Author Topic: A place for newbies to introduce themselves.  (Read 335016 times)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: A place for newbies to introduce themselves.
« Reply #820 on: October 25, 2013, 08:55:48 »
Welcome to all new members on this board.  Thank you for telling us a bit about where and how you garden. Don't worry Sparrow, I used to find this site quite confusing at first (and I know I'm not the only one ..........).  I only wrote my introduction after Jayb kindly told me where to find this thread.

Nige, I don't want to sound too discouraging, but don't we all have a difficult weed of some sort or another?  I dig out bindweed roots diligently every year and pull what comes up, but in the end there will always be some bindweed of several types.  The much maligned couchgrass or nettles are easy to deal with by comparison  :BangHead:  As long as you keep your marestail under control and it doesn't take away from the plants you want to grow, maybe you could just live with it.  Although I read that others have successfully eradicated it on their plots by persistent weedkiller application and will tell you how they have achieved it.

Welcome to all new A4Aers, there is a lot of good info on this site.  Try the search function out too.  Looking forward to getting to know you better and reading your posts.

Galina

nephilim

• Not So New ...
    • Dads Man Cave
« Reply #821 on: November 10, 2013, 16:26:29 »
Hi guys

Long time lurker, first time poster here. Name is Carl, but nickname is nephilim, I go by either (or a deviation of both).

I sadly lack proper space to do any proper growing, however I actively forage in my area (every year with my daughter). I collect cherries, apples, blackberries and lots of other fruits and veg (nettles for example), looking next year to expand a bit more with rosehips and roses to make syrup :)

About me: I am 27. Father of 1, with a 2nd on the way. I  have been foraging for 4 years (since my daughter was born really, as I wanted to do something outdoorsy with her). I am disabled (though not registered as technically it doesn't fit the criteria). I have Menieres disease, am deaf in my left ear and losing hearing in my right ear.

When not foraging or looking at nature (I actively see what can be foraged), I spend time with my family, play games on the xbox and run my own website for dads.

I hope to be an active and contributing member here :)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #822 on: November 10, 2013, 17:01:23 »
Welcome to the forum, Carl. Great to have a forager onboard to share your knowledge.

nephilim

• Not So New ...
    • Dads Man Cave
« Reply #823 on: November 10, 2013, 17:06:51 »
Thanks. I think foraging is great fun, can easily spend the day doing it...best haul was 5kgs of cherries, 9kgs of strawbs, 15kgs of blackberries, 6kgs of apples and 4kgs of plums...all from within 2 miles of my house :D

I make jams and other preserves, along with using fruits in crumbles, puddings etc.

Jazzmini1959

« Reply #824 on: November 23, 2013, 23:49:17 »
Well hello there - I stumbled across this site whilst looking for advice on leaf mould. Seemed like a nice place to stop for a coffee and a chat so thought I would register ! My name is Rob & I have had an allotment plot since last Summer but since the weather was so very bad here last year a have only got going this year ! I took on the plot when it had 7' high brambles which stretched about 20' & now have seen my first sparse harvest this year. I really look forward to chatting with you all & getting to know you all better ! I live in Bristol, s/w England by the way & also make and sell my own preserves ! Cheers - Rob  :wave:

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #825 on: November 24, 2013, 00:11:59 »
Hi - and welcome Rob. I think you'll find us a great bunch here. There are a lot of very experienced guys and girls who are always ready to help with advice when needed. Your knowledge of preserving will, I'm sure, be of interest too!

I'm in the s/w too - Torbay.

Tricia  :wave:

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #826 on: November 24, 2013, 08:04:27 »
Hello Rob, Welcome to A4A  :wave: Good to hear 2012 didn't put you off  :happy7:
Wow, making and selling your own preserves sounds interesting, I think a couple of people here sell their excess. Is it a hobby or business for you?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Alipip

• Not So New ...
« Reply #827 on: March 01, 2014, 20:10:21 »
I already put a post somewhere else introducing myself, but as this seems to be the place to do so thought would have a go here as well :happy7:.
I am Alison, I am 45 and have 3 children and 4 grandchildren. I have an allotment on the local site and love it down there. Have been there 5 years now and really enjoy 'growing my own' and of course sharing with the family. I work in a pre school with 3 and 4 year olds mainly, and we also have some raised beds at the site so am teaching the children young just how good it can be to grow things, and also where food really comes from - not just Tesco.
My husband and I also have a smallholding where we breed rare breed pigs and keep chickens, so often the dinner on our plates is totally self produced - I like to know the meat is what I think it is, and the animals have had a good life.
I have just been invited to join the committee for the allotments, and look forward to having some input into the running of the site as it such a lovely site with some great people.
Hope to get to know some like minded people.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #828 on: March 02, 2014, 12:08:02 »
Welcome, Alipip- sounds like you're a busy woman! Let us know whereabouts in the country you are, we're a nosey lot and it helps when giving advice.

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #829 on: March 02, 2014, 14:30:22 »
Hi Alipip  :wave: and to A4a :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #830 on: March 02, 2014, 14:33:43 »
! I wonder if it would be worth it getting link to this somewhere more easier to find location..tagged on front page or something?

Oh...and welcome from me too!!!!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #831 on: March 02, 2014, 14:41:55 »
Hi Alipip  :wave: welcome to A4A

Hope you will be telling us more about your pigs, when you have the chance  :happy7:

Alipip

• Not So New ...
« Reply #832 on: March 03, 2014, 17:02:13 »
Thanks for the warm welcome  :blob7:, so nice.
I am in Essex, and we breed rare breed pigs - we have 2 sows, Marigold (who is my baby) who is an oxford sandy and black, and Daisy who is a large black. Our boar (spot) is one that we got and was meant to go for meat, but we had him from 8 weeks and he was so placid and good we decided he would make a good boar. He is an oxford sandy cross, and him and Marigold make brilliant babies between them. At the moment Daisy has 8 babies with her - they are 7 weeks old so will soon come off her, and Marigold has 6 of her babies left which were born in August - we sold the others as weaners, she had 10. Marigold is also pregnant, but Spot trod on her ear (ok they are enormous and he probably couldn't miss them) and it tore a tendon. She has had lots of love and attention and is getting better by the day. We also have 16 hens of different species - the white leghorn being my favourite as their eggs are gorgeous, and a pony which we 'inherited'.
Until we started breeding our own pigs I was vegetarian, mostly because I hated the thought of animals being raised in poor conditions, but now eat our meat and we swap other farmers for beef and lamb, so all in all am pretty much self sufficient in meat, eggs and when the allotment going well veg.

chris y

• Not So New ...
« Reply #833 on: March 05, 2014, 21:50:26 »
Hi all my name is chris & no i'm not a man haha.  I live in Walsall West Mids. My oh  & I have had an allotment now for 4yrs.
  We started allotmenteering late in our 60's but thoughrly enjoy it. :sunny:

Nige P

• Not So New ...
« Reply #834 on: March 06, 2014, 01:14:59 »
Welcome Chris from a few miles down the road in Erdington. I've only had my plot for 12 months, so you're well ahead of me :happy7:

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #835 on: March 06, 2014, 07:13:15 »
I am in Essex, and we breed rare breed pigs - we have 2 sows, Marigold (who is my baby) who is an oxford sandy and black, and Daisy who is a large black. Our boar (spot) is one that we got and was meant to go for meat, but we had him from 8 weeks and he was so placid and good we decided he would make a good boar. He is an oxford sandy cross, and him and Marigold make brilliant babies between them. At the moment Daisy has 8 babies with her - they are 7 weeks old so will soon come off her, and Marigold has 6 of her babies left which were born in August - we sold the others as weaners, she had 10. Marigold is also pregnant, but Spot trod on her ear (ok they are enormous and he probably couldn't miss them) and it tore a tendon. She has had lots of love and attention and is getting better by the day. We also have 16 hens of different species - the white leghorn being my favourite as their eggs are gorgeous, and a pony which we 'inherited'.
Until we started breeding our own pigs I was vegetarian, mostly because I hated the thought of animals being raised in poor conditions, but now eat our meat and we swap other farmers for beef and lamb, so all in all am pretty much self sufficient in meat, eggs and when the allotment going well veg.

Your pigs sound a delight and the piglets must be such fun  :toothy10:
Being self sufficient in meat and eggs and knowing where it all comes from is tops.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #836 on: March 06, 2014, 07:20:36 »
Hi Chris, Welcome to Allotments4all, glad to have you join us  :wave:
Four years, you'll both have a lot of experience, look forward to reading your posts and if you have any questions, ask away it's a helpful and friendly forum  :happy7:

pumkinlover

« Reply #837 on: March 06, 2014, 08:02:49 »
Welcome to new members
Loved reading about your pigs Alipip

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #838 on: March 06, 2014, 09:52:03 »

Well Jelly as the younger crowd might say.  Sounds absolutely fabulous..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Alipip

• Not So New ...
« Reply #839 on: March 09, 2014, 19:54:31 »
I must admit it is fantastic to have the animals - but blooming hard work!!!! Today consisted among other things trying to recapture 16 chickens which decided to find a hole in the fence and have a wander to adjoining gardens - 16 chickens can make quite a mess of a lovely garden :BangHead:, cleaning out the said chickens, getting the piglets away from their mum, and going to collect bacon we had made. Hubby is still at the farm doing the evening feeding. Didn't get down to the allotment today, but spent 4 hours down there yesterday and it was the allotment agm this morning as well.
I don't have trouble getting to sleep at night!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal