Author Topic: Personal message  (Read 6953 times)

earlypea

• Hectare
Re: Personal message
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2010, 07:17:26 »
Some forums I go on you have to post at least 50  good posts before being allowed access to the classifieds.
Just a note of caution, not that anyone has suggested implementing a rule like that, but it seems like such a good idea.  I was a member of a really good forum for 4 years then suddenly, as it was owned by a shop, they decided if you had a certain number of posts you would get a discount.

Bedlam!!!  Every day we'd log in to find threads were scattered with scores and scores of pointless comments and questions from newbies trying to drive up their post count - and trouble is they couldn't be stopped or banned because you couldn't tell whether they were just a bit dim or madly overenthusiastic. 

All the old members complained for at least a year, but the shop loved it because they got lots of new customers.  Eventually all the worthwhile forum members had to evacuate because it was intolerable, like trying to hold a conversation in the middle of Waterloo station in the rush hour.  There's still a forum but it's totally vacuous.

Better to use individual judgement because rules get twisted.

I've been slow to swap too because it seems a bit cheeky when you don't know people.  I'd rather offer first, which is what I've done and now I'm doing the circle thing.  I didn't actually notice the seed swapping until I'd been on here for some time; I stuck around for the reports and photos on varieties which I find fascinating and inspiring!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2010, 08:05:47 »
I wouldn't like to see that happen here and feel as long we alert each other it should work,not naming names though, I would not be happy with that. The second one I mentioned I found out through another site she ran a business connected to gardening, that seemed a bit odd asking for free seeds too.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

loopyloulou

• Acre
  • oh my... thats a LOT of couch grass....
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2010, 21:12:17 »
i use freecycle a lot and got fed up of the "ill have it" emails n ppl asking me 2 deliver or else expecting me 2 sit in all day so they could "just pop in" even ignoring the rude ppl ive still had no shows and have noticed things appearing in the classified adds :( its hard 2 tell what ppl are about even in person let alone on the net so it pays 2b wary
that said i had a lot of generous a4a ers donate seeds when i started and 2 them i am still eternally greatfull im not what ud call well off and dont have much 2 offer in return  but i at least try n offer postage or failing that a please n thankyou! im unlikely 2 join a round robbin swap as ive nowt of interest n cant afford the postage but i love 2 read the progress posts!
 i guess weve all got 2 make our own decisions about who we trust n i just hope no-one thought id turned up just 4 seeds, been offline a while had a bubby done a uni course and am still clinging to my disorganised plot lol will try n remember how 2 update the pic.. have pics on facebook... ill stop now im rambling  ;D luv u guys  :-* loopy xx
i think i like it here :D now who can tell me how to grow my own chocolate???

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2010, 21:29:08 »
I buy seeds from the Wyevale sales etc. to pop in the parcels.  The best fun is to find a variety you may like and take just a pinch of seed.  If you like the produce either buy it or save own seeds.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal