General > The Shed

A place for newbies to introduce themselves.

<< < (204/207) > >>

saddad:
Welcome back....

Harry:
Hi folks another newbie. Please be gentle with me.

I just got my keys to a quarter plot and I'm hoping to get some food off it this year. But oh boy, what a jungle. In spite of long waiting lists, someone let this be untended for at least a couple of years.
I'm going to be asking all sorts of newbie dumb ass questions of your folks. Sorry.
My experience extends to a bit of messing about in my back garden with 3 raised beds of 1m*2 each. I've had beetroot, carrots and about one portion each of peas and spuds, so not exactly self sufficient.
Unfortunately, I can't do some of the things which are obvious best practice, for lack of budget. E.g. i know i could pop some compost on cardboard and go all No-Dig. But I can't afford £100s worth of compost, which is what I spent on my few raised beds. So when answering my questions, please tend away from making me spend money.
I'm off to have a read around to see if any of my questions have already been answered.
H

Tee Gee:
Hi Harry

Welcome to A4A I am sure you will be made welcome dumb questions and all!

I have been around here for more years than I can remember and. I am still learning.

As an introduction to the site I will link you to my iwebsite and in particular the bit on Allotments that is a collection of does and don't,'s I have brought together, many of which I have learned here on A4A

I wish you every success with your venture!  Tg

https://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/A/Allotments/Allotment%20Blog.htm

carloso:
 :icon_cheers:

At last......... An allotment after waiting 2 years and 10 years since the last one

:toothy10:

Obelixx:
Congratulations Carloso.  Let the fun begin.

Harry - the compost you spread on cardboard is usually the stuff from your own heap so I'd make starting a composting heap a priority.  You'll have plenty pf material to fill it with a good mix of brown and green material.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version