Author Topic: Potting up Cuttings  (Read 2175 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Potting up Cuttings
« on: November 15, 2004, 12:09:26 »
I have a couple of trays of rooted cuttings taken in early august of half hardy plants (fuschias, osteospermums and penstemons). They are growing and have clearly rooted. I was wondering when the best time would be to pot them up.

I have read that such cuttings are best left until spring, but these young plants of mine are getting a bit spindly and over crowded, so is it better for the plants to pot them up and give them  a bit of space? Currently growing in standard seed trays.

Please advise.

Hugh_Jones

Re:Potting up Cuttings
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 18:49:48 »
If they are well rooted and starting to get overcrowded then they should be potted up without delay.  However, unless you intend to provide sufficient heat to keep them growing through the winter (over 48 degF) then you should be careful not to overpot - use the smallest size pot that each one will comfortably fit into.  If you intend to keep them growing on then you can allow a bit more space in the pot.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Re:Potting up Cuttings
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 10:02:54 »
OK Thanks Hugh  :)

Although time is getting on, i dont want to spoil them. Should beable to keep them warm enough, though like you advse i wont put them into too big pots  just yet.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal