Author Topic: honorary membership  (Read 1652 times)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
honorary membership
« on: March 10, 2010, 18:27:57 »
One of our plot holders who has made an enormous contribution to the running of the allotments has just announced that he is giving up his plot. He has mobility problems. I would like to make him an honorary member but realised that I'm not too sure what that implies. Does he get to vote at AGMs? Does he get invited to social events etc? Do we ask him to do anything on behalf of the allotments? How do we give him the honorary membership and how is it recorded?Does anyone have any experience of this to help? How do we make it something that is worth having?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: honorary membership
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 19:05:19 »
We just let them keep their keys and say they are welcome on site... but no voting rights (which are for plotholders) ... we are private if that makes a difference...  :-\

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 19:14:28 »
Hi grawrc, it depends what your constitution allows.  Ours requires every member to pay the membership fee without exception, though there's no requirement for members to be plot holders, though only plot holders get a vote.

I'd suggest that an honory member had all the privaledges other than voting rights and doesn't pay any subs, but you can make it what you want, though you might need to ammend your constitution to allow it.

If they're particularly special you might want to make them life president even - a non-voting seat on the committee and their name on your stationery.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 19:15:11 »
Thanks David. We are private too. i just felt that I'd like to make more of an occasion of it than just saying "you can keep your keys and you're welcome any time".

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 19:15:37 »
we made Eric life president, again, no votes but we ask lots of advice

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 19:17:27 »
UNWASHED, MANICS THAT SOUNDS LIKE THE KIND OF THING I HAD IN MIND. WHAT DOES "LIFE PRESIDENT" MEAN AND ENTAIL PLEASE?
Oops sorry hit the caps key! :-[

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 19:21:41 »
means he's welcome to come onto the site(usually when the kettle's on), he can attend meetings, we ask his advice if necessary, he was chairman for 8 years so his experience helps...he's got far too much growing experience to be let go...he doesn't have a plot anymore, he's got mobility problems and is emigrating to south africa if he can sell his house  ;D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 19:25:10 »
sounds like a clone! ;) Our guy wasn't chairman but he was secretary and treasurer and virtually ran the allotments for many years.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 19:26:09 »
we'll miss him when he goes, he takes the money at the plant sale  :o
still, his arthritis will be much better over there  ;D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 20:49:19 »
If he gets to keep his keys, give them to him on a Speshul Keyring , spec' the budget won't run to gold-plating the key? ;) :P Won't take much to make a fuss of him & make him feel special and appreciated, sounds as though he deserves it 8)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 21:12:59 »
perhaps you could organise it for a small news item with photo's of the ceremony to be in local press?.
 ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 09:14:16 »
Good thinking Tony 8)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal