Author Topic: A place for newbies to introduce themselves.  (Read 334653 times)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: A place for newbies to introduce themselves.
« Reply #920 on: February 22, 2016, 08:33:47 »
Hi Gui Ross, Welcome to Allotments4all from me too, enjoy the forum  :wave:

Sounds like you had a busy first season  :icon_cheers:

I don't think you can import seed potatoes from the US. There are a few 'Blue' varieties available in the UK though, Vitelotte, Violetta and Salad Blue off the top of my head. Perhaps you have a upcoming Potato Day near you, a good chance to pick up some coloured potatoes? Or you can try growing your own blue variety from true Potato seed?

Good luck getting your lottie.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #921 on: February 22, 2016, 17:28:49 »
Hi Gui Ross, Welcome to Allotments4all from me too, enjoy the forum  :wave:

Sounds like you had a busy first season  :icon_cheers:

I don't think you can import seed potatoes from the US. There are a few 'Blue' varieties available in the UK though, Vitelotte, Violetta and Salad Blue off the top of my head. Perhaps you have a upcoming Potato Day near you, a good chance to pick up some coloured potatoes? Or you can try growing your own blue variety from true Potato seed?

Good luck getting your lottie.

I went to America in November, and checked what I was allowed to bring back seed-wise. Both TPS and potato tubers were a very definite NO.

Also I took an apple with me on the flight out there which I forgot to eat on the plane. It was confiscated at customs when I got to Dallas Fort Worth airport...

Its_Stu

« Reply #922 on: March 23, 2016, 13:51:46 »
Hello all!

I'm a very new allotment newbie having got my plot today! I've got some loose experience from helping my Grandfather as a kid, but that's about it. Having moved to the countryside recently i decided to try my hand at keeping my own allotment!

My first task is clearing the plot which will be a mammoth challenge in it's self. I'll be stalking the threads on here for the best ways to do it!

Anyway, looking forward to my stay at the forum!

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #923 on: March 23, 2016, 14:19:47 »
Welcome Its_Stu!

I'm sure you'll be growing stuff in no time ... it's a brilliant thing.  Remember with clearing the plot - don't try to do it all at once - it's impossible!  If it's a real wilderness, once you've trimmed and burnt all last years top growth, try to just do a manageable area at a time like a square yard or so and clear it really well of all roots.  You can cover other areas to dig later which will keep the spring weed growth down.  Within a few weeks of doing a square yard each visit you'll have a fairly impressive brown patch in which to put plants that you DO want!!

good luck!

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #924 on: March 24, 2016, 08:59:11 »
Hello welcome to a4e, good luck with your new adventure, I totally second what squeezy said , cover ( with cardboard, carpet, plastic , blankets anything you can get your hands on ) and do a small bit at a time. Beware of using a rotorvator as it could chop up perennial roots into a whole field of the blighters and make life much harder going forward.
Onwards and upwards
X sun loving

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #925 on: March 24, 2016, 09:55:53 »
Hello Stu welcome to the forum, it's a great place & was invaluable to me when I was a newbie. xjane

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #926 on: March 24, 2016, 13:16:00 »
welcome stu hope you enjoy this site as much as i have over the past year
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #927 on: March 24, 2016, 17:34:30 »
Welcome aboard from me too. Agree with other posters, clear a patch well, plant that patch up before moving to the next patch. Then you will have crops coming as you are clearing.

I'm sure you'll soon knock it into shape and if you get stuck with anything just ask the forum. :icon_cheers:

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #928 on: March 26, 2016, 09:22:18 »
Welcome to A4A Its_Stu, congratulations on your new plot   :wave:

TelSteph

• Not So New ...
« Reply #929 on: March 28, 2016, 22:13:14 »
Hi all. Back after a few years away from this site.
Still on the same site in Enfield, North London.
We have plots available !

Terry

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #930 on: March 29, 2016, 21:51:39 »
Hello telsteph welcome back.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #931 on: April 03, 2016, 22:14:02 »
Welcome Stu and Telsteph, glad you found us (again), enjoy the gardening :wave:

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #932 on: April 04, 2016, 11:09:45 »
Hi all. Back after a few years away from this site.
Still on the same site in Enfield, North London.
We have plots available !

Terry

Interesting to hear you have plots available - waiting list in Lewisham are around 4-5 years
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

lifesahaze

• Not So New ...
« Reply #933 on: April 06, 2016, 20:45:19 »
Hi, I'm not strictly new but I've been away for a couple of years, having been poorly and really found last year difficult.  I'm determined to do better this year both on the allotment and in the garden.  I even have a salad planter right outside my kitchen door so that if I can't go far at least I can garden a little!  Oh, and growing as many evil chillies as possible. 
Looking forward to spending more time on here - happy gardening x

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #934 on: April 07, 2016, 07:14:12 »
Welcome back Lifesahaze, I'm back myself after 4 years away. Sorry you have been so poorly, illness combined with moving made me give up my plot 4 years ago but now I have a new allotment to kick into shape so like you I am feeling determined this year  :toothy10: I will also grow bluberries & salads at home so on bad days I can at least be doing something....happy gardening to you too  :wave:

lifesahaze

• Not So New ...
« Reply #935 on: April 07, 2016, 11:53:52 »
Thanks Crystalmoon, it's a tad daunting to come back but hopefully determination can see us both through!  :happy7:

Wishing you plentiful good days for your gardening  :sunny:

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #936 on: April 08, 2016, 07:57:05 »
I'm having to be patient....not always easy for me lol....it is daunting starting a new plot but also exciting. I know I won't get to grow as much this year as I would like but I am hoping patient preparation will stand me in good stead for next year  :icon_cheers:

Main thing is not to over do it so we don't get to do any growing this year xxxx

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #937 on: April 08, 2016, 08:06:44 »
Hi, I'm not strictly new but I've been away for a couple of years, having been poorly and really found last year difficult.  I'm determined to do better this year both on the allotment and in the garden.  I even have a salad planter right outside my kitchen door so that if I can't go far at least I can garden a little!  Oh, and growing as many evil chillies as possible. 
Looking forward to spending more time on here - happy gardening x

Welcome back  :wave: Wishing you a great gardening year, I like your idea of having a salad planter so close for when you need it  :happy7:

Malcolm Brown

• Not So New ...
« Reply #938 on: May 07, 2016, 12:43:15 »
Hello from sunny South Yorkshire.  I have been gardening with Christine, the boss, for 50 years, but that doesn't mean I am an expert.  It just means that I have had plenty of time to make lots of mistakes - some of the more than once.  We have lived at the same house for 30 years where we had an Agricultural Tenancy on 15 acres where we had 13 outdoor sows and a boar, 60 odd Angora Goats and reared a steady stream of calves to 18 months.  Although there are 200 acres of woodland beyond the land is is very urban and protecting fences and livestock became too much of a hassle - as well as the steady stream of silly regulations.  So now I just have 1.25 acres nearest the house which represents a fight with brambles, bracken, nettles and horse tails, such fun.  The land is a sandy, acid South facing slope.  When we had livestock I fed more hay in July than I did in January.  Just to add to the fun my eyesight is pretty bad but it is all part of life's rich pattern.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #939 on: May 07, 2016, 17:48:42 »
Hello from sunny South Yorkshire.  I have been gardening with Christine, the boss, for 50 years, but that doesn't mean I am an expert.  It just means that I have had plenty of time to make lots of mistakes - some of the more than once.  We have lived at the same house for 30 years where we had an Agricultural Tenancy on 15 acres where we had 13 outdoor sows and a boar, 60 odd Angora Goats and reared a steady stream of calves to 18 months.  Although there are 200 acres of woodland beyond the land is is very urban and protecting fences and livestock became too much of a hassle - as well as the steady stream of silly regulations.  So now I just have 1.25 acres nearest the house which represents a fight with brambles, bracken, nettles and horse tails, such fun.  The land is a sandy, acid South facing slope.  When we had livestock I fed more hay in July than I did in January.  Just to add to the fun my eyesight is pretty bad but it is all part of life's rich pattern.
hi malcom hope you enjoy a4a as i have   
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal