've done well with dustbins but these are much cheaper. Do you think they are at least 2ft high? (above carrot fly level)

beckydore

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 12:30:17 »
If not, could you stick them on top of something else so that gets above 2ft?
I've never had any luck with carrots.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal