Author Topic: A place for newbies to introduce themselves.  (Read 332656 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: A place for newbies to introduce themselves.
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2010, 06:25:17 »
well worth it then aj  ;) plus its sounds so delicious!!  :)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2010, 06:38:44 »
Your plot is looking great Gp.

Hello again to Aj, busy year then  ;D
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2010, 07:37:08 »
Your plot is looking great Gp.

Hello again to Aj, busy year then  ;D

Yup - you could say that.

For the first time ever, I've run out of seedlings. Will be sowing again for England today and tomorrow. What a way to earn a crust.  ;D

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2010, 18:27:29 »
Thanks for that Jayb but you can't see the back of it clearly! Will post some after I get up there next. Stupid rain!

For something a bit summery have a look at my back garden. I opened it as part of the Crawley Down Open Gardens last year. I think a few people got quite a surprise when they walked in  ;D

http://s883.photobucket.com/albums/ac33/gpgirl/My%20garden/
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2010, 18:32:03 »
Ooooh, looks nice (where's a thumbs up smiley when I need one!).

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2010, 22:34:57 »
Wow Gp, I wish my garden was as neat and tidy. Your cat is gorgeous, looks like s/he oversees planting!  ;D
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2010, 11:57:12 »
The cat just borrows my garden, she likes the seat as well, probably uses it more than I do :)

kazzab

• Not So New ...
« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2010, 21:01:37 »
hi, my name is kaz im 43 married with 3 boys and a grandaughter, myself and my daughter in law took on an allotment around the middle of march this year, and we are working really hard to tame it, its been really hard work but ive enjoyed every minute of it, dont know if this will work but here are some pics http://s898.photobucket.com/albums/ac184/tippa2/our%20allotment/?albumview=slideshow see what you think

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2010, 21:40:13 »
Hello Kazzab

Welcome to A4A

Does the dog help with the digging? ;D

gaz2000

• Half Acre
« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2010, 21:47:03 »
welcome kaz  :)

hey the hard work is the most fun,when its all tidy as you want it you can relax with a cold beer and enjoy the fruits of your labour

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2010, 21:50:54 »
Welcome Kazzab

Wonderful work.  Lovely to see an overgrown allotment being tamed.  

Hopefully will not be long before things start to grow.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #91 on: April 28, 2010, 22:46:45 »
Welcome Kazzab - Looks like you will be ready to start planting soon. All that hard work will reward you. Let's hope we get a good summer and a great harvest this year. Happy growing!

Tricia

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2010, 22:56:31 »
Welcome kazzab,like the gate. :)
I remember our 1st plot hard work but worth it.You're doing a great job !Keep posting and let us all know how you're doing.
sanity is overated

firefightersbabe

• Not So New ...
  • A new, but enthusiastic learner!
« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2010, 23:10:08 »
Hi, my name is Judi, and my husband and myself have just signed up for an allotment.  It's an old site, being regenerated, with 20 plots, but as it is so new,  no-one has anything planted yet.  They have just finished erecting a fence around the site, and the plots have still to be marked out. 

We are both quite excited about it all, and very keen to get started.  We plan to plant potatoes, leeks, swede, peas, lettuce, rhubarb, carrots, caulis, some raspberry canes, strawberries, and some tomatoes and cucumbers (in the greenhouse).   

Am browsing here to get some tips for all that lot, and any general allotment advice, never having had one before!  Please feel free to share any golden tips you have for, well, anything allotment related!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #94 on: April 29, 2010, 06:44:09 »
Hi and welcome firefightersbabe.. hope your husband is a fireman!! Yiu will find some really good folks her with lost os good advice. I do hope you enjoy your lottie, it is exciting you all starting at the same time.
Hi Kabbaz, gosh what a lot of hard work, makes me tired even thinking about it,welcome to you too.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

kazzab

• Not So New ...
« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2010, 07:47:41 »
thanks for the welcome guys, we've still got a very long way to go, the rotovating was done last weekend and yesterday i planted lettuce, broccoli, carrots and a wigwam of sweet peas, i will put some more pics up soon. I decided not to use weedkiller on my plot so Ive handdug that patch clearing weeds and grass as i go then rotovated it and i plan to do the same with the rest of it, everyone thinks I'm barmy not weedkilling it but I'm happy doing it my way. Ive also got a few spuds in and rhubarb lots of raspberries blackberries blackcurrant gooseberries and strawberries and planted an apple tree. Ive got parsnips sweetcorn toms peppers chillis sunflowers runner beans peas all growing in modules, and going to sow loads of salad stuff very soon.

Funky Farmer

• Not So New ...
    • My Pictures
« Reply #96 on: April 29, 2010, 12:00:19 »
Hi
My name is Pete aka Funky Farmer. I live in Bedfordshire with my wife and two Scottie dogs.
My hobbies are Veg growing, Photography and caravanning, they are the main ones anyway.

Sheesh!!!! This is awful  ::)  I think I will stop now ..... Who said " Good?"

TTFN
Now where did I put that _______? ( Fill in blank space)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2010, 19:46:15 »
Hi Pete, well you have some good hobbies there and I love Scotties ,my husband still calls them Aberdeen Terriers though, so we shall look forward to getting super pictures from you, Welcome, you will enjoy this forum  so dive right in..XX Jeannne
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

firefightersbabe

• Not So New ...
  • A new, but enthusiastic learner!
« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2010, 20:04:42 »
Hi, thanks for the welcome, and yes, husband is a firefighter!!  ;D 

Because we will be late in starting this year, what do you think about planting the seeds for the veg now, in our home greenhouse, and taking them along to the allotment when it's finally ready?  Are there any veg which would not take kindly to that?  I'd reckon carrots might not like it, but unsure?   Let me know what you all think?!  Thanks!

Judi  :)

kazzab

• Not So New ...
« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2010, 07:38:35 »
Hi, thanks for the welcome, and yes, husband is a firefighter!!  ;D 

Because we will be late in starting this year, what do you think about planting the seeds for the veg now, in our home greenhouse, and taking them along to the allotment when it's finally ready?  Are there any veg which would not take kindly to that?  I'd reckon carrots might not like it, but unsure?   Let me know what you all think?!  Thanks!

Judi  :)
that's what Ive been doing firefightersbabe, the way i look at it is you've not got much to lose just the price of a few seeds, so go for it, after all you can buy all kinds of veg plants in the garden centres so why not grow your own. Good luck from a fellow newbie.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal