Author Topic: A place for newbies to introduce themselves.  (Read 328744 times)

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
Re: A place for newbies to introduce themselves.
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 17:02:03 »
 Good idea Jennine,   Hello all the newbies a very warm welcome.

The tradition on here is the newbies make the tea for the first 3months only about 3,000, cups ok,  no sugar for me please ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.

Hahahaha,  they have let you out again for the weekend Kev ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 17:04:31 by rosebud »

irnhed

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2010, 17:10:10 »
@Torreya (re: Blueberries)

I know that the 5 that I've just put in are Patriot (from the 99p shop & Lidl).  Not sure about the others, as I bought them last year and have just transplanted them.  Didn't write the names down...

I've got mine (8 in total) in lovely blue Trug buckets from Asda, filled with ericaceous soil - exactly for the ph.  Actually, thinking about it, there are 6 blueberries, and 2 cranberries.

I've sunk these into the ground, for a bit more insulation (with drainage holes drilled, and sitting on bricks for drainage).
I'd rather be digging my plot

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2010, 17:57:29 »
Great idea Jeannine and if this post is stickied no-one will have an excuse not to introduce themselves to us all.

A warm welcome to those who have already taken the opportunity. Their posts make very interesting reading.

I think most folk know that I live in Torbay having returned to the UK ten years ago after half a lifetime of living abroad. My home faces south with a small walled garden which has four raised beds and raspberries along the west facing wall, fruit trees, blueberries and gooseberries along the east facing fence and some very large shrubs (which are in the process of being dug out to make room for a pyracantha hedge) along the north facing wall.

Like Tee Gee I am well past my use by date, but somehow I still manage to keep my veggie patch going even though a failed knee replacement operation a year ago makes life difficult! I also get a great deal of pleasure from growing all my veggies from seeds.

My A4All fix each day is an absolute necessity. It is like family and gives me so much pleasure.

Tricia

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2010, 18:08:01 »
I'm all for sticky  :P
Welcome guys and girls to A4A
Asylum 4 Allotmenteers
 ;D ;D ;D

I see you've met Ower Kev already then! Hello, I'm Lishka, the Hyacinth Bucket of A4A and live not too far (trains/buses permitting) from S. Coldfield...used to do my courting when I was a lass in one of the little shelter-thingys in Sutton Park ;) ;D Shirl, of Shirltone, lives in that neck of the woods too - but she don't 'ang around the shelters, too up-market for that....she's got shares in Wilkos on the High Street 8) ;D

THANK YOU SAM for offering to make this a sticky. I'd wanted a 'welcome' place for ages but got voted down :'(...

.....everything comes to those who wait, eh?

Neat solution!

So, welcome everybody, and happy growing season to you all

:-* Lish

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2010, 19:02:39 »
Excellent idea, great execution, and an offer to be stickied too  ;D

I think a spot for newbies to say hi is FAB so Hello and welcome Torreya, Wilder, Le-y and Irnhed to A4A.
Interesting posts keep them coming  :)
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2010, 19:02:42 »
I'm sure I didn't vote against, Lishka?  Many Forums do it &, if you're brave, you expose yourself & put your toe in. With A4A, as with some other Forums, I wasn't, & don't like exposure. It took much persuasion by 'She' long gone to persuade me to creep in unseen. Thanks - I was accepted. It's been a lot of fun. And company.

Totally agree with TG about saying where you are - or put it on the MAP -  been said before - but it allows a commonsensical appreciation & reply. But also on the 'What do I look like thread' - so nice to SEE photos of who you're talking to.

= Tim

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2010, 19:14:39 »
Welcome  irnhed.  Hope you enjoy A4A. 

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2010, 19:16:47 »
Good on ya Jeanine ;D and you got stickied too!

Welcome to everyone who's newly joined. Enjoy the banter........they're all nuts here, 'cept me of course. 8)

Good to have you all on board........oh yeah, and 1 sugar and white for me. So which newbie's mashin' tea then ;D ;D ;D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2010, 22:02:29 »
welcome Torreya, Wilder, Le-y and Irnhed to A4A.

(and all the other 'lurkers' out there!!)  ;) ;) ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2010, 22:24:18 »
Well Hello, and welcome to to our 4 newbies . I was very hesitant putting this thread up but have felt for years there should be one so I stuck my nose in..... yes please make it a sticky. I often see names that I don't know and feel bad if they didn't get a welcome when others did, so I am pleased I did it now!!

I must warn you that this lot are completely nuts by the way, especially a certain few,  but there is room for a few more  nuts so welcome again.

I am completely besotted by squash  about 140 varieties at the mo, plus about 400 toms and loads of beans. Lived in the UK till  1977 went to Canada, went back to the UK in 2000 then came home again last year. Interestingly the weather on the West Coast here is very like the UK  so many of the veggies that do well here also do well there.

There is lots of info on here, so enjoy and have a super growing year.

Thanks to all who backed me up on this post, I was a wee bit unsure about posting it.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2010, 22:33:13 »
Well done Jeannine, always thought it was a case of "where do I say something" way back then ;D

Welcome to all the newbies too.

Ninny

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2010, 08:47:29 »
Hiya, guys (waving)..watch out for those seedaholics, they'll drag you in  ;D

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2010, 09:03:31 »
Hiya, guys (waving)..watch out for those seedaholics, they'll drag you in  ;D

Too late now  ::)  ;D
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2010, 09:10:45 »
I am completely besotted by squash 
XX Jeannine

Thank you Jeannine, I like you too!  ;D
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2010, 09:13:02 »
This is such a good idea Jeannine, thank you for suggesting it.

A very warm welcome to all our newbies, I hope you enjoy the forum as much as I do. :)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2010, 19:35:43 »
Stick with me newbies and you should be OK, theres a few loonies on here  :P.      ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Spudbash

• Acre
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2010, 17:21:14 »
Hello to all the Newbies who've just announced themselves and thank you to Jeannine for being such an admirable hostess!  ;D

I signed up to the forum a few weeks ago when I was itching to get started on my garden for the year and snow stopped play. It's a goldmine.

Torreya, I enjoyed visiting your website - evidently a space to watch! It's amazing that you have an apple tree that's original to the garden. Do you know which variety it is? If not, it might be a good idea to get a few shoots grafted, so that you retain the stock, even if the tree reaches the end of its life. Given that the tree's in a walled garden, it might be of historical significance - perhaps listed in one of the old books such as The Fruit Manual (Robert Hogg, 1884).

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2010, 17:46:06 »
Stick with me newbies and you should be OK, theres a few loonies on here  :P.      ;D ;D ;D
Kev forgot to post a pic of himself -
[attachment=1]
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Wilder

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2010, 10:43:54 »
LOL! Thanks so much for the warm welcome everyone, ;D ;D fascinating posts, threads and I've discovered so many amazing blogs out there through you!

what I find really warm is that no-one yet has laughed at my general lack of ignorance! I wandered into a few other places over the last year where it seemed like a PhD in soil chemistry was required!!!
St Leonard's on Sea

pookienoodle

• Half Acre
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2010, 12:36:07 »
Hi All,
My name is Linda and I live in a coastal town in South Wales.
I got an allotment late last year after a while on the waiting list,its 7 perch.
The site was originally a slaughterhouse,then allotments for many years but has not been used as such for a decade.
the council reopened the site due to increased demand.
I am a full time Mum to a 3 year old,part time chef and part time carer for my disabled husband so I have my hands quite full.
 I have grow veggies for as long as I can remember as I grew up on a smallholding,but the last few years have just been growing in grow bags in our back yard.
loving it on here as it is so full of useful advice without being condesending.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal