Author Topic: leeks  (Read 6710 times)

Wilder

• Quarter Acre
Re: leeks
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 10:26:20 »
I planted Musslebugh and white lisbon 2 weeks ago under cold frame outside and not a dicky bird. My middle name is not patience so I'm guessing I'll have a trawl through some garden centres and see if they have a few to plant out later.
St Leonard's on Sea

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 10:40:07 »
I would not give up on them yet.  Watched pots and all that. 

Wilder

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2010, 11:35:37 »
tee-hee! I just went on ebay and found that 5 leek plugs

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5-x-Leek-Zermatt-vegetable-plug-plants_W0QQitemZ310206024431QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN?hash=item4839b84aef

cost £2 without p&p.

think the garden will teach me some patience yet!!!
St Leonard's on Sea

Wilder

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2010, 13:21:46 »
....and a short week later, Digeroo, the French onions seeds, Hatif de Paris have started to sprout!

(the impatient gardener!)
St Leonard's on Sea

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2010, 16:26:26 »
I was wondering if I could put my leeks (it pots) that are now a few inches high outside yet? I can't remember what I did last year  ::) . I'm presuming their tough little things?

Thanks

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2010, 16:33:29 »
Leeks are quite hardy but i don,t think i would be putting them outside just yet, but then i am in the North East so not the warmest of places.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2010, 16:36:42 »
Thanks Davy - its just with April and the squash / bean planting I'll be juggling for space. I'll keep them in for a week or so more then put them in the placcy greenhouse for a few days. What I do need to remember is to pot them on again!

beckydore

• Half Acre
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2010, 17:40:38 »
I haven't even picked half of my leeks from last year yet!! but hopefully I will when I get down the lottie at the weekend.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2010, 17:52:00 »

Did you use any heat in your cold-frame, I have two cracking trays of leeks coming on beautiful little things, :)

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2010, 19:42:48 »
Thanks Davy - its just with April and the squash / bean planting I'll be juggling for space. I'll keep them in for a week or so more then put them in the placcy greenhouse for a few days. What I do need to remember is to pot them on again!

I have been growing for a few year now and never had to pot on one pot leek i don,t understand why people make a rod for their own backs. I set my leeks away in plant pots the top is covered with clear polythene or glass then something to keep the light out.

[attachment=1]

After germination they are left to grow on in the same pot till they get planted out.

[attachment=2]

does not take much space up either

DAVY

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2010, 19:53:16 »
Mine are doing well, germinated well in the pots.  When do peeps put them outside.  Do they need hardening off first?

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2010, 21:13:28 »
Digeroo. I think they say you should plant them out when they're the thickness of a pencil. I think the jury is out on whether to trim or not ;).

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2010, 21:23:08 »
I think you have to be lucky to get them the size of a pencil it more like the size of the wire come out the back of your mouse.
I always top and tail mjy leeks apart from making it easier to get into the dibble hole it promotes new root growth. When you trim the tops its usually only two flags and you loose them anyway.
Planting out usually depends on where you live and of course the weather.

DAVY

gaz2000

• Half Acre
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2010, 21:28:15 »
i started mine last week in the greenhouse and they are already breaking the compost

last time i grew leeks i trimmed the roots,had tasty leeks but far from show winners

this time im not trimming the roots just to see, also have some spare drainpipe around the plot so will try blanching them for the first time

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2010, 21:50:43 »
i started mine last week in the greenhouse and they are already breaking the compost

last time i grew leeks i trimmed the roots,had tasty leeks but far from show winners

this time im not trimming the roots just to see, also have some spare drainpipe around the plot so will try blanching them for the first time

Fine if you are growing Blanch leeks, but for pot leeks it does not really work as the leek will reach for light and not fatten up and you end up with a tall thin spindly leek So you have to fatten the leek then collar it but by then the days are to short so there is not enough light for the leek to reach for.

DAVY

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2010, 09:59:01 »
I have been growing for a few year now and never had to pot on one pot leek i don,t understand why people make a rod for their own backs. I set my leeks away in plant pots the top is covered with clear polythene or glass then something to keep the light out.

After germination they are left to grow on in the same pot till they get planted out.

does not take much space up either

Basically I saw your thread / pics after I had sown mine in much smaller pots  ::) Lesson learnt - hope to remember it for next year  :) Thanks again!

Digindep

• Half Acre
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2010, 10:20:02 »
Usually plant the leeks out as I lift the tatties, by then they are of good size..
so 10-12 weeks time onwards, keep lifting (spuds ) follow with leeks.

Oh! I grow/sow my leeks in as deeper tray, pot as possible, once they are well on their way, crash hats have dissapeared  :), leave them outside to harden off.
Happy plotting one and all  ;)
Born with nothing
 'Aint spent it yet

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2010, 18:37:03 »
Leeks are quite hardy but i don,t think i would be putting them outside just yet, but then i am in the North East so not the warmest of places.

...but one of the easiest places on the planet to get advice about leeks if memory serves :D

chrisc

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal