General > The Shed

A place for newbies to introduce themselves.

<< < (202/207) > >>

galina:
Good sized plot RavenUK, congratulations.  And welcome to the group.  What is the soil like?

If you can manage to make a bed you are still in time for sowing autumn crops, like beetroot, turnip and other fast growing stuff, mooli radish and definitely lettuce.  A second bed a bit later could give you late harvesting or even overwintering crops like endive, salad, rocket, cress, land cress etc.   It might be good for morale to have something homegrown to take home very quickly, even if the rest of the allotment is not up and running yet. 

As the weeds will take over again very fast, it is a good idea to cover with black plastic to prevent weeds germinating.  It makes it easier to prepare the ground later when you get to it.   

Does the adjoining allotment holder know what the bushes are?  They must have seen them year round.   Can't tell from the pictures without closeup.

Wish you lots of energy and good luck. 

:wave:

RavenUK:
Many thanks @galina ,

I am going down tonight after work and then all weekend. I am trying to get a fence up and then at least one bed created.

Not sure on what the soil is like.

I am going to ask the site rep about the plot next to mine. As when we met, she said that the chap is looking to give up his plot this year. As he's not been down much and is struggling to keep it up. She said that I had first refusal of moving to that plot if it comes up :). Which as its got a shed, greenhouse and several raised beds and fully fenced off, I would jump at the chance.

However I will still crack on with my new plot, as until it happens I am not counting my chickens.

I will continue to take more photos and update.

Regards

Raven

saddad:
Hi Raven... how's it going... you took the plot on my birthday... and while it's not been the best season to get started hope things are going ok... any movement on the adjoining plot?

Saddad

carolinej:
Well, I'm not a newbie as much as a repeat program on Dave lol I haven't been on here for years as I gave up my allotment and didn't do much with my garden.

Now, for obvious reasons , I have a lot of time on my hands so have decided to get back to trying to sort out my jungle AKA neglected raised beds. So far, a million brambles and rogue saplings have been removed (OK, so I was always prone to exaggeration!), the greenhouse emptied (almost) and the heated propagator lugged down from the attic.

So I am raring to go. Tomatoes and peppers in the propagator and several more things to sow over the next week or so.  Seed availability is a problem, and as I am starting from scratch. I used to have so many wonderful variety of seeds, including heirloom tomatoes that were amazing (thanks to Jeannine and her amazing seed swaps).  So it's a few basic varieties for this year and then hit the seed catalogues with a vengeance in the autumn. I foresee a postie with a hernia lol

So, hello everyone, hello to the people who may have distant memories of a crazy veg grower from the ancient past. Happy Gardening!

Mimi:
Wow things have changed. A LOT!!! I was a member here many years ago and just loved it but life changes. I left my allotment when I retired and as both our daughters had settled in Australia, we decided that we would spend 1/2 year in  Aus and 1/2 yr cruising the canal navigations on our narrow boat. So my gardening is now restricted to my narrowboat roof top garden and my garden in Aus.  So, if you remember me hello again. If you don’t, then, Hi 🙋‍♀️. Good to meet you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version