Author Topic: I feel naked this morning....  (Read 5087 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
I feel naked this morning....
« on: March 13, 2010, 06:56:18 »
I am extremely short-sighted and wear glasses all the time......apart from when they fall apart like they have this morning. :(

I can see the pc monitor if I am about 12 inches away from it, so that's ok, but I don't feel confident about walking the dogs this morning. In fact, I don't think I can go anywhere, I feel naked!

I hope the opticians can repair them - the arm has come off completely and one of the lens has fallen out.  Stupidly, I don't have a spare pair. :'(
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Re: I feel naked this morning....
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 07:00:36 »
Oh dear Squash, hope you get them fixed today. I bet the dogs are wondering why they can't have "walkies" this morning. You have reminded me I have to make an appointment with the optician.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 07:10:24 »
its a horrible feeling isn't it! I broke mine a while ago, and the old pair I had was useless, and gave me headaches. So I hope you can get them fixed quickly  :)

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 07:17:53 »

Hope you get them fixed soon.

Neil

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 07:35:19 »
Should have gone to specsavers ;)

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 07:48:24 »
If you wear them all the time, as I do, then you really should have a spare pair!
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 08:02:51 »
I keep a few pairs of cheapo Tesco reading glasses round the house. Mind you I'm long-sighted - it's the close work that's more of a problem. But I agree - it's wise to have a spare pair just in case.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 08:48:57 »
Sounds like you have lost a screw. I keep old pairs of glasses when I get new ones for just such an emergency. Trouble is I am the only one now with the manual dexterity skills to repair the glasses and of course without my glasses I cannot see to repair them.
If that is all it is then, it is a five minutes task to repair the frames.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 08:55:04 »
Having a spare pair of specs is one of those things I keep meaning to do, but somehow never seem to get around to.  I've learned my lesson now.

The arm has snapped off completely so it's probably not possible to repair it. My son has stuck it back on with tape so at least I can see to walk round the house.  I know I look like Jack Duckworth but who cares, I can see!

Phoning the opticians in a minute. Thanks for your concern everyone. :)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

zigzig

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 08:55:27 »
In Japan they make specs for the short sighted which are cheaply available in most Asian markets. Handy as sun glasses and as spares. They only do reading glasses here, probably because there are so many more long sighted people than short sighted in the UK.

If you can not find a deal to suit you at an optician, when  you get your new prescription take a look at the following site. You are entitled to your prescription so make sure they give you a copy.

http://www.specs-by-post.com/

You complete the prescription details and you get a good set of spares cheaper than most opticians can offer. Possibly you could get them by post faster than the order from the optician, so worth considering.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 09:07:49 »
Specs by post was recommended to me by some one who used them and they were very pleased since the optician had quoted them £240.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 10:15:54 »
My son has stuck it back on with tape so at least I can see to walk round the house.  I know I look like Jack Duckworth but who cares, I can see!

So at least you are now "dressed" then  ;D

Wilder

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 10:42:20 »
I'm currently in the denial stage of spec wearing.

Three years ago I was tested and needed specs to drive and on occassion to watch TV. Now I need them anytime I go out of the house and want to see at any distance (train /airport display screens). If I don't take them I squint, and lets face it, specs are a much better look than squinting!!
St Leonard's on Sea

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 08:43:39 »
Thanks ZigZig for the specsbypost link. They are certainly a lot cheaper than the opticians I got my (broken) ones from.

I made an appointment for an eye test but they can't do it till a week on Wednesday so I've got to put up with my Duckworth specs till then. 
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 08:54:56 »
I just picked up my first pair of specs this week.  Just +1:00 for reading but after two years of denial (its dark in this restaurant! - Why is this print so small?) I caved in to middle age.
How on earth does one keep track of the d**n things.  I have no idea where they are now and in 4 days I have "lost" them half a dozen times.
So my plan is to go to the pound shop and buy about 6 pairs which I can scatter around my life (Car, work, Bedside table etc) - that way I'll always have a pair handy!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 09:30:47 »
Just (Jack)Duck-ing in with another thumbs up for the specs-by-post lot. A friend has always used them & recommended them to me. So once you've got your first new pair & script, get yourself some spares.

All the best, Lish

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 11:19:08 »
Ten days seems a long time to wait Squash64.  Are there no other opticians in the area?  Some branches of Boots and Tesco have optician services.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 11:52:26 »
If you wear them all the time, as I do, then you really should have a spare pair!

So should I ...  :-[

Spudbash

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2010, 13:30:16 »
If anyone reading this is buying specs for the first time, it might pay to consider the Morgan brand. I had my last pair for over two years and because of the way they're designed, the lens never once fell out. This means I never had the bother of finding a missing miniature screw or the right size of screwdriver to fix it. And I never needed a spare pair. Now that I have a new prescription, I've gone for Morgan again.

How this weighs up against the very cheap over-the-counter specs - or against other people's experience with Morgan, I've no idea.

As for putting specs down and not being able to find them, when I went through that stage, I just resorted to wearing them all the time - not only were they to be found on my head, but I could actually see them, because I had my glasses on!!!  ;D

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 14:02:29 »
Ten days seems a long time to wait Squash64.  Are there no other opticians in the area?  Some branches of Boots and Tesco have optician services.

I know Pauline, but because I have macular degeneration and I have digital photos taken of my eyes when I go there, I don't really want to change opticians. I'll just put up with wonky duckworths till then. ;)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal