Author Topic: swedes.  (Read 4016 times)

Good Gourd 2

• Half Acre
  • My minature allotment.
swedes.
« on: March 15, 2010, 07:38:47 »
Help, what am I doing wrong I can`t grow swedes.  They germinate OK, I put a sprinkling of garden lime in. All I get are swedes shrivelled and not as big as carrots. Flea beetle is a problem with raddishes etc on the plot but they usually get over it and are fine.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: swedes.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 07:50:46 »
I struggle too so I'm going to watch this one carefully...  :-X

Good Gourd 2

• Half Acre
  • My minature allotment.
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 08:04:25 »
Thank you Saddad, glad I`m not on me own. I do wonder if it is flea beetle, although I can grow turnips. But I like swedes best.

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 13:28:41 »
Well, I'm definitely no swede expert - but on the other hand I'm still using them from last season so must be doing something right. I always grow them under enviromesh so perhaps that makes a difference.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 14:25:17 »
Swedes are an undemanding brasica that dont like a high PH,they do do best in a neutral one. I set my seed away in plastic cups and transplant them out making sure not to damage the tap root.
A couple of weeks before planting out i rake the soil into a mound about 4" high and sprinkle grow more or fish blood and bone along the top.
After planting i then keep the plants moist to ensure rapid growth this helps against the flea beetle as it only attacks the very young leaves, i try to never to let them get checked.
If the flea beetle is a big problem then a very light dusting with ant powder works.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Good Gourd 2

• Half Acre
  • My minature allotment.
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 17:07:25 »
Makes sense plot51a, I will try enviromesh and ant powder. Thank you for your help.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 19:06:31 »
Mine have been crap for the last two years, first year they tasted orrid and last year they just didn't grow, I'm off to check how TG does his.   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 19:27:36 »
I have just been looking at hometownseeds.com   Is rutabaga what we know as swede?

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 21:03:30 »
I grow Marion swede.  I sow them 2 seeds per module in seed trays, prick out the weakest and transplant the other.  That's about it really.  No special feed or anything, just left to their own devices once transplanted.  I couldn't grow any when direct sowing but have great success this past 4 years since transplanting them.

Last year, a fellow gardener gave me a black bucket with 25-30 swede plants in it.  He threw some seed into the bucket of compost earlier in the year and they were about 8" tall when I transplanted them into the ground.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 09:18:51 »
I have just been looking at hometownseeds.com   Is rutabaga what we know as swede?

Not really, it's a fodder crop, similar to swedes in the way that field beans are similar to broad beans..... you'd eat one if you were desperate but I doubt if you would choose to.....

I didn't grow swedes last year but previously I've used the same technique as ktlawson.... stick a few seeds in modules, thin to the best in each, plant out after early spuds or salads (not radishes), check PH and lime if needed but they're not quite as alkaline loving as other brassicas...... they do want plenty of water during the summer though not as much as celeriac.....

chrisc

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 22:14:47 »

I'd say yes, swede are known as rutabaga in America.

I more often sow individually in modules, to avoid flea beetle. I treat pretty much as ktlawson, although I've used Bora and Virtue the last few years. I'm also trying Western Perfection this year. Can't really give any tips as they just get on and do their stuff  :)....sorry
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 09:23:29 »
I've had reasonable success with 'Marian', and also grow in  modules and plant out, but am going to try 'Best of All' and 'Joan' this year as well. Mine have done well under a mesh tunnel overwinter too.....flea beetle seems to love them which knocks them back considerably. I find they like mushroom compost dug in before planting out as well.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 21:25:20 »
I sowed Marian in modules as well. They have grown very straggly. Can I pot the on the same as cabbages....up to the first leaves?
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

chuff

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 14:36:27 »
I have had no success with swedes :( I'm going to sow in pots this year so fingers crossed i will get a crop cos i haven't had 1 yet ;D

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 14:42:37 »
Eat when desperate? I LOVE them...great with Haggis...mash with butter and black pepper :)
Jackie

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2010, 17:59:11 »
Just had a lovely dinner of this mashed with blak pepper and butter...teamed with our own spuds mashed...and a McSweens veggie Haggic. Will polish off with some home-made Yoghurt now :)
Jackie

Amazingrotavator(Derby)

• Half Acre
  • My best mate
    • www.mandjderbygardens.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 18:03:42 »
I sowed Marian in modules as well. They have grown very straggly. Can I pot the on the same as cabbages....up to the first leaves?
They are part of the brassica family,treat them the same,pot them to the first leaves.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 22:57:53 »
Best swede recipe I've ever found is mashed with nutmeg - they love each other - one of those amazing mixtures that is better than the sum of its parts...
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal