Author Topic: Who cleans the toilet?  (Read 2058 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Who cleans the toilet?
« on: March 16, 2010, 06:17:42 »
If you have a meeting-room, toilets and other public areas on your site, who cleans them?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: Who cleans the toilet?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 12:49:37 »
We don't have toilets on our site for this exact reason - there would not be a budding queue of volunteers to take turns at that job - 140 plots would not get 140 cleaners.   The committee clean the shop though. 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 15:40:47 »
We have a portaloo which is maintained by the Council.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 16:14:52 »
Committee... not a job I'm sorry to see go. Officially on a rota but I often forgot my turn... but also did it if it needed it...  :-\

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 18:35:08 »
The reason I asked is because on our site it seems to be only the chairman and me who do it.  Even the rest of the committee don't seem to see that these sort of jobs have to be done. 

I think there will be some discussion at the next committee meeting....
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 20:06:56 »
On our site, all our committee members are on the rota to clean our compost toilet for a week at a time, every ten weeks (They weren't asked if they would agree to do this but our chairman said they'd need to all take a turn with the cleaning and 'here is the list') - but the three committee members on our committee who do nothing but turn up at committee meetings somehow seem to 'forget' its their turn although each person is given a copy of the rota.
We have recently had a very large community allotment building put up and at our last committee meeting volunteers were asked to go on the rota to clean this - but no one volunteered (I have been doing the cleaning since it went up in December) so our chairman is again going to just put all the committee on the rota and give everyone a copy at our next committee meeting.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 08:53:44 »
The women used to do both but the men never did so we said they should take their turn, they laughed so I said OK ladies we will only do own own from now, they said fair enough..then they started nicking our toilet rolls, they denied it so we bought pink, then if ours went missing we nicked it back, then they left us alone, they still did theirs and we did ours.. which was good cos ours was pretty and very clean..theirs..well nuff said,

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 12:49:55 »
ALL types of manure is composted on our site.....

:o  8)
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 13:42:08 »
Our compost toilet is from 'Natsol' - barley straw is added after use (urine drains out separately to a soakaway in our hazel plantation);  it has two vaults, one side is used for around a year, then this is sealed off and the pedastel moved to over the other vault.  The first vault is emptied after another year and the material used on non-food crop areas - by this time it will be very well rotted down.  Natsol also suggest that 'compost worms' can be added to the vaults to further process the waste, and we've done this - last inspection showed they're working away.  We've had our compost toilet since last May and we are delighted with it, its fully disabled accessible (we have pupils in wheelchairs come on regular visits to our allotments), there is no smell and its easy to keep clean.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 15:19:05 »
non-food crop areas

Why can't you use it on food crops?

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 18:21:28 »
non-food crop areas

Why can't you use it on food crops?
Parasitic roundworm eggs remain viable for some years, though most other nasties are harmless after a year of composting.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 00:45:02 »
Sound delightful, and very good for the environment  but I couldn't use it.. my  bits stop working when faced with anything that  doesn't have shiny tiles, polished stainless steel,floors as clean as a counter and great bif hefty whoosh noises. :-\ :-\

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

kippers garden

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 18:51:06 »
I don't believe anyone cleans our toilet...it is horrid.  There is no sink and to be honest if i'm desparate i'd rather go behind my shed.
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 19:36:38 »
We have toilet and meeting area with sink, kettle etc. We have a rota of volunteers some committee members some not. Some use the area alot others rarely. It is all cleaned once a week and can become fairly muddy inside - sometimes people who have used it clean it a bit inbetween. We also have some  groups using the facilities MIND and people doing community work  as part of their punishment ( cannot think of the correct word to use)

It has worked very well and helps make it more of a community we have over a hundred plots run by council but have allotment association who organise rota and cleaning materials which we pay for.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal