Author Topic: Horseradish and other interesting culinary plants  (Read 1624 times)

Dirty Digger

• Quarter Acre
  • South Devon. Got a small patch and some pots.
Horseradish and other interesting culinary plants
« on: April 15, 2010, 11:34:10 »
I'd like to grow some horseradish as well as other more unusual culinary plants. I'm already growing a large array of vegetables and some soft fruit, however, i don't have any of the lesser items. I'd definitely like to grow some tea herbs and have started some mint but am lacking chamomile and most others.

If anyone can point me in the right direction as to where I could obtain such things, please let me know. Also, any suggestion for other interesting but not often grown plants would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
Re: Horseradish and other interesting culinary plants
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 11:38:52 »
you could try digging some up from the roadside (I didn't say that)

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 11:45:29 »
There is a good herb Garden/shop in candlesby. It had a really good range and the people are really friendly. if you would like i can give you direction :)

Dirty Digger

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 13:01:57 »
There is a good herb Garden/shop in candlesby. It had a really good range and the people are really friendly. if you would like i can give you direction :)

Thanks for the info but even though it's in Lincolnshire, it's still further than i'm prepared to go.

I'd prefer everything within the 5 mile or thereabouts kind of radius from my home.

greenhousegirl

• Quarter Acre
  • West Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 13:11:55 »
Try Google the items, you will probably be able to buy them online
Live life to the full, this is not a rehearsal

greenfists

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 13:32:28 »
Horseradish grows like a weed in my garden. Give me a PM and I'll dig you some up and send it to you.
Be careful where you plant it, one little bit of root and it takes over.
Camomile is planted as seeds as in this site
http://www.garden4less.co.uk/search.asp?pg=1&stext=chamomile&scat=73&gclid=CIWv8s_aiKECFdGX2AodS3cfOg

Let me know if you want some horseradish.
If you haven't got green fingers then use your fists.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 13:33:30 »
Horseradish is best planted in a big container to keep it under control. It spread six feet from the original spot in one season in my garden.

Dirty Digger

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 14:26:41 »
Horseradish grows like a weed in my garden. Give me a PM and I'll dig you some up and send it to you.
Be careful where you plant it, one little bit of root and it takes over.
Camomile is planted as seeds as in this site
http://www.garden4less.co.uk/search.asp?pg=1&stext=chamomile&scat=73&gclid=CIWv8s_aiKECFdGX2AodS3cfOg

Let me know if you want some horseradish.

cheers for the offer but i'm going to look out for some local wildly grown horseradish instead.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 16:03:42 »
about horseradish...I have said this before and going to repeat again..if you plant your horseradish in container..do lift your pot on bricks as otherwise it will escape..and trust me, it is not fun, you are quite likely never ever going to get rid of it anymore.....!

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 19:15:40 »
Not sure what you mean by "culinary plants" - do you mean those that add flavour to other dishes? Have you already considered lemon grass, ginger (indoors) and coriander (leaves and seeds) and lovage? These are lovely strong flavours. Fennel (not Florence - the leafy one)?

Dirty Digger

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 20:19:27 »
Not sure what you mean by "culinary plants" - do you mean those that add flavour to other dishes? Have you already considered lemon grass, ginger (indoors) and coriander (leaves and seeds) and lovage? These are lovely strong flavours. Fennel (not Florence - the leafy one)?

yeah that's pretty much what I mean by "culinary plants".

How well do your suggestions grow in the UK? I've already got coriander growing on the windowsill but not the others.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 11:25:42 »
Lovage is tough as old boots and so is green or bronze fennel (self seeds alarmingly, much worse spreader than horseradish and with a long strong taproot), coriander can stand the winter here. I bring my lemon grass in every winter in a large pot, but it is very happy in the ground all summer. Ginger is an experiment at the moment, very much indoors.

I have only had horseradish for 2 seasons, and am so far disappointed by its lack of spread - but I got it from a man whose allotment was indeed infested by it. He was talking to me about buying fresh root from supermarket to make his own sauce, and was quite surprised when I pointed out that he had more than enough already, as he thought it was docks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal