Author Topic: No audio, help!!!!!!!!  (Read 2558 times)

pjb

• Quarter Acre
No audio, help!!!!!!!!
« on: March 02, 2010, 08:46:51 »
I've got a new pc (well new to me) and can't get any audio/sounds, if I go to "volme control" it says "no audio device fitted", in hardware manager it says there is a Legacy soundcard and driver and no problems??? there are no system sounds either. Speakers are brand new and I've tried other speakers.
I downloaded a Realtek driver but when I tried to install it it would turn off the pc  ???
Any help much appreciated.

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: No audio, help!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 08:56:28 »
Is there actually a soundcard in the PC as distinct from the onboard sound? It may be that the setting needs changing in the BIOS to enable or disable onboard sound.

pjb

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 09:11:12 »
Is there actually a soundcard in the PC as distinct from the onboard sound? It may be that the setting needs changing in the BIOS to enable or disable onboard sound.
Hi, yes there is a sound card, how would I check the setting in BIOS?, thanks.

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 09:15:37 »
 Restart the PC and press F2 or sometimes DEL as it starts to power up. Normally there is a message saying Press **** to Enter BIOS as the PC is starting.

In the BIOS go to Advanced/Peripherals and check that Onboard sound is disabled if you're using a separate soundcard.

pjb

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 08:34:22 »
Restart the PC and press F2 or sometimes DEL as it starts to power up. Normally there is a message saying Press **** to Enter BIOS as the PC is starting.

In the BIOS go to Advanced/Peripherals and check that Onboard sound is disabled if you're using a separate soundcard.
I've tried it enabled and disabled, no joy either way, (sound of hair being pulled out)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 09:14:59 »
What makeis the PC and do you have the correct driver for the sound card? Do you know what the sound card is?
This happened to one of my PCs the other day - same "no audio device...".  Ran the setup for the driver and all was well.

Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

pjb

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 08:06:39 »
What makeis the PC and do you have the correct driver for the sound card? Do you know what the sound card is?
This happened to one of my PCs the other day - same "no audio device...".  Ran the setup for the driver and all was well.

The pc is Asus(?) and the sound card/driver is Legacy, I found a function in Device Manager to check the sound card/driver and that say's it's functining correctly, but in volume control I get "No audio device",  ??? ??? ???

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 12:58:35 »

The pc is Asus(?) and the sound card/driver is Legacy, I found a function in Device Manager to check the sound card/driver and that say's it's functining correctly, but in volume control I get "No audio device",  ??? ??? ???

Mmmm - still think with the correct driver setup all would be well...
The leagcy device is I believe for running sound in DOS - you need the setup disk for the windows drivers.  Did you system come with a disk?

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Try here - it has an autodetect function for asus motherboards which may or may not work but great when it does..

If

pjb

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 08:57:13 »
Well I visited the site above and downloaded "SoundMAX", still no sounds. I then found my way into Device Manager and made SoundMAX my default audio playback device and instant sound! V happy ;D

Many thanks for your help, much appreciated.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 09:35:53 »
Excellent! Happy to have been some help. ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal