Author Topic: Planted fruit trees, did we do it wrong?  (Read 1594 times)

lauraandclive

• Not So New ...
    • www.eternityfilms.co.uk
Planted fruit trees, did we do it wrong?
« on: March 22, 2010, 20:57:14 »
We planted a cherry tree, pear tree and apple tree in our allotment on Saturday, but now I'm panicking! Did we plant them too close together? Without waiting till the weekend when we can get down the allotment with a tape measure, I gestimate we planted them about 6-8 feet apart, but it maybe more on the 6ft side... If that is too close, and we move one, is it best to do it next weekend?

We've been on a waiting list for the last 3 years, and now we've been let loose on a plot, it's all a massive learning curve!

Thanks in advance for your replies :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Planted fruit trees, did we do it wrong?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 21:21:22 »
What are the rootstocks? The spacing needs to be around the expected maximum height. There's no need to panic; they're easy to move if you don't let them get too big before you do it.

lauraandclive

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 21:46:05 »
Yeah, the labels are at the allotment too...  ;D

Well, two of them came from Aldi last month and the pear came from the posh garden centre and came out of a decent sized pot. Like I said, we've got a lot to learn!

But thanks for calming me down about the fact that we can move them, at least I know I haven't effectively given them a death sentence after only two days! I'll pop back on when I have gathered all the info and see what advice you might be able to offer. Thanks :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 08:47:28 »
If you don't know what rootstocks they're on, assume semi-dwarfing, and space them about 15-20 feet apart. They'll be OK whatever you do, as long as it's not silly, but spacing them out gives them a chance to give their best.

Wilder

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 09:38:14 »
I have a plum, apricot and cherry that are way too close together, but I only had a small space and I wanted the variety, so I tend to prune them so they don't come into contact, obviously I get less fruit but so far it's been more than enough for my needs with some over to give away on the plum front but it's becoming clear the cherry doesn't do so well.
St Leonard's on Sea

adeymoo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 13:07:25 »
Six feet is close but as has been mentioned pruning can assist with close spacing. Pruning as a spindlebush can allow spacing of 8 feet apart and gets possibly the heaviest yields (which is why commercial growers do it). Try and get a RHS pruning book from the library. Moving trees now is still not a problem, put a handful of bonemeal in the soil when you fill the hole to assist root growth.

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 18:15:33 »
It also depends on how you plan on training them. I have 10 across my plot and are a kind of Espalier ( still learning how to trim and changing my mind) and are approx 5' apart in two rows 4' apart , I only plan on letting them grow to about 7-8' high and 4' wide.

Neil
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 18:18:49 by nilly71 »

lauraandclive

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 23:36:29 »
I normally spend a lot of my internet time on moneysavingexpert.com, and they have a 'thanks' system which isn't available here, but thank you all for taking the time to reply to me, it's really appreciated! I'm looking forward to migrating my time to this forum and then I'll be spending less, and learning more about growing fruit and veg!

Thanks,
Laura :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal